The Further Adventures of Bode Miller (spoilers)

Old December 13th 04, 06:46 PM
sjjohnston

Default The Further Adventures of Bode Miller (spoilers)

For those who haven't been following the World Cup: Bode Miller just won the
SL at Sestriere today (by over a second), and won the GS at Val d'Isere
yesterday.

After 10 races, he has been
1st - 6 times (DH DH SG GS GS SL)
2nd - 1 time (SG)
4th - 1 time (DH)
Crashed - 2 times (GS SL)

A few other notes:

- He's won all 4 disciplines in a period of 16 days, which has never been
done on the World Cup in the 22 seasons in which there've been four
disciplines. Only one male and one female have ever won races in all four
disciplines in a season.
- With 730 points, he's well over half way to the point total that won the
overall World Cup last year, with 27 races left.
- He has double the points of Hermann Maier, who's in second.
- In every race he's finished, he's either beaten or matched his best result
before this season.

Old December 14th 04, 04:30 AM
Florian Ederer

And the reason for his new winning streak?
His new Austrian skis of course. Maier, Eberharter or Miller - maybe it's
just those Atomics that do the trick.

http://www.mit.edu/~ederer

Old December 14th 04, 11:40 AM
Mary Malmros

Florian Ederer wrote:

And the reason for his new winning streak?
His new Austrian skis of course. Maier, Eberharter or Miller - maybe it's
just those Atomics that do the trick.

The skis are helping, for sure. But if the skis are "the reason", as
you say, Hermann ought to be winning -- after all, he got a better pick
than Bode did.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old December 14th 04, 02:28 PM
Marty

"sjjohnston" wrote in message
[...]

From http://www.skiracing.com/profiles/ne...file.php/2024/

"For the moment, I'm just happy to have achieved something which was
important to me since I started to race all specialties. I knew I could do
it and I'm happy to prove that I was right."

Love the confidence this guy has.
--
Marty

Old December 14th 04, 04:40 PM
Florian Ederer

The skis are helping, for sure. But if the skis are "the reason", as you
say, Hermann ought to be winning -- after all, he got a better pick than
Bode did.

We Austrians claim that Bode got Eberharter's DH skis and therefore has the
edge (don't think that's true though). But as you say, that doesn't explain
why he's on top in SL and GS as well. Still, I'm not sure that Bode would
have done as well on his Rossignols ...

Florian Ederer
http://www.mit.edu/~ederer

Old December 14th 04, 08:08 PM
Mary Malmros

Florian Ederer wrote:
The skis are helping, for sure. But if the skis are "the reason", as you
say, Hermann ought to be winning -- after all, he got a better pick than
Bode did.

We Austrians claim that Bode got Eberharter's DH skis

He got the ones Eberharter didn't use. Actually, he and Daron Rahlves
are sharing the ones that Eberharter didn't use.

and therefore has the
edge (don't think that's true though). But as you say, that doesn't explain
why he's on top in SL and GS as well. Still, I'm not sure that Bode would
have done as well on his Rossignols ...

I'm reasonably sure that he couldn't have. Did you see the way he was
breaking those things last year? That won't be happening on Atomics, is
my prediction.

Old December 14th 04, 10:55 PM
JvD

"Florian Ederer" wrote
And the reason for his new winning streak?
His new Austrian skis of course. Maier, Eberharter or Miller - maybe it's
just those Atomics that do the trick.

Silly. It's the new flat-boarding technique, of course.

Old December 14th 04, 11:46 PM
sjjohnston

"Florian Ederer" wrote in message
And the reason for his new winning streak?

His new Austrian skis of course. Maier, Eberharter or Miller - maybe it's
just those Atomics that do the trick.

Actually ... it may be the boots.

Lange has been the dominant boot on the WC for decades (though Bode was on
Nordicas). No more. Every one of the top 7 male racers is skiing on Atomic
boots (you need to watch the races on TV or check photos to confirm this, as
some of them still list Lange as their boot sponsor). Maier has switched
back and forth, but I believe he was wearing the Atomics in the Val d'Isere
GS, after wearing Langes in the previous day's DH.

Old December 16th 04, 04:26 AM
TCS

I was listening to a radio interview with the head U.S. representative of the
Atomic race support team. His take on who gets the best skis:

a. The top ten racers get the best skis.

b. Those skis are identical when they leave the factory. From then on it's up
to the ski techician who tunes them. Bode had one of the best.

He was asked how the GP would respond to these skis. Answer: they would
conclude that these guys are really strong. The skis are much stiffer than rec
skis.

He was asked how long a particular pair of skis last. DH - up to 4 years!
Slalom - two weeks! The difference: hitting gates.

Cheers, TCS

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado is now open for skiing