Sessions (?) vs. Spyder jacket

Old March 4th 05, 04:14 PM

Default Sessions (?) vs. Spyder jacket

Has anyone used or have an opinion on Sessions snowboard clothes? I'm
mostly interested in their quality and how long they'll last. I'm
comparing a Sessions Goretex jacket against a Spyder Goretex jacket.
The Sessions one has a 1 year warranty on it, while the Spyder has a
lifetime warranty on it. I definitely like the looks of the Sessions
better (plus it uses the higher end Goretex XCR), but I don't mind
giving up looks and features for quality. I want a jacket at I won't
have to worry about for the next ten years, and one that definitely
won't start leaking after a year or two. I ride probably 20-25 days a
season. Any information and opinions are welcome.

For those curious, this is the Sessions jacket:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...qx/product.htm

and the Spyder jacket:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...qx/product.htm

Old March 4th 05, 06:50 PM
Jay

wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone used or have an opinion on Sessions snowboard clothes? I'm
mostly interested in their quality and how long they'll last. I'm
comparing a Sessions Goretex jacket against a Spyder Goretex jacket.
The Sessions one has a 1 year warranty on it, while the Spyder has a
lifetime warranty on it. I definitely like the looks of the Sessions
better (plus it uses the higher end Goretex XCR), but I don't mind
giving up looks and features for quality. I want a jacket at I won't
have to worry about for the next ten years, and one that definitely
won't start leaking after a year or two. I ride probably 20-25 days a
season. Any information and opinions are welcome.

For those curious, this is the Sessions jacket:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...qx/product.htm

and the Spyder jacket:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...qx/product.htm

No experience with either but I really wouldn't spend a fortune on clothing.
Almost everything I've bought lasts a maximum of a couple of years before
it's wrecked and it doesn't matter whether it's $50 or $500. Also I wouldn't
bother with XCR. I had a jacket with that once and when it was windy it was
bl**dy freezing! Had to buy a wind proof fleece to wear under it which
rather defeated the purpose.

Warranties don't mean a thing, it's the company that counts. Burton are the
only company that has actually replaced stuff for me. Others just invent
excuses.

Anyway, why do you want the same jacket for 10 years? Fashion changes,
technology changes, and your waistline will probably change :-)

Just my 2c

Jay.

Old March 4th 05, 07:44 PM

Why for 10 years?

1.I don't care about fashion, I care about function, and a quality
jacket which functions well today, will function well 5 or 10 years
from now. Anyway, I'm buying it in black, and black will always look
good.

2.Goretex today is still the same Goretex as 10 years ago. Technology
simply doesn't change that fast.

3.I can eat what I want and not gain eat, but even so I eat healthy and
excerise. Bottom line, I'm not worried one bit about gaining weight.

Old March 4th 05, 08:58 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Jay wrote:
Also I wouldn't bother with XCR. I had a jacket with that once and
when it was windy it was bl**dy freezing!

That's more a function of the material of the jacket than the XCR. I've
had 3-ply Goretex in Taslan, and Goretex on Paclite and I can tell you
the Taslan is warmer by a good bunch.

wrote:

2.Goretex today is still the same Goretex as 10 years ago. Technology
simply doesn't change that fast.

Except for the XCR part. The XCR stuff is better than the old stuff.
Frankly both of those jackets are priced so well I'd just pick whatever
appeals and then buy a new one if it breaks.

If you want bulletproof stuff at reasonable prices, try Mountain
Equipment Coop (
www.mec.ca). Note that all the prices are in Canuckian
dollars, so adjust accordingly.

Neil

Old March 4th 05, 09:30 PM
Howlee

Warranties don't mean a thing, it's the company that counts. Burton are the
only company that has actually replaced stuff for me. Others just invent
excuses.

I use north face. i tore my jacket, it was my fault, they sent me a new one.
They also replaced a zipper that broke, it was also my fault. since your
gonna buy burton and pay top dollar anyways, this brand should be in your
budget....although its not as "hip" looking on the mountain.

"Jay" wrote in message

ups.com...

Old March 5th 05, 06:19 AM
lonerider

Has anyone used or have an opinion on Sessions snowboard clothes? I'm
mostly interested in their quality and how long they'll last. I'm
comparing a Sessions Goretex jacket against a Spyder Goretex jacket.
The Sessions one has a 1 year warranty on it, while the Spyder has a
lifetime warranty on it. I definitely like the looks of the Sessions
better (plus it uses the higher end Goretex XCR), but I don't mind
giving up looks and features for quality. I want a jacket at I won't
have to worry about for the next ten years, and one that definitely
won't start leaking after a year or two. I ride probably 20-25 days a
season. Any information and opinions are welcome.

For those curious, this is the Sessions jacket:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...qx/product.htm

and the Spyder jacket:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...qx/product.htm

I've had two pairs of Session snowpants, the first pair was a cheaper
line (like $120 base) and it only lasted on season (the inner mesh came
apart at the knee and the bottom cuff). And they never got back to me
on my warranty. I switched to a pair of Bonfires (silver line) which
lasted 3 years. Then I got another pair of Sessions pants from
rei-outlet.com and they've lasted 2 season at 25 days a season and are
like new. Still waterproof and I like the design of the pockets and
built in passholder.

Both jackets look excellent, at $300-400 I bet both jackets are top of
the line.

What type of weather do you ride in? The Session jacket is a lighter
jacket with what sounds like more vents and the Goretex XCR (which is
supposedly more breathable). The Spyder jacket has a hood (which you
may or may not like for harsher weather) and a powderskirt (which is a
big boon if you are riding in a lot of snow). I don't used hoods, but I
do like powder-skirts, so I would lean towards the Spyder jacket for
that reason. They also have Small and Medium sizes instead of just
Smalls and Extra Smalls for the Sessions.