Roller Ferrules

Old October 7th 03, 02:18 PM
Dave Kiely

Default Roller Ferrules

How long do roller ferrules typically last for people? I put new ones on
this year and they seem to chipping away much more than in previous years,
not just dulling but chipping. Do folks get 1000K, 2000K, 500K...Probably
depends a bit on how you sharpen I would think and other variables as well
but thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Dave

Old October 8th 03, 02:32 AM
Erik Brooks

This is just a guess, but if they are actually chipping, I'd suspect a
flaw in the metal used.

Old October 8th 03, 05:32 AM
Cyrus

Surprised this has not been talked about more.
I find that stock rollerski ferrules are made of a relatively soft carbide
and wear out really fast. I have a carbide grinding stone on my bench
grinder and make them needle sharp just before each workout. This wears out
the tips really fast though and are only ood for 200km on the frozen
pavement we have here.
What we did to get some better tips was us an old saw blade with thick
diamond teeth (luckily my coach has access to lots of old broken tools) and
shape them into the proper size to fit a ferrule. These tips either work
great and stay sharp MUCH longer or break after one stride. It is rather hit
and miss but getting when you find that one good tip, your poles never slip.
Does anyone have any other ideas where to find good high quality diamond for
pole tips? The main flaw of the saw blade one is that the diamond will break
off of the main saw body right where they are spot welded on.

Hope this helps,

Cyrus

Old October 8th 03, 05:40 PM
Cyrus

The piece we remove from the saw is mostly steel with the little diamond (or
carbide) tip on the end. We take the old worn out tip from the ferrule by
heating the plastic and then with some vice grips pry the tip out. You have
to make sure that there is enough plastic on the ferrule to hold the new
tip. If it is worn out a little bit it will not hold the new tip properly.
This doeasn't seem to be a problem for me though as I always try to make the
new tip fit as snugly as possible. We usually put a bit off glue in there
for good measure.
It is very easy to shape the saw blade tip because most of the blade is
made from steel. We just hold the tip in some vice grips and grind away
using a bench grinder while comparing size to the old worn tip. Also, keep a
tin of cold water nearby to cool the tip after some grinding.

Another pole tip idea my coach said he used to use way back when was the
carbide studs off winter car tires. I am trying to get my hands on something
like this mainly because it should be made entirely out of carbide not
carbide spot welded to steel. If the studs are good enough for rally cars
they better be good enough for pole tips.

Cyrus

Old October 9th 03, 05:25 AM
Serge

good idea. carbide ferrules are not very durable indeed. ski shops are
pricing them up to $16 for a set.

carbide tips on tools like table saw blade are soldered w/high temp. solder.
And these tips should be available in bulk.

I think i gonna make steel insert and solder carbide tip every now and then.
Of course insert should be removed from ferrule for that.
It will require acetylene torch that i have on hand but i understand
it is not everybody's household item.

Also trekking poles come w/carbide tip and i saw them on sale at R.E.I.
for $2 but the shape is wrong and it will take some effort to reshape it.
Old October 16th 03, 02:32 AM
John & Janet Craychee

I use the regular baskets--same as for snow. I sharpen with a diamond file
about every 40-50 kilometers. I like them sharp--I hate it when they slip.
They last a long time--I would guess at least 500 kilometers by the time I
have sharpened them all the way down to a nub.
Making your own carbide tips is an intriguing idea. Industrial supply
houses sell carbide in all types of shapes. For example, www.mcmaster.com
list many types--maybe there is something there that would be useful.
m...

Old October 16th 03, 12:31 PM
Rob Bradlee

--- John & Janet Craychee wrote:
I use the regular baskets--same as for snow. I sharpen with a
diamond file
about every 40-50 kilometers. I like them sharp--I hate it when they
slip.
They last a long time--I would guess at least 500 kilometers by the
time I
have sharpened them all the way down to a nub.

Yes, but 500 KM would only last some of us a month or two and we roll
for 8 months. The roller ferrules last longer and don't break as
easily.

I do agree on regular (every workout for me) sharpening. Biggest
mistake I see skiers making - rolling with way dull tips.

Rob Bradlee

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old October 18th 03, 01:16 PM
Rob Bradlee

The 500K+ I get from using regular Swix baskets isn't so bad, but
the fact I've had a couple tips pop out and I've bent a few ferules
is a bigger deal. I'm trying to exert less force, but I'm still
bending ferules.

Don't want to hold back on the force!

Is there a recommended brand of roller ski ferule? (Or a link to
a website.) Before I phone my local ski shop, I'd like to know
exactly what to ask for. Thanks.

I've used both Exel and Swix. Both worked fine for me.

=====

Old October 18th 03, 03:10 PM
Fitzgerald

I just tried the Jenex and they work just fine. No flats either!!??!!