Elbow pain from poling

Old October 6th 09, 01:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Hugh P

Default Elbow pain from poling

I have had occasional elbow pain for a few years, but it seems to be
under control now. I never took expert advice, but the things that I
have done, which I think helped me, we
Remove the immediate cause. For me, that was trying to be tough about
not using more grip wax for my first few times on snow one winter. The
resulting slips caused me to catch my weight on my poles, giving me
sore elbows.
Avoid aggravating it: be aware of how long I can go before it gets
sore, and stop short of that.
Strength training: dips and press-ups, and double-poling - always
stopping short of making it sore.
Rest and ice if it does get sore (I wish I had done that at the very
start of it).
I did not deliberately make any changes to technique, and attribute
suffering less mainly to the more deliberate strength training that I
have done since the problem started. Changing technique or your gear
would probably also make sense. I used to get a very sore back after
every mass-start race, until a coach suggested a change to my double-
pole technique; that was so long ago that I don't remember what the
change was, but I am also careful to do plenty of strengthening
exercises for my back now.
Hugh
Old October 8th 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon[_3_]

I"d recommend the Excel shock-absorbing rollerski tips (available
through "NordicSkater." They helped me a lot, even though at first
the difference they makes seems subtle (it's a very strong spring).

They're designed for some special Excel pole system, but you can use
plastic tubing to make them fit on a standard pole..

Jon

Old October 8th 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Does this spring change the feeling of the pole plant itself,
spreading out the feeling of the plant from a single initial moment,
to something bouncy or double actioned?

Gene

Old October 9th 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jon[_3_]

Does this spring change the feeling of the pole plant itself,
spreading out the feeling of the plant from a single initial moment,
to something bouncy or double actioned?

Definitely takes away the initial, sharp, shock--that's the main
benefit. It's not bouncy, feels more like you're poling into a
rubberized surface. As I said, it's a subtle difference in feeling,
but definitely there.

(Another analogy is going from tightly strung synthetic tennis strings
to natural gut. Just a little bit more cushiony for your joints.)

NB: As a caveat, I realize I've just used them for classical skiing.
But the improvement is there in double poling, so I'd imagine you'd
get the same benefits in skating.
Old November 3rd 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I've been rollerskiing for over 25 years. Yeah, I don't rollerski all
that much any more. Two times so far this fall... But I used to
rollerski all summer long about four times per week with one rollerski
each week of 50 kilometers. I always used aluminum poles. The old Swix
Alulites worked great. They flexed enough and I never had elbow
problems.

Jay

double-poling technique Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 1 December 7th 06 11:39 PM
HR double-poling Derick Fay Nordic Skiing 3 September 28th 06 03:56 PM
Elbow troubles Bob L Nordic Skiing 2 September 27th 05 02:02 PM
double poling technique Tall Willy Nordic Skiing 7 March 2nd 05 08:53 PM
ski gear weight and tennis elbow Itsik Weissman Alpine Skiing 3 March 30th 04 05:04 PM