Rock skis

Old February 2nd 04, 05:54 PM

Default Rock skis

When skiing on rock skis, the following things don't bother you:
1) skiing on sanded/salted roads
2) crossing bare pavement
3) lightly snow-covered concrete sidewalks

I skied to work today, it was quite nice.

Cheers,
Brian
Old February 2nd 04, 06:41 PM
J999w

When skiing on rock skis, the following things don't bother you:
1) skiing on sanded/salted roads
2) crossing bare pavement
3) lightly snow-covered concrete sidewalks

I skied to work today, it was quite nice.

Cheers,
Brian

Last amost snowless season, a few buddies and I skied some partially covered
trails. The method was to ski a hundred meters or so, then when arriving at
bare ground, break into a full sprint, running over to the next section of
snow. It's heck on skis, but we had a blast !

John Wilke
Milwaukee
Old February 4th 04, 12:17 AM
David Dermott

Hey, don't take your rock skis for granite :-)

Actually, today my good skis met some granite. Coming down a little
hill with what looked like good snow cover, it turned out that a little
bump in the snow was a granite rock. There was a sickening sound and
a sickening feeling.
Later I returned to the rock and noticed curled plastic shavings. Ouch,
that's not very gneiss :-)

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old February 4th 04, 02:45 AM
Scott Elliot

The worst abuse of rock skis I have ever seen was when the local ski club
decided to put a float in the summer parade for our regatta. We even
managed to get "snow" for the float from an scraping from an arena that has
a summer hockey camp. Most of the junior team skied the parade on roller
skis (doing circles around the neighbouring floats), but a couple of
dedicated masters ran the whole parade in their old rock skis. I didn't ask
what wax they used, but it didn't seem to give very good glide on asphalt
although the kick was phenominal.

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

Old February 4th 04, 03:27 AM
Rapid Rick

Awesome; went to a basketball game the other night; sat quartzite. Couldn't
see schist.

--
Raider Rick
"Mine augens have seen the glory..."

Old February 4th 04, 06:07 PM
Mark

Scott,

If we want to compare rock ski stories...

I don't think many stories will beat the fact that a group of friends
and I (one year it was 43 of us) did the Bay to Breakers footrace (12
km. distance) in San Francisco on skis - 3 years in a row back in the
mid-80's. Asphalt does not glide well, but if you find a road with
LOTS of oil leakage from cars down the middle, you can actually kick
and glide. Participating in a race with 80,000+ other "competitors"
is a unique experience, especially when you are the only ones skiing
it.

AND, I'm still using a couple of pair of those skis as rock skis early
in the season. They work great.

Mark