Cool way to tell if your kick is right: Swing Step!

Old January 8th 04, 10:42 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Cool way to tell if your kick is right: Swing Step!

I think that's what it's called anyway. It's my fave classic move that
I'm always yakkin about. It's when you power a diagonal stride on thru a
corner, especially an uphill one. That move has the nicest flow and
timing when done right. Just keep the rhythm right on thru.

I find that it's a fine test of kick weighting and timing. If you're
skiing aggro and dyno and really jammin the corners and curves with nice
forward position I find that it's very easy to get TOO far forward when
doing the swing step and let the kick foot lag behind a bit and let the
kick lag a bit and, worst of all, let the kick come off the BALL rather
than the HEEL. Then you miss your kick! Coordinating the turn, the swing
of the ski tails AND the kick just right is a good verification, I
think, of how solid your kick is.

Anyone else like this move? Or find it to be a good test of kicking
skill? (In addition to ski-handling...)

--

Jeff Potter
****