A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Alpine Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Snow tires?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 27th 10, 05:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 440
Default Snow tires?

New Acura MDX, and I need to buy snows...any recommendations??
Ads
  #2  
Old November 27th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,382
Default Snow tires?

On Nov 27, 10:42*am, Dick G wrote:
New Acura MDX, and I need to buy snows...any recommendations??


I drive a truck so I don't know if they're appropriate for a vehicle
like yours. But for years I've bought Cooper Tires. I rotate them
every other oil change and get 50K plus. I had them on the pigovan and
two trucks since. They make a pretty wide range from 4 season to HD
mud and snow.
  #3  
Old November 27th 10, 06:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned
 
First recorded activity by SkiBanter: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,058
Default Snow tires?

On Nov 27, 9:54*am, pigo wrote:
On Nov 27, 10:42*am, Dick G wrote:

New Acura MDX, and I need to buy snows...any recommendations??


I drive a truck so I don't know if they're appropriate for a vehicle
like yours. But for years I've bought Cooper Tires. I rotate them
every other oil change and get 50K plus. I had them on the pigovan and
two trucks since. They make a pretty wide range from 4 season to HD
mud and snow.


Brain Fried Bob Thompson endorses Cooper Tires and recommends them to
Dick Gozinya on a public forum.
If I worked for Cooper, I'd be seriously embarassed.
  #4  
Old November 27th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 440
Default Snow tires?

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:54:41 -0800 (PST), pigo
wrote:

On Nov 27, 10:42*am, Dick G wrote:
New Acura MDX, and I need to buy snows...any recommendations??


I drive a truck so I don't know if they're appropriate for a vehicle
like yours. But for years I've bought Cooper Tires. I rotate them
every other oil change and get 50K plus. I had them on the pigovan and
two trucks since. They make a pretty wide range from 4 season to HD
mud and snow.

Bob, which Coopers, or are your recommending any tire within the
brand? For years I was a bit of a tire snob, sticking mainly with
Michelins. The last set I had on my TL wore out prematurely, thus I
switched over Bridgestone, which have performed well. I spent
August/September shopping for a new ski-mobile and settled on the MDX.
It came with decent all seasons, thus the search now for snows
  #5  
Old November 27th 10, 09:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 440
Default Snow tires?

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 10:05:18 -1000, Ted Waldron
wrote:

In article ,
Dick G wrote:

New Acura MDX, and I need to buy snows...any recommendations??


I am partial to Bridgestone Blizzaks.

Ted, that was what I was leaning towards as well
  #6  
Old November 27th 10, 09:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,382
Default Snow tires?

On Nov 27, 12:49*pm, Dick G wrote:

Bob, which Coopers, or are your recommending any tire within the
brand? For years I was a bit of a tire snob, sticking mainly with
Michelins. The last set I had on my TL wore out prematurely, thus I
switched over Bridgestone, which have performed well. I spent
August/September shopping for a new ski-mobile and settled on the MDX.
It came with decent all seasons, thus the search now for snows


I usually go for the most aggressive tread I can get that won't sing
on the highway for my truck. I have a Saturn Outlook too. Similar to
your MDX, maybe a little bigger? The factory Goodyears are holding out
but I was looking at some Coopers last time I got a flat repair. A
little less aggressive tread than I get for my truck but much more
than a 4 season. I've got 19" rims on the Outlook and it's the only
tire they had for it. I forget the name. Just go in and take a look at
what they have and the price.

  #7  
Old November 27th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,756
Default Snow tires?

On Nov 27, 1:50*pm, pigo wrote:
On Nov 27, 12:49*pm, Dick G wrote:

Bob, which Coopers, or are your recommending any tire within the
brand? For years I was a bit of a tire snob, sticking mainly with
Michelins. The last set I had on my TL wore out prematurely, thus I
switched over Bridgestone, which have performed well. I spent
August/September shopping for a new ski-mobile and settled on the MDX.
It came with decent all seasons, thus the search now for snows


I usually go for the most aggressive tread I can get that won't sing
on the highway for my truck. I have a Saturn Outlook too. Similar to
your MDX, maybe a little bigger? The factory Goodyears are holding out
but I was looking at some Coopers last time I got a flat repair. A
little less aggressive tread than I get for my truck but much more
than a 4 season. I've got 19" rims on the Outlook and it's the only
tire they had for it. I forget the name. Just go in and take a look at
what they have and the price.


I bought Coopers for the life of my Jeep after the original Goodyears
wore out.
  #8  
Old November 27th 10, 10:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 626
Default Snow tires?

On 11/27/2010 3:05 PM, Ted Waldron wrote:

Dick G wrote:

New Acura MDX, and I need to buy snows...any recommendations??


I am partial to Bridgestone Blizzaks.


+1 on the Blizzaks. They're as good as the Hakkepallitas and last
longer. I'm on my 4th season of my current Blizzaks, driving about 550
miles round trip each weekend to ski.

Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into "all season" tires that
are "almost as good as snowtires". Get dedicated snows.

//Walt
  #9  
Old November 28th 10, 02:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,233
Default Snow tires?

On 11/27/2010 05:56 PM, Walt wrote:
On 11/27/2010 3:05 PM, Ted Waldron wrote:

Dick wrote:

New Acura MDX, and I need to buy snows...any recommendations??


I am partial to Bridgestone Blizzaks.


+1 on the Blizzaks. They're as good as the Hakkepallitas and last
longer. I'm on my 4th season of my current Blizzaks, driving about 550
miles round trip each weekend to ski.

Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into "all season" tires that
are "almost as good as snowtires". Get dedicated snows.


While I believe this is true, and it's more true for
a "regular" car (2 wheel drive) than for either an
"all wheel drive (full time 4 wheel drive)" or selectable
4 wheel drive.

My current vehicle is a 4 wheel drive (selectable)
Toyota Tacoma. I run all weather tires for 2 years
and replace them still with a bit of tread left.

I also did this with my previous vehicle which was
a Subaru Forester (all wheel drive).

Having said that, Blizzaks are second only to fully
studded Hakkepallitas and are better than the Haks
without studs.

Then, on ice the more rubber on the ground the better.
If you don't have Blizzaks or studded Haks, then
all-weather tires will perform better than any run
of the mill "snow" tire.

Look at the tread of a snow tire, or more properly an
"mud and snow" tire (read the sidewall). These big
grippers are made to dig into a loose material and
gain traction. The only way these are going to perform
on ice is to have studs.

If you have 4 wheel drive or AWD you will probably
have good enough traction to get you out of any kind
of trouble you can get into short of biffing completely
off the road.

Conclusion:
If you have need of tires which perform BOTH in loose
snow and/or mud AND on ice or a polished snow surface
get the Blizzaks or the Haks but with studs for the
Haks. Actually any good snow tire with studs will do
for this.

If your main driving is highway with some ice or polished
snow AND you have 4WD or AWD, then probably the all
weather tires will do quite well. The do here in Vermont.

My truck is rear wheel drive when 4WD is not engaged,
is fairly light in the ass when not loaded. When going
up East Mountain Road at Killington, a fairly steep
and windy road up the east side, I can feel the truck
loose traction on ice and feel the back end begin to
try to be the front end. When this happens, I click
the 4WD switch and the thing straightens out and goes
up the hill very nicely.

Braking.
There isn't a tire in the world that will improve your
braking on ice except a studded tire. This includes
Blizzaks so don't ever expect your vehicle the be able
to stop well on an icy surface. Go slow downhill and
only as fast as you need to to maintain traction going
uphill. If the center of the road is icy, have at least
2 wheels in the softer snow/slush/granular junk on the
right hand side of the road, especially going down.

Snowbanks are your friends.

//Walt


  #10  
Old November 28th 10, 02:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,382
Default Snow tires?

On Nov 27, 7:05*pm, VtSkier wrote:

Braking.
There isn't a tire in the world that will improve your
braking on ice except a studded tire. This includes
Blizzaks so don't ever expect your vehicle the be able
to stop well on an icy surface. Go slow downhill and
only as fast as you need to to maintain traction going
uphill. If the center of the road is icy, have at least
2 wheels in the softer snow/slush/granular junk on the
right hand side of the road, especially going down.


I prefer aggressive mud and snow as I said before. But I have a GMC
crew cab. Heavy and long wheel base. I don't change tires ever. So I
need to make long highway drives in summer on them. But like I said
there are M+S that won't sing on the highway. I use them for mud in
warm weather too.

A neat trick that some might not know about.

You know how when you try to stop on ice especially when creeping
downhill, the rear of the vehicle slips to the side? Usually not a big
deal but it can be. It you put it in N it will stop straight. Anyone
know why? I don't.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
changing V2 Aero 150 tires [email protected] Nordic Skiing 3 August 20th 06 05:12 PM
If I got Hakki tires, would I be cool? Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 1 March 1st 05 09:24 AM
New V2 Aero Tires Jon Nordic Skiing 0 December 19th 03 03:00 PM
snow tires, sorry OT 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 19 November 26th 03 02:48 PM
Can you put SR 125 tires onto Aero R-skis that came with 150 tires? Chris Cline Nordic Skiing 2 August 12th 03 10:59 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.