what do you do in the offseason? thinking of trying a new sport

Old March 11th 11, 02:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

Default what do you do in the offseason? thinking of trying a new sport

On Mar 11, 7:56*am, pigo wrote:
On Mar 11, 5:05*am, wrote:

That's a good deal. *I golf every day, weather permitting. *I'm sure I
got in 20 days in October. *But I don't like to go to the same course
every day. *That's why I don't join a country club. *With the high
fees you are locked in or you're throwing away money unless you're
playing every day. *It's nice to hit two or three different courses
throughout the week.

Our season pass is $800 for the both of us. Then I pay about $110 for
some coupons at different courses that get me about 8 each of free
rounds, twofers, bogo, b2g2, free beer, range balls......

The country clubs where I play as guests cost my friends, $15K to $50K
to join and a five hundred per month which you can reduce by the
amount you spend in the bar and restaurant. Not worth it for me. But
golf is pretty civilzed too. If it were to go all ghetto like so much
of our society (and skiing) I'd probably look at a club.

I'm going to go down to the beach in Seattle at 11 am this morning.
I'll take a bag of cash with $10K in it. If anyone comes down to meet
me I'll call you names and give you the money. :-)

OOPs! I was on east coast time. I'll be there between 8 and 10 local
time.
Old March 11th 11, 02:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 3/10/11 4:18 AM, wrote:

I found out that I would have to
golf there three times a week for 15 weeks just to make it pay for
itself.

What? You don't follow your passion more than 45 days a year?
Old March 11th 11, 03:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

pigo wrote:
On Mar 10, 9:15 pm, wrote:

I know they do it, it is really tragic that they fail to understand much
about vehicle dynamics. At speeds over 100 the rear spoiler starts to
make downforce and if you do not have a comparable amount of downforce
being generated in front the car will start to get light in front. There
reducing your steering and ability to put down power. If you ever lift
while going about a turn in a front engined car the radius the car needs
to turn will increase. So you make a uncontrollable death trap.

I understand what you are saying. But wouldn't the angled front of the
car act like the spoiler and put downforce on the front too?

And what about those spoilers that look like wings, space underneath?
Is it just their configuration that keeps them from acting like wings
and producing lift?

Aerodynamics is tricky things need to tested in wind tunnel or cfd
analysis. You can also use track testing. Taping yarn to various parts
of the car and photographing it for analysis. Plus if you have a good
driver you can get feedback, but then it is what makes it good for him.
But in the case of standard cars sedans being converted to race vehicles
generating front downforce is a issue. Many of the endurance cars sprout
winglets or other devices to control flow. Flat bottoms can be an issue
as you get lift in front and if you get enough air you start to fly.
Wings when first introduced were the inverse of a airplane wing now with
developments they come in all shapes. In a formula car a little dent in
the front wing can change the whole outcome the car will start to
understeer. But the primary difference is if you go off on a race track
there is people in white suits to help get you out of car and put out
fire. Or in the case of smoke they pull fire bottle creating many hours
of cleanup when it was just a little steam from the overflow tank.

I remember Dynastar has skis that had holes in the front up on the
shovel. The wind was supposed to dampen the vibarations. Problem was
that you needed to be going over 100 mph to produce enough force to
affect the ski.

we put a four foot 1 inch bar on roll bar perpendicular to direction of
travel, at 120 mph the amount of drag was wild the top speed we could
get out of car was about 10 miles less. This I did back in 84 so I can
not recall exact data points.
speed makes a big difference

Old March 11th 11, 03:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Mar 11, 3:50*am, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 21:16:39 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

A friend's daughter (who took up the game about a year ago) just joined
the men's team at the local Country Club, although she's just a member
of the Golf Club. *$Big difference$ apparently. *Her first tournament
was a week ago and people told her parents that if she hadn't been
spooked by the audience she would have won. *

That happens to some people. *I have the advantage of being a former
fashion model and a retired military officer so I don't mind the crowd
and I even feed off of them. *I psych myself up on important shots,
sometimes saying things like, "If I make this shot I'll get one
hundred thousand dollars, my picture on the cover of Sports
Illustrated and a date with a super model."

Hey, how do supermodels react when they find out you wear a diaper?
Definition of a Detroit supermodel: a skank with all her teeth.
Old March 11th 11, 03:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Mar 11, 6:47*am, pigo wrote:
On Mar 10, 10:16*pm, The Real Bev wrote:

me bring in my own beer.

A friend's daughter (who took up the game about a year ago) just joined
the men's team at the local Country Club, although she's just a member
of the Golf Club. *$Big difference$ apparently. *Her first tournament
was a week ago and people told her parents that if she hadn't been
spooked by the audience she would have won. *Some people just have
skillz :-(

Golf is handicapped.

Do they give you strokes off for playing in a diaper?
Old March 11th 11, 03:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

Brain Fried Bob Thompson went bonzo:

The country clubs where I play as guests cost my friends, $15K to $50K
to join and a five hundred per month which you can reduce by the
amount you spend in the bar and restaurant. Not worth it for me. But
golf is pretty civilzed too. If it were to go all ghetto like so much
of our society (and skiing) I'd probably look at a club.

Skiing has gone ghetto?
bWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA
Even whiter than golf. Insane.
Tell ya what, Tranny Boob. You should have shown up at the "ghetto"
that is Dear Valet and I would have gone ghetto on your pathetic ass.
Old March 11th 11, 03:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Mar 11, 7:38*am, lal_truckee wrote:
On 3/10/11 4:18 AM, wrote:

I found out that I would have to
golf there three times a week for 15 weeks just to make it pay for
itself.

What? You don't follow your passion more than 45 days a year?

This year I might be getting about 20 and feeling lucky to get it.
Old March 11th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Mar 11, 9:10*am, down_hill wrote:

we put a four foot 1 inch bar on roll bar perpendicular to direction of
travel, at 120 mph the amount of drag was wild the top speed we could
get out of car was about 10 miles less. This I did back in 84 so I can
not recall exact data points.
speed makes a big difference

Anyone that skis and can get into a good tuck can feel the difference
in resistance and speed VERY easily.
Old March 11th 11, 03:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 3/9/2011 12:27 PM, VtSkier wrote:
On 03/09/2011 12:25 PM, VtSkier wrote:
Oh, and I got it a little bit wrong, it
should be:
"Veritas sed non hokum".

When you are all stumped, I'll supply a reference.

It's deja vu all over again:

http://www.sporttaco.com/rec.skiing....skis_3929.html

//Walt
Old March 11th 11, 03:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 03/11/2011 11:37 AM, Walt wrote:
On 3/9/2011 12:27 PM, VtSkier wrote:
On 03/09/2011 12:25 PM, VtSkier wrote:
Oh, and I got it a little bit wrong, it
should be:
"Veritas sed non hokum".

When you are all stumped, I'll supply a reference.

It's deja vu all over again:

http://www.sporttaco.com/rec.skiing....skis_3929.html

//Walt

Actually that was a pretty fun thread, going, as it
did, from what to do with old skis to hanta virus.
I'd like to see some ski related threads as fun as
that one crop up here again from time to time.