Summit County Colorado Conditions

Old January 25th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
rvfulltime

Default Summit County Colorado Conditions

In the past 9 days we have skied six times in the Summit County area.
This includes Breckenridge, Keystone, Loveland, Copper Mt. (twice), and
Ski Cooper.

The weather has been pretty good. Cold and windy for the first few times
but warmer and calmer most recently. Yesterday at Copper Mt. it actually
got above freezing. Only one day was it cloudy. It snowed about 2 inches
total during the 9 day span.

The snow on the slopes is thin. You may have read about all the snow
Denver has been getting this year. Well, those same snow storms haven't
hit Summit County. The base depth is advertised as being 42 to 45 inches.
There are lots of rocks and bare spots showing. The groomers have
scraped dirt in lots of places. I rode Storm King at Copper and really gouged
my skis on some rocks. Keystone still has quite a few runs closed including
Mine Shaft, but it is on a south facing slope.

The drivers are still as bad as ever. In one 1/2 mile stretch near Copper, I
had 3 cars pull out right in front of me causing me to hit the brakes. At
another ski area someone was passing other cars in the parking lot in the
morning less than 100 yards away from their final parking spot. We
witnessed the remains of two collisions on I-70 where wreckers had to haul
away the remains of vehicles.

Old January 26th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MichaelJP

"rvfulltime" wrote in message
[...]

Those must be awful big rocks to stick through a base of 42 inches!

Surely you're not suggesting that the snow report is somewhat... optimistic?

Old January 26th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
rvfulltime

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:43:07 -0000, "MichaelJP" wrote:

"rvfulltime" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Snow gets packed down, so the actual depth on runs is always less. In the
upper areas, above tree line, the snow is always thinner and rocks are always
very common. The grooms also will scrape down to the bare ground on
occasion.