Still on snow

Old April 20th 06, 01:30 AM

Generally there is snow through most of May, but they stop grooming because
there are not enough skiers.

Okanagan Lake is usually open all winter. It could be a bit cold for
paddling though. My next door neighbour is retired and often spends his
mornings cross country skiing and then takes his boat for a sail in the
afternoon.

Back in 1975 my wife and I quit our jobs in Toronto and moved to Kelowna.
Work is available if you look for it.

Scott

"cpella" wrote in message
ps.com...
Yeah, if there was any employment for my wife and I we would consider
moving to Vernon. The season starts mid-November, and obviously
extends to late April at least. It would be nice to have my ski and
paddling seasons overlap, which is a bit tricky in Ottawa.

Old April 20th 06, 04:45 AM

Here's a photo from Italy last Friday at Val Fiscalina / Fischleintal:
http://roberts-1.com/t/s06/it/k/index.htm#xcski
Plenty of snow, well-groomed. The track is pretty short -- though in a
rather pretty place in the Dolomites of northeast Italy, with other tracks
in close driving distance.

Lots of places in the northern hemisphere have lots of snow this year. Like
other people say, the question is grooming. I will add that usually that
lack of grooming is a result of lack of enough cross-country skiers who want
to keep on skiing in April and May. The problem lies in ourselves.

Looked to me like most of the skating tracks at Fischleintal were made by
backcountry skiers on heavy boots and heavy skis, using the groomed track as
a convenient way to access much steeper and more dangerous backcountry
skiing terrain, like in other photos on or linked from that page --
inappropriate for this newsgroup.

Ken

Old April 21st 06, 08:21 PM

"cpella" wrote in message
ps.com...
Yeah, if there was any employment for my wife and I we would consider
moving to Vernon. The season starts mid-November, and obviously
extends to late April at least. It would be nice to have my ski and
paddling seasons overlap, which is a bit tricky in Ottawa.

Go east! Skiing was great on Easter week-end at Foret Montmorency and they
may groom the trails for the coming week-end. See
http://www.geocities.com/skiernouvel...deal18avr.html

BarryT