Best advice for a first time xc'er

Old November 10th 03, 04:04 AM
sknyski

Default wronng board for touring??? Best advice for a first time xc'er

"GR" wrote in message . ..
But there is no board for touring, is there?

try: rec.skiing.granola

bt
Old November 10th 03, 02:18 PM
Serge

There is.
Google group rec.skiing back country!

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ng.backcountry
Old November 10th 03, 03:10 PM

Default Best advice for a first time xc'er

In article , Serge wrote:
If you are talking about XC touring it is a wrong board.

What?!?! There is nothing that limits rec.skiing.nordic to racing.
This is a general nordic skiing newsgroup ... anything relating to
nordic skiing is fair game, racing, training, tromping around the
backyard, etc. Yes, rec.skiing.backcountry does exist (which I assume
is bent a bit toward the trek up mountain, tele-ski back down crowd),
but that does not imply that touring information doesn't belong here.
And, yes, ski racing/training does tend to dominate the discussions
but that doesn't mean touring isn't fair game.

Touring can be done without lessons at all, just get a group of people
with the same interest and physical abilities.

But, for all the reasons that ski racing is done best with proper
technique, lessons, good gear, etc., ski touring is the same. As a
racer, I don't toss my technique out the window when I go for a tour.

As far as racing goes, you should take lessons first, learn skate,
stride etc., than go buy equipment with a help from your coach.

Yes.

Unlike many other sports ski racing has very little to share in a way
of equipment and technique with recreational variety of skiing.

No way! Good ski technique is good ski technique whether you are
racing around the ski trails, or ski touring around the mountains.
There is a lot of cross-over. Plus, so many skills (e.g., downhill
maneuvers) cross over from racing to touring.

I mean, you can get a high - end racing bike and and ride around
casually;
many people do. You can not do anything on high - end racing ski but
train
and race on prepared surface.

Again, I would beg to differ. You can do all sorts of stuff on racing
gear. Not that it's necessarily the best gear for touring, but it
certainly does not preclude the equipment being used for other things.

More over it puts strain on your back your doctor has no idea about.

Huh?!

Serge, you seem to be God's gift to the world of inline skating, but
what you've written here about nordic skiing seems way off the mark!

Brian
Old November 10th 03, 07:32 PM
Andrew Bolger

On 10/11/03 4:12 pm, "J999w" wrote:

There is nothing that limits rec.skiing.nordic to racing.
This is a general nordic skiing newsgroup ... anything relating to
nordic skiing is fair game

I for one, haven't raced in 5 years and am plenty happy skiing in my own
tracks in the local parks. Just as long as I'm sucking in cold air while
sweating bullets ... I'm content.

John Wilke
Milwaukee

Glad to hear it. I can't help thinking that there must be more of us who
like to poodle round on untracked snow on our local hills than usually put
our heads above the parapet.
I for one would like more discussion of off track kit, tips and trips on
this or another board, if anyone knows of a better hole.
Andy b

Old November 11th 03, 07:15 PM

Old November 13th 03, 12:01 AM
andrew bolger

I look at _ Rec.skiing.backcountry from time to time and checked it out the
other day. To me it seems devoted to the steep and the deep. Don't get me
wrong, I'm devoted to the steep and the deep, or I would be if a) I coud
find it and b) I was a good enough skier to handle it. In the real world I
mostly ski the shallow ( 3 or 4 inches if I'm lucky) and the steep enough (
to require some sort of turning ability. I'm reminded of the boy in the
brothel who when asked "Who do you think you are going to satisfy with that
little thing? It can't be more than 3 inches," replied with a big grin on
his face, "me".
Sorry but what we lack in snow round here we make up for in pubs.
andy b

From: . stanford.edu
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:47:14 -0600 (CST)
To: Multiple recipients of list NORDIC-SKI
Subject: Best advice for a first time xc'er

Old November 13th 03, 03:03 PM

Old November 20th 03, 12:20 AM
DJ

"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message
Serge wrote:
I mean, you can get a high - end racing bike and and ride around
casually;
many people do. You can not do anything on high - end racing ski but
train and race on prepared surface.

That's not true:

I have skied more than 10 times from north to south of Telemark county
in Norway (a 180 km backcountry, four-day trip) using my skate skis
(with grip wax on them though).

Skate skis are slightly easier to control than classics, since they have
a straight edge instead of a significantly narrower front and tail.

Terje

I agree with Terje - I've done a lot of light touring with my track/racing
skis and boots (in the US and Norway). In some conditions they're not
optimal (side slope ice, heavy trail breaking, packing), but they can work
fine for an afternoon's tour. On the other hand, a lot of people do a lot
better and have a lot more fun touring with a little broader ski and more
ankle support in the boot.

DJ