An excellent site for ski technique...

Old January 14th 06, 11:25 PM

Default An excellent site for ski technique...

Reading the thread on moguls reminded me of a site you folks might like
to know about.

I skied with Chris Robinson, who created the the show after his days as
a freestyle skier.

The technique section of the show is done by Rob Butler and there are
lots of great video clips.

URL:http://skitelevision.com/ and click on "Personal Performance
tips...

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 15th 06, 01:27 AM

In article ,
Alan Baker writes:
The technique section of the show is done by Rob Butler and there are
lots of great video clips.

I have a major issue with the clip associated with "Bump Skiin II".
See how he plants his pole in front of the bump and to the side ?
That causes his hand to be pushed high and to the back. See how his
arms are all over the place ?
At the speed he is going that's not necessarily a problem but as
soon as you go a bit faster that's a recipe for getting you on the
back of the skis.

bruno.
Old January 15th 06, 01:38 AM

In article ,
l (Miko the pooch) wrote:

In article ,
Alan Baker writes:
The technique section of the show is done by Rob Butler and there are
lots of great video clips.

I have a major issue with the clip associated with "Bump Skiin II".
See how he plants his pole in front of the bump and to the side ?
That causes his hand to be pushed high and to the back. See how his
arms are all over the place ?
At the speed he is going that's not necessarily a problem but as
soon as you go a bit faster that's a recipe for getting you on the
back of the skis.

bruno.

Ummm...

Did you not read the text:

"If you're looking for a lower impact way to ski the bumps,..." and "And
its not the only way to ski the bumps, but it is a good way to reduce
the impact and get down a mogul field like that at a moderate speed."

He's not claiming that what he is demonstrating is for good for all
speeds.

Also from the site:

"Rob is a CSIA (Canadian Ski Instructors' Alliance) Level IV instructor
and the General Manager of Snow Valley Resort near Barrie. On snow for
close to 100 days per year Rob gets his tip ideas from the many
intermediate, advanced, and expert skiers he works with each season.

Rob was a member of the Canadian Interski Team from 1981 to 1984, and is
a member of the CSIA (Ontario) Hall of Fame. A member of the CSIA since
1972, Rob has taught skiing in BC, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, and
Newfoundland."

URL:http://skitelevision.com/rob.html

For your information, CSIA Level IV is the highest level there is.

Old January 15th 06, 01:55 AM

In article ,
Alan Baker writes:
Did you not read the text:

No, I'm a visual kind of guy. But habits you learn at slower speed
usually carry over, so why not do it right the first time ?
Bump skiing starts with a quiet upper body, not flailing arms.

For your information, CSIA Level IV is the highest level there is.

Good for him. Which explains why most bump competitors make fun of
formal ski instructors trying to teach bump techniques. If that's what
they teach at level IV they are obviously out of touch with reality.

bruno.

Old January 15th 06, 02:09 AM

Miko the pooch wrote:
In article ,
Alan Baker writes:

Did you not read the text:

No, I'm a visual kind of guy. But habits you learn at slower speed
usually carry over, so why not do it right the first time ?
Bump skiing starts with a quiet upper body, not flailing arms.

For your information, CSIA Level IV is the highest level there is.

Good for him. Which explains why most bump competitors make fun of
formal ski instructors trying to teach bump techniques. If that's what
they teach at level IV they are obviously out of touch with reality.

bruno.

There are those of us who don't want to ski bumps the
way a competitive bump skier does. Many of us don't
have the knees and stamina to do it. I certainly like
watching competitive bump skiing but I'll be damned
if I'm going to punish myself that way.

What this quick little video and the text show IS a
low impact way to ski bumps. Slither through them. It
works. You can do it all day long, even with 63 year
old knees like mine.

No, neither Rob Butler nor Alan are out of touch with
reality. The reality is that skiing is becoming an old
fart's sport.

VtSkier
Old January 15th 06, 02:40 AM

In article ,
VtSkier writes:
There are those of us who don't want to ski bumps the
way a competitive bump skier does. Many of us don't
have the knees and stamina to do it.

Bumps will kill your lower back much faster than your knees.
All I'm saying is that video clip shows bad hand position.
Look at the last frame and his hand and arm is extended behind his body.
Alan can throw as many level of CSIA or PSIA he wants, that's poor form
even on the groomed runs.
Now if you guys can find me an instructor who advocates letting
your hands fall backward as a valid technique I'll buy you a beer
next time you come to Colorado...

bruno.
Old January 15th 06, 03:03 AM

In article ,
Alan Baker writes:

Actually, it's not. It is *beside* his body. His hand is no farther back
than the transverse plane of his torso.

I need to borrow your CSIA level IV glasses because to me his hand looks
behind him.
Hey Alan, I'm not criticizing you, I'm criticizing a video clip.
Why you are taking it personally is beyound me but to each his own.
Since we are obviously not going to agree we may as well drop it.
So have fun on the slopes (and don't let those hands drop behind you)

bruno.

Old January 15th 06, 03:29 AM

VtSkier wrote:

Miko the pooch wrote:

In article ,
Alan Baker writes:

Did you not read the text:

No, I'm a visual kind of guy. But habits you learn at slower speed
usually carry over, so why not do it right the first time ?
Bump skiing starts with a quiet upper body, not flailing arms.

For your information, CSIA Level IV is the highest level there is.

Good for him. Which explains why most bump competitors make fun of
formal ski instructors trying to teach bump techniques. If that's what
they teach at level IV they are obviously out of touch with reality.

bruno.

There are those of us who don't want to ski bumps the
way a competitive bump skier does. Many of us don't
have the knees and stamina to do it.

The zipper line: for the people with rubber knees and concrete heads.