Air Travel with Ski Wax etc

Old January 18th 06, 07:56 PM

Default Air Travel with Ski Wax etc

Hi all,

I have just bought some liquid glide wax by mail order. (Probably sent
by air.)

The wax has a warning label saying "flammable". Am I right in thinking
that I shouldn't take this with me on a plane? The airline advice is
not helpful. It just says no flammable liquids or solids. Then they
sell you export strength spirits, which burn well, in my experience.
They also seem happy for passengers to pack all sorts of flammable
cosmetics and such like.

I know not to take ski cleaner, and I have seen some people being given
a very hard time over having some in their ski bag. I hadn't really
thought about flammable solids until now, but I imagine ski wax would
be flammable since it is mainly paraffin.

Grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks
Alex

Old January 18th 06, 08:09 PM

Just a WAG, but I would probably not take anything that was actually
labeled flamable. Of course regular ski wax is flamable - as are
candles, liquors, cosmetics, etc. But I don't believe any of this
stuff is labeled flamable, unless I'm mistaken. I would think that if
they discovered anything labeled flamable it would be a big NO NO and
you might get spanked.

Another WAG - you won't get helpful advice from the airline - in fact I
would guess they would tell you it isn't allowed if it's labeled
flamable.

I'd either take regular ski wax and/or buy a new container of liquid at
destination. Good luck and tell us what you find out.

Old January 18th 06, 09:23 PM

"Camilo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just a WAG, but I would probably not take anything that was actually
labeled flamable. Of course regular ski wax is flamable - as are
candles, liquors, cosmetics, etc. But I don't believe any of this
stuff is labeled flamable, unless I'm mistaken. I would think that if
they discovered anything labeled flamable it would be a big NO NO and
you might get spanked.

I doubt the ski wax is even vaguely as flammable as your average can of
deodourant, hairspray and so on, and I've never seen any warnings not to
take in your luggage. And yes, they do have "flammable" labels on -
"extremely flammable" in fact.