Classic rollerskis: front or rear ratchet?

Old March 30th 04, 03:03 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Classic rollerskis: front or rear ratchet?

I see that Torbjorn says rear wheel ratchets are best for classic
rollerskis, as per his ProSkis.

I'm also very interested in the affordable Jeseniks---with front wheel
ratchets.

Man, these two brands of skis seem quite different---or are they? I have
ZERO experience with this stuff. Anyone else have any generally helpful
familiarity?

ProSki: 790mm, 67x50mm, pricey ski (I can get a well used set cheap tho
to start me off), pricey spares
Jesenik: 700mm, 70x35mm, cheap ski, cheap spares

I'm 6 foot and 180 lbs---I wonder if the longer ski will be clearly
superior for me, and maybe a wider wheel much easier to relax on. ??

--

Jeff Potter
****

... with radically relevant novels from the ULA &
LiteraryRevolution.com! ...
... free music! ... tons o' articles! ... travel forums! ... WOW!
800-763-6923

Old March 30th 04, 03:34 PM
jim farrell

Jeff Potter wrote:
I see that Torbjorn says rear wheel ratchets are best for classic
rollerskis, as per his ProSkis.

move your rachet wheel to the front to decrease wear of this more
expensive wheel. Also, there is some minor benefit in reducing a little
the huge kick you get from racheted roller skis. we have also tried
loosening the nut on the rachet wheel to further reduce the kick and
practice a precise kick. With a nylock nut, you can do these drills for
quite a while with no failure. However, don't forget to tighten your
nut again before a good training session.

I have thought of getting a longer axel bolt and two lock nuts which
would allow one to train savely with a loose rachet. Haven't done t yet
.. . .

Jim

Old March 31st 04, 02:29 AM
Gary Jacobson

Yea, a fun work out for me is skiing up a steep hill when the road is wet.
The front wheel slips and it really feels like a waxed ski, especially when
there are leaves on the ground.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

"jim farrell" wrote in message
Jeff Potter wrote:
I see that Torbjorn says rear wheel ratchets are best for classic
rollerskis, as per his ProSkis.

move your rachet wheel to the front to decrease wear of this more
expensive wheel. Also, there is some minor benefit in reducing a little
the huge kick you get from racheted roller skis. we have also tried
loosening the nut on the rachet wheel to further reduce the kick and
practice a precise kick. With a nylock nut, you can do these drills for
quite a while with no failure. However, don't forget to tighten your
nut again before a good training session.

I have thought of getting a longer axel bolt and two lock nuts which
would allow one to train savely with a loose rachet. Haven't done t yet
. . .

Jim

Old March 31st 04, 10:34 PM
Bruce Fiedler

I recommend a roller ski with a front ratched wheel. I haved used
MARWE with a front ratchet, for quite a few years, I used to have a
pair of V2, with a rear ratchet and was developing a late kick. The
local ski Guru (Ahvo T) convinced me at that time to switch the whell
to the front, and as a result my late kick disappearred (sp?)

Bruce Fiedler
Old April 1st 04, 06:10 AM
Jacob Scheckman

I have a pair of Proski C2s and I love them - on my coaches orders I
switched the ratched wheels to the front (about a 5 min job max) and
they work fine. The kick feel and possibility of a slip or two is far
superior with the ratchets on the front. The next thing on the list
is slower wheels...we'll see how that one works out this summer.

Old April 1st 04, 01:47 PM
Jeff Potter

Maybe try Serge's trick of using the different, cheapy bearings and taking off covers and packing with heavy grease to
slow up the wheels. Anyone know how much slower that makes a wheel?

Old April 3rd 04, 01:52 AM
Gary Jacobson

Can't doo that on Jenex 900 series or 8000 series wheels.
Also with those models Jenex the wheels get faster as they lose grease or
lubricant through the seals.

Cold weather slows the bearings down, but usually speeds the tire/asphalt
interface up - less friction than on hot pavement..

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

.. .

Old April 3rd 04, 06:46 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

Can't do what? swap ratchet wheels to front? or replace with slow
wheels? assuming you mean swap w/ratchets to front, why not? I
haven't tried it, but I just grabbed one of my old 920s and can't
see any obvious reason why it shouldn't work. Not going to try just
now, though. Just had wrist surgery today. Typing w/one hand for a
while. :-(

-Mitch

Old April 3rd 04, 09:47 PM
Gary Jacobson

No problem swapping wheels on those roller skis. I have my locking wheel in
front. I think that's how Jenex sells them now.
I was talking about loading up the sealed bearings with grease when I wrote
"can't do that".

Was wrist surgery ski related?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

.cornell.edu...

Old April 9th 04, 02:27 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

Sort of ski related. In 1996 I was walking down the hill to the
train station in Lillehammer carrying a heavy bag of skis and gear,
and wearing a heavy backpack filled with clothes and more gear.
Then I slipped on the ice and fell on the ski bag. Unfortunately
my hand ended up smashed between by butt and the ski bag. Talked
myself into believing it wasn't broken because "if it was, surely
it would hurt more than this."

Took the train to Mora and next day skied the Vassaloppet Oppet Spar.
The more I skied the better it felt and then I was sure there was
no permanent damage. :-)

Fast forward to 2002 and I'm finally fed up with it bothering me
when I discover I can't get down and crawl around on the floor with
my then 1-year-old twins without major pain. Visit orthopedist and
x-ray shows a broken bone (scaphoid) in my wrist. Had it operated
on that fall but all last year it never healed like they hoped it
would. Just had operation #2 where they tried something different.
Supposedly this will stop the pain but leave me with less range of
motion in the wrist. Have to wear a cast for 12 weeks, tomorrow
being the end of week #1. :-(

-Mitch

Jacob Scheckman wrote:

I have a pair of Proski C2s and I love them - on my coaches orders I
switched the ratched wheels to the front (about a 5 min job max) and
they work fine. The kick feel and possibility of a slip or two is

far
superior with the ratchets on the front. The next thing on the list
is slower wheels...we'll see how that one works out this summer.

--

Jeff Potter
****
*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com
publisher of do-it-yourself culture ... bikes, skis, boats & more!

..