Mammoth Lakes files for bankruptcy

Old July 3rd 12, 02:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

Default Mammoth Lakes files for bankruptcy

I guess we knew it was coming.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/... +bankruptcy/
Old July 6th 12, 07:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jul 2, 7:54*pm, Dave Stallard wrote:
I guess we knew it was coming.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...+famous+califo...

And it is getting worse -

http://www.sierrawave.net/12932/critics-and-supporters/

(Be sure to read the comments also)

The now-bankrupt Town is attempting to convert local utility surcharge
tax money from its intended purpose to support the air service, such
as it is.

Living in SoCal, I never saw the benefit of air service to Mammoth.
It is too expensive compared to driving and the scheduling costs 2
days that cold have been spent skiing.
Old July 18th 12, 03:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jul 6, 12:44*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
On Jul 2, 7:54*pm, Dave Stallard wrote:

I guess we knew it was coming.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...+famous+califo...

And it is getting worse -

http://www.sierrawave.net/12932/critics-and-supporters/

(Be sure to read the comments also)

The now-bankrupt Town is attempting to convert local utility surcharge
tax money from its intended purpose to support the air service, such
as it is.

Living in SoCal, I never saw the benefit of air service to Mammoth.
It is too expensive compared to driving and the scheduling costs 2
days that cold have been spent skiing.

Even though the Town of Mammoth Lakes has petitioned for bankruptcy,
they are still "borrowing" from a utility-tax fund to support air
service through the fall until MMSA picks up the subsidy in the winter
months. The tax had been passed by local ballot measure to fund local
transportation and arts projects. Some residents are complaining that
using the money for the airport is outside the uses stated in the
ballot language.

One writer to the local news websites said that MMSA used to cover the
air service subsidy year round, but dropping the fall payment was part
of the retrenchment demanded by their creditor banks.

Old July 22nd 12, 06:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

A resident of Mammoth Lakes has gathered up a lot of history of the
actions that led to the court case and bankruptcy. According to this
letter, at the heart of it is MMSA's CEO Rusty Gregory's desire for an
airport capable of handling "big planes".

http://mammothtimes.com/content/judgement-gregory

Old July 22nd 12, 06:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 11:20:37 PM UTC-7, Richard Henry wrote:
A resident of Mammoth Lakes has gathered up a lot of history of the
actions that led to the court case and bankruptcy. According to this
letter, at the heart of it is MMSA's CEO Rusty Gregory's desire for an
airport capable of handling "big planes".

http://mammothtimes.com/content/judgement-gregory

Hey, I keep gathering up a history of stalking, lying, disgusting freaks who commit crimes and lie to the cops over a stupid newsgroup. I want to have the opinion of the SPD officers you and your buddies lied to. Contact info?
Old July 23rd 12, 04:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On 2012-07-22 06:20:37 +0000, Richard Henry said:

A resident of Mammoth Lakes has gathered up a lot of history of the
actions that led to the court case and bankruptcy. *According to this
letter, at the heart of it is MMSA's CEO Rusty Gregory's desire for an
airport capable of handling "big planes".

http://mammothtimes.com/content/judgement-gregory

* I am far from being an apologist for Rusty Gregory and MMSA, but the
contract between the City of Mammoth Lakes and MLLA was a contract that
should had never been signed by City of Mammoth Lakes, without the
heavy hand of Mr. Gregory, (obvious heavy hand of MMSA) Whomever signed
it, he/she/they didn't practice any due diligence, or understood why
they signed that made the City of Mammoth Lakes liable without
municipal insurance to cover such an imbroglio. * Allowing MLLA to go
ahead with the improvements and then cancelling the contract was just
the first step in City of Mammoth Lakes's bankruptcy.

* * If the City of Mammoth Lakes and Mono County need to learn is that
the main employer (MMSA, my guess the biggest employer in Mono County)
in their county, and important for secondary economic development like
residential and mixed use construction, it is part of a very risky
business, with an even riskier business model. *It is like having
Countrywide home loans *as the main employer in Mono County.

* Rusty Gregory is looking out for MMSA's creditors, and if that means
firing town managers, so be it. *The City of Mammoth Lakes former
elected officials blew it, and made a horrible situation into a
financial nightmare, by violating a legal contract that is so obvious
the verdict has held up in appeals.

As much as Rusty Gregory has acted like a monster, I don't remember
many people complaining when Mammoth Lakes was on a building boom, and
trying to make Mammoth Mountain looked like Whistler Village, even
though as much it brought employment and money, the money was heavily
borrowed, and now they reaping the whirlwind of all that debt.

I was complaining, but I admit it was more like muttering. I liked
the old mom-and-pop feel the small hotels and restaurants had when I
first went there.
Old July 23rd 12, 03:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 7/22/12 8:50 PM, comadrejo wrote:
I don't remember many people complaining when Mammoth Lakes was on a
building boom, and trying to make Mammoth Mountain looked like Whistler
Village

Many did. This mess wasn't a surprise, it was inevitable. There's even
books on the soul-less destruction of skiing by MBAs with the help of
greedy towns-folk.

_Downhill Slide_ by Hal Clifford

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Downhill-Slide-Corporate-Industry-Environment/dp/1578050715
Old July 23rd 12, 04:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

lal_truckee wrote:
On 7/22/12 8:50 PM, comadrejo wrote:
I don't remember many people complaining when Mammoth Lakes was on a
building boom, and trying to make Mammoth Mountain looked like Whistler
Village

Many did. This mess wasn't a surprise, it was inevitable. There's even
books on the soul-less destruction of skiing by MBAs with the help of
greedy towns-folk.

_Downhill Slide_ by Hal Clifford

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Downhill-Slide-Corporate-Industry-Environment/dp/1578050715

Every ones focus is on now.

I just wonder about solar energy recovery and will it effect the
environment?

Old July 23rd 12, 07:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 23:20:37 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

A resident of Mammoth Lakes has gathered up a lot of history of the
actions that led to the court case and bankruptcy. According to this
letter, at the heart of it is MMSA's CEO Rusty Gregory's desire for an
airport capable of handling "big planes".

I told you I landed a 737 there. The canyon's walls shield you from
the crosswinds. If I can do it, anybody can do it. And I'm not even
a pilot.

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.
Old July 23rd 12, 08:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Monday, July 23, 2012 1:15:53 PM UTC-6, (unknown) wrote:

Vote for Romney. Repeal the nightmares.

What do you suppose the Aurora Co. police department's liability would be had they been warned about this guy and done nothing?