How to set up new Aero splitrims?

Old September 14th 03, 06:07 PM
Jeff Potter

Default How to set up new Aero splitrims?

I just bought a set of the new Aero 125 splitrims. It's not obvious what
is the best way to dismantle my old wheels and get the new ones going.
Anyone know? I didn't see a how-to link at Jenex. OK, I'm going back
down to the Dungeon to just wail away at it. Gotta get out there! --JP

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old September 14th 03, 06:52 PM
Jeff Potter

PS: OK, I did it.

Notes so far are that the allenkey size for the splitrim bolt is a weird
one that I didn't have. Might be english. Also that when fitting the halves
together it seemed like there was a risk of pinching the tube between them.
There was squish as I tightened the rim bolts---was I squishing the tube or
just snugging up the tire bead? I'll find out soon enough! No easy way that
I saw to keep the tube out of the crack as you tighten. Get it up into the
tire as far as you can and hope for the best.

$20 online bikeshop fork pump on the way, too, so I can get more accurate
fillings. I'm going to assume that my Silca floor pump didn't have an
accurate enough gauge. Sadly, I might end up filling every day to keep them
at exactly 85lbs. What a pain. We'll see.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old September 15th 03, 12:00 PM
Marsh Jones

A couple of tips that I've learned:
- talc the tubes before you assemble the wheels. A little talc will
make the tube slip around and be less likely to get pinched. Also,
press/bleed as much air as you can out of the tube before assembly -
it'll fit better.
- yep, it's a 9/64, which isn't found in the 'normal' set. DeWalt makes
one that chucks up in my cordless drill, which really makes assembling
the dang things easier.
- I 'slimed' the valvestem around where it fits in the rim a little bit
- just as insurance against rubbing.

As an Aero 125 FYI, if you crash, take a couple of seconds and make sure
the speed reducers didn't flip themselves on when you went down. I did
a minor frontslide yesterday at the COLL Roller Rally, bounced right
back up, and tried to keep up with the group I'd just caught.
Everything felt 'wrong'. Felt asymetrical, heart rate too high, etc.
Finally heard the telltale whirrr from the speed reducer - on one side.
Duh.

Marsh