ski storage Wax

Old March 28th 10, 08:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
RogueIT

Default ski storage Wax

Well here in Kentucky we are at the end of the season. I am now
looking into giving the skis an end of season wax...but I don't want
to use my normal swix wax for that. Can someone suggest a good cheap
storage wax?

Thanks,
Rogue

Old March 28th 10, 08:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Bob F

RogueIT wrote:
Well here in Kentucky we are at the end of the season. I am now
looking into giving the skis an end of season wax...but I don't want
to use my normal swix wax for that. Can someone suggest a good cheap
storage wax?

All I ever use is pariffin. Like they used to use for canning.

Old March 28th 10, 09:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier[_3_]

RogueIT wrote:
Well here in Kentucky we are at the end of the season. I am now
looking into giving the skis an end of season wax...but I don't want
to use my normal swix wax for that. Can someone suggest a good cheap
storage wax?

Thanks,
Rogue

Parafin, also known as 'canning wax' available
from many grocery stores and most hardware stores.
Also is great for skiing and LOTS cheaper than
"ski" wax. And even cheaper than Brazilian wax.
..

Old March 28th 10, 11:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
lal_truckee

On 3/28/10 2:29 PM, VtSkier wrote:
RogueIT wrote:
Well here in Kentucky we are at the end of the season. I am now
looking into giving the skis an end of season wax...but I don't want
to use my normal swix wax for that. Can someone suggest a good cheap
storage wax?

Thanks,
Rogue

Parafin, also known as 'canning wax' available
from many grocery stores and most hardware stores.
Also is great for skiing and LOTS cheaper than
"ski" wax. And even cheaper than Brazilian wax.

Not only what VtSkier says, paraffin is the base for making carbon ski
waxes (like the aforementioned Swix), with additives and color dye added
for different temps; yellow wax (for warm snow) has almost no additives
and is paraffin and dye - don't waste your money on fancier unless you race.

Hey, Brits - what you call paraffin we call this side of the pond
kerosene; our paraffin wax is different stuff. Any of you know what
Brits call the wax stuff?

Old March 29th 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier[_3_]

RogueIT wrote:
[...]

Oh, and I forgot, don't scrape the wax off for summer
storage. Leave it fairly thick and this will help to
keep your edges from rusting during storage.
..

Old March 29th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
MoonMan

RogueIT wrote:
[...]

Actually it is Paraffin wax or Candle wax,

kerosene and Paraffin (Oil) are something totaly different

and yes it's good for soft snow or for anything except extreme cold where it
wears off too quickly

--

Chris *:-)

Old March 29th 10, 06:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
RogueIT

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the knowledge.

Old March 30th 10, 04:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
The Real Bev[_7_]

On 03/29/2010 09:43 AM, MoonMan wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

Hey, Brits - what you call paraffin we call this side of the pond
kerosene; our paraffin wax is different stuff. Any of you know what
Brits call the wax stuff?

Actually it is Paraffin wax or Candle wax,

And if you acquire your candles at yard sales, your skis will smell good too!

kerosene and Paraffin (Oil) are something totaly different

and yes it's good for soft snow or for anything except extreme cold where it
wears off too quickly

We don't have "extreme cold" in SoCal. Some are even known to use Turtle Wax,
or even Pledge.

--
Cheers, Bev
Far away in a strange land