Wretched situation: I catch a cold after most hard workouts

Old November 30th 03, 12:23 AM
Jeff Potter

Default Wretched situation: I catch a cold after most hard workouts

It seems like I go from cold to cold the past couple years.

After I get over one cold I gradually build back up to an eager hard
workout...then I catch another cold!

It just happened again. Rats!

And my colds tend to last 2 weeks! RATS!

Maybe it's happening because I don't eat right after these hard efforts.
Hmm. I usually eat a fresh-food dinner. I just read the latest "Master
Skier" that said that one has lots more free radicals and oxidizing
going on after hard workouts which suppress the immune. I guess I've
known about this suppression but haven't realized or remember that I get
so vulnerable when I'm feeling so healthy. Maybe I should start taking
or eating something after these hard efforts. ??

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old November 30th 03, 12:19 PM
taywood

Jeff Potter wrote:
It seems like I go from cold to cold the past couple years.

After I get over one cold I gradually build back up to an eager hard
workout...then I catch another cold!

Our TV doctor said there are over 200 known cold viruses
and if you get a second cold attack it doesnt mean its a re occurance
of the first.
She also insisted that colds are spread by people, and by groups
of people eg school, shops and workplace.

So, for the period of onsnow training and racing, how about putting
your bed in the den,make a germfree zone, use a chemical toilet,
have meals passed in thru a serving hatch, wave at the kids thru
the window, dont let anyone in to your car and live the life of a hermit.
No? well it sounded like a good idea, do you think Jacko would
do this?
Mike
Old November 30th 03, 02:55 PM
J999w

Yeah, try to trim down your person to person contact when in heavy training.
Kick doors open with your feet or hips, wear a mask at all holiday parties, and
wash those hands!

:^]

jw
milwaukee
Old December 2nd 03, 02:50 PM
Dell Todd

It seems like I go from cold to cold the past couple years.

After I get over one cold I gradually build back up to an eager hard
workout...then I catch another cold!

It just happened again. Rats!

And my colds tend to last 2 weeks! RATS!

Maybe it's happening because I don't eat right after these hard efforts.
Hmm. I usually eat a fresh-food dinner. I just read the latest "Master
Skier" that said that one has lots more free radicals and oxidizing
going on after hard workouts which suppress the immune. I guess I've
known about this suppression but haven't realized or remember that I get
so vulnerable when I'm feeling so healthy. Maybe I should start taking
or eating something after these hard efforts. ??

Yes you can have a much better recovery from intake directly after the
workout.

If I drive to a workout, I always pack a banana for immediate recovery
for the ride the home, then I get more serious about it when I get
home. When I finish a workout @ the house, I make a protein smoothie
which is incredibly helpful:

1 yogurt
1.5c OJ
1c frozen fruit such as berries or tart cherries from Northern
Michigan. Must be Michigan Cherries for best recovery, no doubt.
Ideally, Traverse City tart cherries, grown near the TC VASA trails,
known locally as the TART trails.
..5c milk
1 banana or kiwi
2 scoops protein powder - any kind
hit frappe

Not after every workout - but after the long & / or intense ones. I
never have nothing after any workout - I always eat & drink. Oh- I'm
on a pretty healthy streak, but I am struggling with overtraining, &
the resulting sleep deficit makes it tough to crawl out. I should be
better this week. I hope.

I know you read your recent copy of MasterSkier because you were
quoting from it. Also in that issue are a pair of articles about
nutrition & recovery. It's all there mate.
Old December 23rd 03, 12:56 AM
Rapid Rick

Recovery is good. After Sunday's 1:15 ski in the melting slush, a package
from Mom was waiting at the house. Christmas cookies and milk work well
also...

--
Raider Rick
"Just ski, baby"