fix gouge or ignore?

Old October 27th 04, 06:21 PM
David

Default fix gouge or ignore?

Thanks for all the helpful info in the recent "What angles" thread.

I was pretty happy with our angles last weekend. We decided my daughter's
board needed to be detuned, and I guess we'll deal with it with my gummi stone
(or whatever it's called) before we go again.

Got my first gouges in my base. One is maybe 1 foot long, up to 1.5 mm deep,
and with a .5mm raised lip. Should I fill it (I guess Ptex, or whatever,
depending on what my board is made of), file/scrape off the raised lip,
or ignore?

Old October 28th 04, 11:06 AM
Switters

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:21:29 GMT, "David"
allegedly wrote:

Got my first gouges in my base. One is maybe 1 foot long, up to 1.5 mm
deep, and with a .5mm raised lip. Should I fill it (I guess Ptex, or
whatever, depending on what my board is made of), file/scrape off the
raised lip, or ignore?

The only time I don't fill gouges is if they're really superficial and I
don't have the time. Otherwise, it's just part of my regular tuning,
where I fill them before putting on a new coat of wax.

If you really don't have the time, and they're not cutting to the core,
you could scrape off the raised stuff to prevent it dragging in the snow,
but it should be regarded as temporary, more so if you're looking for
speed from the board.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old October 28th 04, 01:41 PM
og

"David" wrote in message ...
Thanks for all the helpful info in the recent "What angles" thread.

I was pretty happy with our angles last weekend. We decided my daughter's
board needed to be detuned, and I guess we'll deal with it with my gummi stone
(or whatever it's called) before we go again.

Got my first gouges in my base. One is maybe 1 foot long, up to 1.5 mm deep,
and with a .5mm raised lip. Should I fill it (I guess Ptex, or whatever,
depending on what my board is made of), file/scrape off the raised lip,
or ignore?

A gummi stone isn't harsh enough to detune quickly but will work. You
could scrape it with on an old piece on concrete but a regular file is
best.

You definately need to level the base and round off the sharp edges of
the gouge. You can get away without filling in the scrape but you
will notice it in the flats and when you try and run your board flat.
If it is a sinterred base you will need to get it done with a ptex gun
as candles don;t get hot enough.
Old October 28th 04, 05:55 PM
Mike T

Thanks for all the helpful info in the recent "What angles" thread.

I was pretty happy with our angles last weekend. We decided my daughter's
board needed to be detuned, and I guess we'll deal with it with my gummi
stone
(or whatever it's called) before we go again.

Got my first gouges in my base. One is maybe 1 foot long, up to 1.5 mm
deep,
and with a .5mm raised lip. Should I fill it (I guess Ptex, or whatever,
depending on what my board is made of), file/scrape off the raised lip,
or ignore?

I will generally fill any gouge that is as deep as the one you mention.
Even more important is to remove the raised lip. I will generally leave
small gouges that run lengthwise along the base, and simply smooth the ptex
our around the gouge so that it doesn't hang up and dirt doesn't get caught
in there. If I see dirt collecting then I do fill it.