Good Indo on Decks, Boots, and Bindings??

Old January 1st 04, 02:54 AM
Barry Dinglehopper

Default Good Indo on Decks, Boots, and Bindings??

Im looking into buying a snowboard in the next few days. Ive been riding on and
off for a few years now and I would say I'm pretty decent. I want to get more
into park riding, but I would still like a board that can perfrom well on
downhill, in powder, etc... Right now im looking at burton's because i've
always known them to be some of the better boards. Anyone have any other ideas?
Im definitely getting strap-in bindings as clickins are a joke for freestyle
riding. Right now as far as
bindings go, im leaning toward the Burton "mission"'s. As for a deck and
boots, i'm not quite sure. What variables should I look for in a deck,
bindings, and boots? I've heard some talk about "flex", and I understand that
how much a board flexes has a bunch to do with its freestyle capabilities. All
in all, I am an intermediate rider looking to gain knowledge on riding before i
simmer down and buy a board soon. Do you guys know of any good deals on good
products lately?

I appreciate your help,

tal

---------------------
This post is for entertainment purposes only.
Old January 1st 04, 04:13 AM
robbie

On 01 Jan 2004 02:54:37 GMT, unists (Barry
Dinglehopper) wrote:

[...]

I like technine pro model bindings, reasonable price, lifetime
warranty, comfortable, responsive and great customer service. Burton
is overpriced IMO. I get T9 pros for $120-125.

Boots - get a pair that fit your foot the best. Don't say I want a
particular brand, it may be really terrible and uncomfortable on the
slopes.

Boards, there are a ton of boards out there. Ride, Salomon,
Rossignol, Donek, Never Summer. All make good boards. Burton is the
biggest name, not necessarily the best. Go to the manufacturer sites
and do some research. An All-mountain board would do fine, something
versatile as you want to ride everywhere.

E-bay has great deals on prior years and current year boards. I buy
all my boards off e-bay and either keep them or sell them to friends.

Good luck,

Robbie

Old January 1st 04, 08:44 AM
Arvin Chang

unists (Barry Dinglehopper) wrote in message ...
[...]

Boots:
I recommend choosing boots first as if you're feet hurt, are too cold,
pinch, blister, etc... you aren't going to have fun. Find a boot that
fits you foot perfectly. Salomon boots are good for people with
narrower feet and have a great quick-cinch lace system. Vans boots
have the nice BOA cable system. Northwave boots are also good. I'm
currently trying out DCShoes boots which have an inflatabled liner...
they were super nice on rails and seemed ok in the pipe... but I want
a few more days before I make an opinion.

Bindings:
Good brands are Burton, Ride, Drake, Salomon and Flow. I rode the
Burton Missions 01-02 and they were a very nice bindings... except
they didn't fit my boots well... you actually might consider buying
the same brand bindings as your boots as they tend to fit better
together. I threw in Flow bindigns as they have the convenience of
step-ins, but work with regular boots. Personally I haven't tried them
myself as I'm leary of theri design... but a LOT of ppl like them a
lot... so I'm probably being superstitious. BTW... step in bindings
are not categorically bad for freestyle persay... but since there is a
limited boot selection... you might have better chances with straps.

Boards:
Sounds like you want a basic freeride/freestyle board for "power
freeriding" or "all-mountain freestyle." Think of it like on-road
performance SUVs for the "urban jungle."

Unless you are a total jibber, you probably want a medium/high
stiffness board (gives you much more stability at high speeds). You
want a shorter sidecut and a narrow waist to make you edge to edge
transitions quick so you can line up for a jump quickly. Don't go too
short on the edge because that will also affect stability at high
speeds. You will want a bit flex between the bindings for ollies.
However, in general flex pattern is a matter of preference, some
people like a stiff nose (front) section so they get good nollies and
feel for the snow... others like a softer nose the dampens out the
crud you blast through.

I've ridden the Salomon 450 (now called the Forecast) and liked it.
The Salomon Definition (550) might be a little too much for your
experience level right now although it is on sale at a lot of places
for 50% off. I've also ridden the Ride Timeless and it is a nice
board. I haven't actually ridden a Custom myself as I'm not a fan of
the boards, but a good friend of mine has one and he likes it and I
trust that it is a decent board (maybe overpriced). I remind you that
I might be a little anti-Burton and somewhat pro-Salomon at this time.
That might be due to the fact that I've had issues with Burton sales
reps before. This season I'm going to try out the Donek Incline and
see how it is (although it is more of a freeride board). Oh, I also
have a Neversummer Evo, which is a great park board... but really
crappy out of the park (Neversummer says it is for park/pipe *only*) -
so much so that I wouldn't recommend it unless you have two boards.
Old January 2nd 04, 12:23 AM
Rob.

[...]

As the others have said, choose your boots first and spend whatever it takes
to get a pair that fit. If you have any cash left over you can buy bindings
and a board :-)

FWIW, I used to use Salomon Dialogues but I was getting really cold feet (I
think due to pressure points from the lining on the top of my foot) so I've
just switched to 32s. They've got a single piece mouldable liner and seem
much kinder to my feet. Not quite such a good hold as the dialogues but not
bad and at least I can last a whole day.

For bindings and board, from what you say it sounds like you want mission
bindings and a custom board. The custom is pretty good in powder, ok-ish on
downhill, good for jumps, acceptable for the pipe. For bindings, it really
seems to be a matter of taste. I've had so much contradictory advice, I've
given up asking but the missions are middle-of-the-road so should be ok.
Don't expect to get good deals on either of these though, Burton is a brand
you pay extra for.

Actually your best bet is to find a dealer you can trust and discuss it with
them. There's no sense in trying to save a few $ and ending up with the
wrong kit.

The other option is to go for a freestyle-only setup and then get something
else for downhill. All the park rats at my local resort have really flexy
boards and all the racers have hard boots and directional boards

Rob.

Old January 2nd 04, 04:25 PM
Ace

I don't know what your shoe size is, but if it's 10 or higher I would
reccomend the Ride Mountain board. It's wide and stiff, so it does
well in the powder and is stable at high speeds. I wouldn't take it
to the pipe because of its stiffness, but that's about the only place
it doesn't go. It's been a great board for me. I'm not sure about
rachet bindings and soft boots.

[...]

salomon bindings / burton boards Joe Snowboarding 6 December 18th 03 10:48 PM
Salomon Substance 146, Burton Breed Boots, LTD Bindings Kathy Snowboarding 0 November 22nd 03 04:21 AM
Boots pinch front of ankle... Tall Rider Brett Snowboarding 11 October 7th 03 02:02 AM
Salomon boots Biff Snowboarding 10 October 6th 03 09:17 AM
Burton step-in boots with strap-in bindings? P M Snowboarding 2 September 25th 03 05:46 PM