Face shots at Winter Park

Old February 27th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

Default Face shots at Winter Park

Winter Park, CO Days 6-9

My last two days at Copper were of course fun but a bit disappointing
snow wise. The forecast was for 4 to 6 inches, we were hoping for a
foot but we only got about 2 inches. Oh well, it's always great to be
outside in the mountains. I did however discover a great powder stash
in the tree skier's left of Formidable. The trees were mostly pretty
tight but they open up for several nice shots in the middle. If
that's someone's personal stash, they've been seriously neglecting
it. I only saw a couple of snowboard tracks the whole time I was in
there and the snow was easily a couple of feet deep. I verified this
when I heel released from both skis and had to post hole my way back
up the slope about ten feet to fetch the first one.

On Sunday I had the pleasure of skiing a couple of runs with our very
own Marty. It's always great to meet someone from the group if for no
other reason than to verify that they are indeed a living, breathing
person. Unfortunately we didn't have much time to ski as Wifey wanted
to stop by the Steamboat Smokehouse on our way (?) to Winter Park.
They have awesome smoked BBQ and it's where we had our wedding dinner
a few years back. This makes the fourth time I've been to Steamboat
Springs but I've only managed to log one day at Steamboat and one day
at Howelson Hill.

We rolled into WP during a pretty good storm. The report the next
morning was 10 inches fresh but talking to some locals it sounded like
about half of that fell during the ski day so I was surprised to find
an honest 8 to 10 nearly everywhere I went. Since Parsenn Bowl never
opened I was sticking to the Mary Jane bump runs and trees. The snow
was beautifully light, giving me face shots all morning. After lunch
I hit Derailer to Long Haul. They didn't have any untracked lines
left but damn they were soooooo soft. I looped those four more times
before my legs were complete jelly.

This morning the report was 6 new inches but most of those were from
the previous morning. However, Parsenn was open so I spent the day
lapping the Sunny Side trees and the Backside Parsenn, finding knee
deep most of the time.

I overheard some talk at breakfast this morning of a two foot dump
coming our way later this week. Maybe LAL's latest storm will grace
us. Jay, pack your bags.

Later,
Chris

Old March 2nd 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

On Feb 27, 4:18 pm, "bumpfreaq" wrote:

On Sunday I had the pleasure of skiing a couple of runs with our very
own Marty. It's always great to meet someone from the group if for no
other reason than to verify that they are indeed a living, breathing
person. Unfortunately we didn't have much time to ski as Wifey wanted
to stop by the Steamboat Smokehouse on our way (?) to Winter Park.

Hey Chris,

Yea, that was cool. You are the 1st RSA regular that I've met up with
for some skiing. I saw Sam at Loveland one time. I wanted to
introduce myself to him, but lost him in the crowd. At Eldora last
year, I saw Mary's brother. But, he's not a RSA guy, so I didn't
introduce myself to him. Okay, enough with the name dropping. :-)

You picked a great time to be just hangin' out in Summit County to
ski. Hope you're enjoying all the snow. We'll be at WP this
weekend. Should be great.
--
Marty

Old March 2nd 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

On Mar 2, 11:54 am, "Marty" wrote:
[...]

Yes it should. WP has been getting new snow every day this week and
it hasn't been very crowded. It's been very cold and windy so Parsenn
Bowl has been closed the last two days. Should be some great riding
when it opens.

Chris