Where is the cheapest place to live and within a hour drive to great skiing?

Old February 12th 05, 06:13 PM
Harry Weiner

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:28:32 -0500, Dick Gozinya
wrote this crap:

What about in Abraham's area? No one would want to live
there, so buying/renting or squatting must be cheap?

And you could even eat at the same soup kitchen.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old February 12th 05, 06:31 PM
Dick Gozinya

wrote this crap:

What about in Abraham's area? No one would want to live
there, so buying/renting or squatting must be cheap?

And you could even eat at the same soup kitchen.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."

I guess the property values are miniscule, much like Scroats
manhood and values....

"I am Homer of Borg. You will be assim...ooooohhh, donut"!
Old February 12th 05, 09:16 PM
Sunshine McGillicutty

I could have sworn Mono and Inyo counties were in California???

DMT

Wayne Decker wrote:
The Forest Service, Park Service, BLM, LADWP, the County Governments (Inyo
and Mono), the schools and the tribes--are our biggest employers. Then comes
the tourist related businesses and the ranches.

Most of our kids leave the valley--but come back after about 10 years--once
they have established themself and can find a way to support themselves
here.

BTW it only takes me 35 minutes to get to Mammoth and about 45 to get to
June.

Old February 13th 05, 02:27 AM
Sunshine McGillicutty

Actually they border Nevada, so they're about 1 second away. But the
statement was that Nevada was an hour from Mammoth. In winter? No
freaking way.

Good day!

DMT

Sven Golly wrote:

Sunshine McGillicutty wrote in
:

I could have sworn Mono and Inyo counties were in California???

Yeah and they're both within an hours drive of Nevada (assuming good
roads).

Old February 21st 05, 04:08 AM
Walt Haas

Actually Nelson BC which is south-central is a funky little
town in the transition from the log-mine-ranch economy to an
artist and tourism economy. You might find it a lot of fun.

I currently live in Salt Lake but if I were to leave,
Nelson is one of the places I'd consider. I had some of the
greatest powder skiing of my life there at Whitewater.

-- Walt

--
Edit haas at http://www.xmission.com/~haas
header xmission

Old February 21st 05, 01:52 PM
Tommy T.

"Walt Haas" wrote in message
news
Actually Nelson BC which is south-central is a funky little
town in the transition from the log-mine-ranch economy to an
artist and tourism economy. You might find it a lot of fun.

I owe that part of BC a look before we make a final decision on a winter
place. I was using my return from the Yukon River as a scouting trip, but
huge forest fires forced to the east side of Glacier and I didn't see south
central or south east. We visited Kamloops for an orienteering meet in the
early 90's but information form that trip is, admittedly, going to be
out-of-date by now. Canada will let me live there for up to six months per
year, but I can't immigrate because I am neither a worker nor an investor.
Some of our family would be upset if we emigrated anyway, so realistically a
Canadian house would just be a place to ski for four months out the year and
that doesn't quite fit our plans. I've a year-round, vacation house on a
small lake near the Big Thicket Swamp in Deep East Texas and my primary
residence is in the Boston area. Plans are to sell in Boston and buy a
principal residence in the western mountains, with a handful of cash left
over to help live on. We'd use Texas a couple of months at a time in the
Spring and Fall and use the mountain place for skiing in the Winter and
hiking and biking in the Summer.

This thread has probably been more useful to me than to Randolf, the
original poster. Thanks to everybody for the thoughts.

Tommy T.

Old March 2nd 05, 03:18 AM
Chriggity

I would have to say some of the major towns surrounding the big Montana
locations are pretty cheap.

SLC is gettin pricy nowadays...

Old March 9th 05, 06:26 PM
Dan

"pigo" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Guys,

Where is the cheapest place to live and within a hour drive to
great
skiing?

I'd have to say the Wasatch Front (Salt Lake City area).

Where else is there? Taos and someplace in the east? Everywhere else
has mediocre skiing at best due to the toys they allow now.

But even if you're at a level that you can't tell the difference I
think it's still Salt Lake.

pigo

Gardnerville, NV...

Dan