ski in Italie

Old October 18th 03, 10:26 AM
Jef Thir

Default ski in Italie

Can anybody give me information on cross country ski in Italie and the area
Val di Fiemme.Which is the best place to ski and how many kmeters ti run,and
which is the best place to rest(Cavalese,Predazo or other).I s there
generally snow in february?
Thank you

Old October 18th 03, 07:14 PM
Chequama Mama

I was in Val di Fiemme last year to spectate at the World Championships.

Places to ski: Lago di Tesero (where the championships were held) seems
very nice, though I was unable to ski there (because of the
Championships). From here you can access the trail used for the
Marcialonga. There should be a many kilometers here. I think the
facility at Lago di Tesero is maybe a little bit nicer than in Predazzo.
I skied in Passo di Lavaze for one day (after watching the races there
was very little extra time). The skiing there was very nice and if you
need to rent skis, they had very nice equipment. I am sorry, I don't
know how many kilometers.

Will there be snow? Last winter for the World Championships (Lago di
Tesero February 18-March 1st) they were skiing on almost all artificial
snow, but this is not a normal winter for them. They have very good
snowmaking capabilities as well, so they would probably have some kind
of snow. Going up to Passo di Lavaze, there was more natural snow on
the ground, As well as snowmaking.

For lodging, I would reccomend either Cavalese or Tesero (not Lago di
Tesero, but the city above it). I had to stay in Trento, because I did
not have enough money to stay up in the Valley, so I can not help you
with specific places to stay. Both of these towns are very nice,
Cavalese seemed a little bit bigger to me. They are also in the middle
between of Lago di Tesero and Passo Lavaze so you could ski both places
rather easily. (Cavalese to Tesero is about 20-30 minutes, Cavalese to
Passo Lavaze is longer, but not more than 1 hour). There is a free ski
bus running between all of these places.

There are some very helpful websites
http://www.valdifiemme2003.com -the website from the world
championships, for lodging and much other information. Many links to
other websites for the region.

Let me know if you have more questions, I may be able to answer them

Paul

Old October 20th 03, 09:25 PM
Bill

"Jef Thir" wrote in message
Can anybody give me information on cross country ski in Italie and the

area
Val di Fiemme.Which is the best place to ski and how many kmeters ti

run,and
which is the best place to rest(Cavalese,Predazo or other).I s there
generally snow in february?
Thank you

All you need to know is on the website
http://www.valfiemme.net/en/index.htm. Navigate to Winter Site, then
Cross-Country in Fiemme Valley. It's all there. The section "The Tracks" has
maps, including detailed piste maps of the main areas, Passo Lavaze and Lago
di Tesero. Stay in Cavalese (the main town with the most facilities), or any
of the other villages within a few kms; they're all connected by free ski
bus. Snow is almost certain in February, especially at Passo Lavaze (at
1900m).

Bill