US skiers

Old December 5th 11, 03:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
NormG

Default US skiers

Richard Henry wrote:
On Dec 4, 2:44 pm, down_hill wrote:
Did pretty well this weekend.
Miller's win was a surprise.

I don't know why any ski area would sponsor big downhill races. It
interferes with the regular customers and is impossible to watch
except by coverage with multiple TV cameras.

Not a huge fan of racing either, but I do recognize the value of publicity.
They do it to have their name appear in as many places as possible. Brand
recognition, same as any product. And if you put a few extra bodies in the
resort as a result, be they spectators or competitors, that helps to pay a
bill or two as well. Corporations really have no interest in their regular
customers convenience as long as it doesn't interrupt the flow of revenue.

Old December 5th 11, 03:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 4, 9:14*pm, down_hill wrote:

It is a little different if you get to interact with Paul Newman, Gene
Hackman & that guy from airplane spoof movies richard hayes. Gave tom
cruise a hard time every chance, walter payton was a real nice guy ran
GT1 for a few years. You do not get to pick and choose the weather
either and it makes for great times at the free beer after the event.
Being a participant is more fun than sitting on a couch.

I don't know. I've interacted with many a celebrity at those made for
TV ski races. Lots of racers/celebs there too. But it's funny, I've
given Tom Cruise a ration too! I don't think Richard picked the
weather, it dumped at the Heavenly event I worked. Lucky for me I got
to ski during the day. My "work" was running film early and late in
the event when the lifts were not open. We didn't have a beer tent. We
were stationed at the Embassy Suites on State Line for the Heavenly
event. They had a very nice bar. That is where Franz Klammer put the
condom over his head and blew it up until it exploded.

The event a Telluride was pretty sedate though.
Old December 5th 11, 03:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 5, 9:25*am, "NormG" wrote:

Not a huge fan of racing either, but I do recognize the value of publicity.
They do it to have their name appear in as many places as possible. Brand
recognition, same as any product. And if you put a few extra bodies in the
resort as a result, be they spectators or competitors, that helps to pay a
bill or two as well. Corporations really have no interest in their regular
customers convenience as long as it doesn't interrupt the flow of revenue..

The World Cup Races in Park City pushed by Craig Badami were
instrumental in bring the Olympics to Utah. The proof that a backwoods
place stuck 25 years behind the rest of the world could pull something
like that off. The courses themselves turned out to be very difficult
with very few men finishing the GS. Very steep and icy right out of
the gate. Stenmark made 5 gates.

Old December 5th 11, 04:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

pigo wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:14 pm, wrote:

[...]

The SCCA has a beer party after every day for the volunteer corner
workers and other race officials. The joke is after 10 hours you get a
beer, and it is volunteer work because it is too dangerous to be paid
work as OSHA would have regulations regarding how you rescue somebody
from a burning over turned car. So you have a chance to be maimed or
killed for a beer payment.

6:30 in west virgina he steps out of hotel room just as I am getting out
of mine. My comment was Tom no young girls you want me to get you some?
His response was oh no Paul warned me about you. He went and had
breakfast with my helper who caught sun stroke the day before and was
useless.
Old December 5th 11, 04:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 5, 10:08*am, down_hill wrote:

6:30 in west virgina he steps out of hotel room just as I am getting out
of mine. My comment was Tom no young girls you want me to get you some?
His response was oh no Paul warned me about you. He went and had
breakfast with my helper who caught sun stroke the day before and was
useless.

I passed one of our limos that I knew had Tom in it via radio chatter.
Over the radio I said "Ellen, Why is Tom driving your car? And where
are you? I didn't see you in the car........."
Old December 5th 11, 05:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Dec 5, 9:08*am, down_hill wrote:
pigo wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:14 pm, *wrote:

[...]

Holy ****. Dumb**** Downhill claims to have pimped for Tom Cruise and
Paul Newman.
Irony meter pops a cherry.
Old December 5th 11, 05:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Dec 5, 9:21*am, pigo wrote:
On Dec 5, 10:08*am, down_hill wrote:

6:30 in west virgina he steps out of hotel room just as I am getting out
of mine. My comment was Tom no young girls you want me to get you some?
His response was oh no Paul warned me about you. He went and had
breakfast with my helper who caught sun stroke the day before and was
useless.

I passed one of our limos that I knew had Tom in it via radio chatter.
Over the radio I said "Ellen, Why is Tom driving your car? And where
are you? I didn't see you in the car........."

Two drunken idiots namedropping. Hilarious.
Old December 7th 11, 01:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

On Dec 4, 11:09*pm, pigo wrote:

While I prefer to watch them on TV, I have been to races of all of the
disciplines. That is fun too. Different, and you might not see the
whole thing. But the sensation of speed is much greater and the sounds
more dramatic.

More cowbell!

Dave

Old December 7th 11, 01:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
Dave Stallard wrote:

On Dec 4, 11:09*pm, pigo wrote:

While I prefer to watch them on TV, I have been to races of all of the
disciplines. That is fun too. Different, and you might not see the
whole thing. But the sensation of speed is much greater and the sounds
more dramatic.

More cowbell!

Dave

When we watched the women's super-G at the Vancouver Olympics, it was
disappointing that there was no way to watch live other than in the
finish area...

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old December 7th 11, 04:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 6, 6:03*pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
*Dave Stallard wrote:

On Dec 4, 11:09 pm, pigo wrote:

While I prefer to watch them on TV, I have been to races of all of the
disciplines. That is fun too. Different, and you might not see the
whole thing. But the sensation of speed is much greater and the sounds
more dramatic.

More cowbell!

Dave

When we watched the women's super-G at the Vancouver Olympics, it was
disappointing that there was no way to watch live other than in the
finish area...

Security?

VT skiers down_hill Alpine Skiing 145 September 26th 11 07:25 PM
Skiers in NC? bigsphinx Nordic Skiing 0 January 23rd 11 03:00 PM
Why no US skiers in TdS? Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com) Nordic Skiing 12 January 10th 08 02:21 PM
Recommendations for mixed groups, skiers and non-skiers ? John Owens European Ski Resorts 0 July 11th 05 11:47 AM
Why don't more skiers use RSN? Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 36 December 3rd 03 02:49 AM