Ski repair

Old March 27th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Ski repair

Hi group,

A couple of weeks ago, I felt badly and my knee hit the ski directly,
embossing it profoundly; now the ski has a major weakness at this spot
- about 40 cm in front of the binding. And it can now fold at this
spot when I pull the tip! Almost broken! However, the polyethylene
sole is still untouched and OK. The ski (old Karhu Hydro Classic
Racing - but they are dead fast in wet conditions!) is made of
carbon(?) honeycomb in the inside.
I think I can fix it using fiberglass and epoxy, but I am not sure how
to proceed (remove the top liner and apply epoxy and fiberglass). Does
anyone have had any experience with this type of repair ? Or should I
just forget about it?

Thanks for your kind help,

Rock
Still on snow in QC

PS Many thanks for the ski torrent makers this year that made my
winter evenings enjoyable (to my wife's despair(!)).

Old March 27th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Norski

Brian May and Grant Nelson did a nice writeup back in Feb 28, 2006 on how to
repair a damaged tip. I'll e-mail you a copy of the article.
Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

--

Paul Haltvick
Bay Design and Build - LLC

oups.com...

Old March 28th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
kskier

I would advise you not to waste your time,,,,,,Once you have
compromised the ski as you have, it will not hold up to any kind of
repair. The front part of the ski is where you get the most flex, and
once the core is cracked, that's it!

Old March 28th 07, 10:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Mar 27, 8:41 am, wrote:
[...]

Here is the link to the ski repair article with some great photos.

http://skinnyski.com/gear/products/a...irepair-1.html

Greg Fangel

Old March 28th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Thank you guys for the great solution, at least I can plan to use
these skis, once repaired, as rock-skis (early training skis).
I will keep you inform whether the method shown by May and Nelson
worked out or not.

Rock