Fires in BC

Old August 16th 03, 06:54 AM
n g

Default Fires in BC

Jack Nixon wrote in message
With all the bad news on the fires in BC, is there somewhere in the

internet
a map available, where exactly the fires rage?

Look for cbc.vancouver.ca for fire info.

Try this:

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/pScripts/Pr...sp?Page=Projec
t&ID=6

Each fire has a map in pdf or jpg. Next section says click here for a map.
Do so only if you have a fast conection and PC or lots of time, it is a
better map but takes a lot of time.
This ones ok as well:

http://www.pep.bc.ca/operations/operations.html

What will be the influence of the damaged mountainsides on skiing (the
resorts, the heli-skiing operations and backcountry skiing)?
Assuming we will still get some snow next winter ..

So far the only ski area mentioned in fire reports is Sun Peaks, and the

fire
didn't run that way to my knowledge. Sun Peaks was evacuated and closed

last
weekend though. The fires probably haven't gone far enough north to get

into the
heli ski country, yet.

Sun Peaks was on evacuation ALERT, never actually evacuated, although the
resort pretty much became a ghost town on its own. Alert is over, operations
have resumed now.

No actual skiing terrain has been impacted at this time. Strawberry hill
could have threatened Sun Peaks and McLure could have threatened Mike
Wiegele as well as some nice touring in Wells Gray Prov. Park, but all of
the above are pretty safe for now. Ceder Hills could conceivably have gone
as far as Silver Star, but its not likely. Chilco lake is nowhere near any
ski hills. Not too sure about Crowsnest. I think its well away from any lift
served resorts, but there may be some smaller heli places in that area.