Using a Heat Gun for waxing

Old January 26th 05, 01:37 AM
cepa

Default Using a Heat Gun for waxing

I just returned from a two and half week trip to switzerland. The ski
was great, and at the same time I found myself waxing my skis with a
heat gun!!. My brother in law has been using this system for the last
ten year and has not damaged the skis. He rubs the base with the
gliding wax and applies heat using the heat gun. I estimate that the
gun heats to 375oC. The overall result was good and we saved lots of
wax. Has any one experienced with this system? What do you think?

Old January 26th 05, 03:12 AM
Edgar

A heat gun designed to strip paint could do a lot of damge if you are
not very careful. That said, I use to use a heat gun to remove
klister. As soon as the klister liquified I stopped applying heat.
After buying Toko's cleaning gel I stopped using the heat gun.

A hair dryer is probably a lot safer. I have used a hair dryer combined
with corking to renew glide wax while travelling. You still need an
iron for hot wax cleaning.

Edgar

Old February 1st 05, 12:48 AM
Craig Storey

cepa wrote:
I just returned from a two and half week trip to switzerland. The ski
was great, and at the same time I found myself waxing my skis with a
heat gun!!. My brother in law has been using this system for the last
ten year and has not damaged the skis. He rubs the base with the
gliding wax and applies heat using the heat gun. I estimate that the
gun heats to 375oC. The overall result was good and we saved lots of
wax. Has any one experienced with this system? What do you think?

Marty Hall mused about this very thing in SkiTrax a year or two ago, and
lots of coaches wrote in to correctly state that it's dangerous. I've
measured the temperature of the air blown out through heat guns, and it
can be as warm as 750C! Careful.

Old February 5th 05, 04:22 PM
Leland Yee

On 25 Jan 2005 20:12:32 -0800, Edgar wrote:

A heat gun designed to strip paint could do a lot of damge if you are
not very careful. That said, I use to use a heat gun to remove
klister. As soon as the klister liquified I stopped applying heat.
After buying Toko's cleaning gel I stopped using the heat gun.

A hair dryer is probably a lot safer. I have used a hair dryer combined
with corking to renew glide wax while travelling. You still need an
iron for hot wax cleaning.

Edgar

On the other hand, there was an article by Lee Borowski in Silent Sports
advocating the (careful) use of a heat gun. Can't remember the issue, but
I clipped the article if anyone would like a copy.

Leland

Old February 6th 05, 01:14 AM
Leland Yee

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:22:15 GMT, Leland Yee
wrote:

On the other hand, there was an article by Lee Borowski in Silent Sports
advocating the (careful) use of a heat gun. Can't remember the issue,
but I clipped the article if anyone would like a copy.

Leland

Just found the article by Borowski on the web:
http://www.silentsports.net/features...ng_made_s.html

Leland
Old February 12th 05, 08:06 PM
Nathan Schultz

It is a common practice to use a heat gun to apply and remove kick wax -
both hard wax and klister. It is used more often for klister. I have never
seen anyone use one for glide wax.

As with any heat source, be careful not to burn your base.

-Nathan
www.nsavage.com
news