Equipment for Elk Mountain Traverse

Old February 13th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Paul

Default Equipment for Elk Mountain Traverse

I am wondering if anyone has done the Elk Mountain traverse and if so
what kind of equipment was most commonly used?

The Elk Mt traverse is a 40 mile backcountry race. I believe most people
opt to do the race on quite light weight gear (occasionally skating
skis!!). Some of the terrain is better suited to heavier tele gear but I
think most people find the weight savings to be more important than the
control offered by heavier gear.

I would be interested in anyone who skis backcountry snow on light
touring gear and what their experiences have been. I am not very up on
current nordic gear and would appreciate any tips on possible ski/boot
combos which might work for me. Thanks

Paul
Old February 13th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
xcwhite

On Feb 12, 11:12 pm, Paul wrote:
I am wondering if anyone has done the Elk Mountain traverse and if so
what kind of equipment was most commonly used?

The Elk Mt traverse is a 40 mile backcountry race. I believe most people
opt to do the race on quite light weight gear (occasionally skating
skis!!). Some of the terrain is better suited to heavier tele gear but I
think most people find the weight savings to be more important than the
control offered by heavier gear.

I would be interested in anyone who skis backcountry snow on light
touring gear and what their experiences have been. I am not very up on
current nordic gear and would appreciate any tips on possible ski/boot
combos which might work for me. Thanks

Paul

The top placing teams are on racing classic skis or at least light
weight edgeless classic skis. I have done the face several times and
I used 190cm fischer super lite waxable classic skis, and atomic
recreational racing classic skis. I use old salomon profil skate
boots for better ankle support. We carry full length glue on skins
that have been cut narrow enough to fit the skis. I believe the race
has also been won on skate skis with skins, but the snow was spring
like crust conditions.

Participants use a wide range of equipment. I have seen people on AT
gear, heavy metal tele gear and back country edged touring gear. You
have to decide what your focus is for the race. If you want to go
fast and are a decent skier, you need la ight weight edgeless skis and
the rest of gear needs to be speed oriented. Do not bring the kitchen
sink. If your goal is to tour the race and enjoy the downhills, you
will want something a little more heavy duty with edges and the rest
of gear list can include comfort items.

The promoters claim that this is a back-country ski race and not a
cross-country ski race. I disagree because the top ten or so teams
all compete on light weight racing oriented equipment. I would call
it more of an extreme cross-country ski race. No grooming but the
route is set somewhat by snowmobiles and other skiers.

Any other questions about gear or equipment for the race feel free to
reply or contact me. I have placed well in this race and a several
time winner of the race lives several doors up the street from me.