Ping Mr. Robert Lee

Old April 13th 05, 01:53 AM
lal_truckee

Default Ping Mr. Robert Lee

Phlubarb wrote:
I wound up watching the Discovery Channel's thing about a super eruption of Yellowstone.
My question is (besides do we need to kiss our collective asses goodbye) has your agency
been paying attention to any info we haven't heard or is it just the usual media hype about
something that is a long way off?

Yellowstone is a long time off.
Long Valley (Mammoth) is much sooner.
Yellowstone will take out much of the country.
Long Valley will only take out the West.

No kidding.
The town of Mammoth Lakes deliberately built an alternate escape road in
case the main exit is blocked by lava or something.

Occasionally the earthquake rate in Long Valley crescendos and property
values temporarily drop - interested (and patient) skiers can sometimes
find bargain property, and may even be able to close escrow before a
lava bomb falls on their newly acquired property.

(Up here at Truckee we only have to worry about floods and earthquakes.
Over by the lake they also have to worry about tsunamis [I am absolutely
not ****ting you - tsunamis on the lake!] From earthquake induced
landslides - the evidence is there for previous events!)
Old April 13th 05, 05:36 AM
bdubya

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:01:09 -0700, Ted Waldron
wrote:
You have to worry about the 8.0 or more that San Andreas Fault will
release, in Geological Terms, it is imminent. We just have wimpy 6.8
earthquakes 30 miles under the ground up here.

-ted

We don't even have those, although I did feel the 6/10/87 SE Illinois
quake (5.0) all the way up in Kalamazoo, which was interesting - felt
like somebody grabbed a leg on my chair and gave it a brief, gentle
lift. OTOH, I hope to be far away when New Madrid slips again;
that's a scary one (but also a great Uncle Tupelo tune).

bw
Old April 13th 05, 05:57 AM
lal_truckee

Ted Waldron wrote:
In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:

Phlubarb wrote:

I wound up watching the Discovery Channel's thing about a super eruption of
Yellowstone.
My question is (besides do we need to kiss our collective asses goodbye)
has your agency
been paying attention to any info we haven't heard or is it just the usual
media hype about
something that is a long way off?

Yellowstone is a long time off.
Long Valley (Mammoth) is much sooner.
Yellowstone will take out much of the country.

Hopefully just Wyoming and Eastern Idaho, and every Sinclair Station
along the way

Long Valley will only take out the West.

Probably just Inyo county, if can take out Vancouver, then I will be
impress. The explosion would have to be equal to Krakatoa in the
1880s, if it is going to take out the West.

I don't think you quite have the scale of the Long Valley caldera, or
the even larger Yellowstone if you mention such pips as Krakatoa. Think
Toba in Indonesia, and Taupo in New Zealand for comparisons. Think 2000
cubic kilometers of tuff produced by the last Yellowstone eruption and
600 for LV.

No kidding.
The town of Mammoth Lakes deliberately built an alternate escape road in
case the main exit is blocked by lava or something.

Probably ash, lots of rock, but not much lava. I assume the USGS has
monitors set up in the lava vents, but outside of places like the Big
Island of Hawaii, it is going to be rock, ash and a small part of molten
rock. What will kill everyone will be the noxious gasses and
mudslides, especially if Mammoth Mtn erupts compare to other calderas in
the Long Valley region.

The Long Valley IS the caldera - Mammoth Mtn is a remnent of the rim.

Occasionally the earthquake rate in Long Valley crescendos and property
values temporarily drop - interested (and patient) skiers can sometimes
find bargain property, and may even be able to close escrow before a
lava bomb falls on their newly acquired property.

I would start packing when the lava domes starts forming, or all the
snow melts away from Mammoth Mountain, and there is bulge showing, and
it isn't from eating curly fries at Hooters, like what happened to St.
Helens in 1980.

Uh, the dome is expanding - that is what's causing the swarms of little
quakes. Nothing bothers the skiers, though. They just keep on coming.

Our Nightmare up here in the Puget Sound is called Rainier, 2 million
people around it. The largest Glacial System in the Lower 48 states,
ready to become the largest purveyor of wet cement if it explodes to
Olympia, Tacoma (which should be eradicated, it would help it
aesthetically) Southern King County are right in the path of any major
mudflows. Luckily at this moment, it isn't St. Helens.

(Up here at Truckee we only have to worry about floods and earthquakes.
Over by the lake they also have to worry about tsunamis [I am absolutely
not ****ting you - tsunamis on the lake!] From earthquake induced
landslides - the evidence is there for previous events!)

You have to worry about the 8.0 or more that San Andreas Fault will
release, in Geological Terms, it is imminent. We just have wimpy 6.8
earthquakes 30 miles under the ground up here.

Ah, actually the Tahoe basin has it's own faults (San Andreas is 150+
miles west) good for a 7 plus. The really neat thing is while the
tsunami is predicted to be up to 30 feet just from a quake (much bigger
if a big slide happens (and it has - there is debris on the lake floor)
the waves don't subside - they slosh back and forth for nearly a day.
Should be a sight to behold for the survivors.
Old April 13th 05, 04:35 PM
lal_truckee

Ted Waldron wrote:
In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:

CLIP

http://lvo.wr.usgs.gov/Outlook.html

I don't see any predictions of an eruption in the Long Valley Caldera
ready to take out the west? or repeat of its colossal eruption 760k
years ago?

Nuts - it's an Chinese anti-proverb; we live in uninteresting times.
CLIP
Given that I have been one of those skiers, Mammoth's high winds are a
bigger deterrent from keeping people away, especially when they close
the top.

Right about that - Mammoth is known for the quality of its refreshing
breezes.
Old April 15th 05, 12:22 AM
ant

Phlubarb wrote:
I wound up watching the Discovery Channel's thing about a super
eruption of Yellowstone.

ah ha. we over this bit of the world, meantime, are keeping a close eye on
Krakatoa, and Toba!

ant

Old April 15th 05, 12:23 AM
ant

Ted Waldron wrote:

Our Nightmare up here in the Puget Sound is called Rainier, 2 million
people around it. The largest Glacial System in the Lower 48 states,
ready to become the largest purveyor of wet cement if it explodes to
Olympia, Tacoma (which should be eradicated, it would help it
aesthetically) Southern King County are right in the path of any major
mudflows. Luckily at this moment, it isn't St. Helens.

Just be sure not to feed it curly fries from Hooters, and you should be OK.

ant

Old April 15th 05, 12:29 AM
lal_truckee

ant wrote:
Phlubarb wrote:

I wound up watching the Discovery Channel's thing about a super
eruption of Yellowstone.

ah ha. we over this bit of the world, meantime, are keeping a close eye on
Krakatoa, and Toba!

Forget Krakatoa, add NZ Taupo. Let the worries commence.

(My wife's granmother remembered Krakatoa - lived in Indonesia at the time.)
Old April 15th 05, 01:50 AM
ant

lal_truckee wrote:
ant wrote:
Phlubarb wrote:

I wound up watching the Discovery Channel's thing about a super
eruption of Yellowstone.

ah ha. we over this bit of the world, meantime, are keeping a close
eye on Krakatoa, and Toba!

Forget Krakatoa, add NZ Taupo. Let the worries commence.

remember a few years back, the NZ ski season was completely buggered by a
volcano going off... actually it might have been Taupo, come to think of it.

(My wife's granmother remembered Krakatoa - lived in Indonesia at the
time.)

changed the weather for quite some time, they reckon. Good for snow, not so
good for growing food though.

ant

Old April 15th 05, 08:46 AM
AH

"ant" wrote in message
lal_truckee wrote:
ant wrote:
Phlubarb wrote:

I wound up watching the Discovery Channel's thing about a super
eruption of Yellowstone.

ah ha. we over this bit of the world, meantime, are keeping a close
eye on Krakatoa, and Toba!

Forget Krakatoa, add NZ Taupo. Let the worries commence.

remember a few years back, the NZ ski season was completely buggered by a
volcano going off... actually it might have been Taupo, come to think of
it.

That was near Taupo, on Mt Ruapehu.. I doubt the season on the south island
was affected however

Old April 15th 05, 10:38 AM
Harry Weiner

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:17:08 +0900, tm wrote this
crap:

(My wife's granmother remembered Krakatoa - lived in Indonesia at the time.)

New Zealand? Yellowstone? Krakatoa? Mt St Helens? Small time bull****.
Mt Fuji's threatening to erupt. Imagine how that will impact on my
commute.

Fuji's been dead for a long time.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."

Ping Astropax Lisa Horton Alpine Skiing 37 June 11th 04 10:22 PM
Ping Ping Walt Alpine Skiing 11 May 14th 04 03:37 PM
Ping: Assholepax, stalking freak and pathological liar. scottabe Alpine Skiing 10 March 22nd 04 02:51 AM
ping Astro pigo Alpine Skiing 7 February 28th 04 04:23 PM
Ping: Sam. Loveland opens! Let Mikey Ski It! Alpine Skiing 1 October 28th 03 11:31 AM