Chestnut 12/22 Pics

Old December 23rd 04, 01:25 AM
uglymoney

Default Chestnut 12/22 Pics

Very cold skiing today with the westerly wind blowing the zero degree
air upslope. Cold enough that snowmaking ran all day without sticking
to goggles. I arrived and several busloads of kids were in the
parking lot. For about twenty minutes there was a couple of hundred
kids hording the begginer area. For the next five hours there was a
couple hundred kids in the cafeteria. I had to wait for someone to
ride the chair with.

Conditions were bulletproof. Excellent snow. Fun, fun, fun. I love
skiing, especially in the freezing cold. Its all about the mittens.

Skied several laps with this guy. From Texas, and he was damned good.
Ski's Utah mostly. Today, he opted for Chestnut.

http://home.mchsi.com/~uglymoney2/chestnuttexan.jpg

The very top steep portion of Warpath, and the backside were closed.
Everything else was open, including lower warpath. I lapped it all
day.

http://home.mchsi.com/~uglymoney2/warpath.jpg

I've always had a fascination with snowmaking equipment, especially
when its cold, and cranked up. This polecat is set up on an elaborate
pole.

http://home.mchsi.com/~uglymoney2/coolpolecat.jpg

A look north toward Dubuque up the Mississippi.

http://home.mchsi.com/~uglymoney2/coolpolecat.jpg

A good day. I'd like to extend my thanks to the Mississippi river for
providing the water, and coal generated electricty that powers the
pumps and blowers, and the hardworking guys in coveralls who haul the
hoses, clear the ice, and generally have a nasty job so that guys like
me can smile and lay down sweepers.

Did I mention that I love skiing?

nate
Old December 23rd 04, 01:30 AM
uglymoney

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 02:25:27 GMT, uglymoney
wrote:

A look north toward Dubuque up the Mississippi.

http://home.mchsi.com/~uglymoney2/apacheview.jpg

nate
Old December 23rd 04, 01:51 AM
Jack Nixon

uglymoney wrote:

[...]

Mr. Money is on the money once again.

Jack

Old December 23rd 04, 04:26 PM
bdubya

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 02:25:27 GMT, uglymoney
wrote:

(cool stuff snipt)

Cooo-welll! We'll have to get out that way soon.

I'll spare everybody the details of last Friday's Alpine Valley (WI)
40th Anniversary $5 Lift Ticket night, except to say that the lift
lines prompted more than one pause for a Stevie Ray Vaughan Memorial
Beer....

bw
Old December 24th 04, 02:13 AM
uglymoney

wrote:

(cool stuff snipt)

Cooo-welll! We'll have to get out that way soon.

If you ever get days off during the week, Wed. it is $33 for lift,
lunch and cocktail. They have a great bar menu, real bar food, and
its a cool bar. The voucher gives you $8 for a meal, $3 for drink.
Its a good deal me thinks.

I'll spare everybody the details of last Friday's Alpine Valley (WI)
40th Anniversary $5 Lift Ticket night, except to say that the lift
lines prompted more than one pause for a Stevie Ray Vaughan Memorial
Beer....

I was over that way this summer for margarita's and Jimmy Buffet.
Beautiful valley, and IIRC I took a good long look at the ski area
before succumbing to all the Cabo Wabo. It looked like gentle
cruising terrain - very pretty little valley.

nate