Cheap Utah loadging/lift ticket recommendation for snowboarding

Old February 6th 06, 04:33 PM

Default Cheap Utah loadging/lift ticket recommendation for snowboarding

Hi,

I am planning on going on a snowboarding trip to Utah in mid-late
March. I was wondering if anyone knows of any cheap loadging/lift
ticket combo (or separate) deals from Salt lake city? I have heard of
superpass. How does it work? Can you take any cheap shuttles to the
resorts from hotels in SLC? Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Cheers,

Old February 6th 06, 05:53 PM

snowboarder_goofy wrote:

I am planning on going on a snowboarding trip to Utah in mid-late
March. I was wondering if anyone knows of any cheap loadging/lift
ticket combo (or separate) deals from Salt lake city?

Discount tickets are readily available at most supermarkets and sporting
goods stores. Here's one example:
http://www.canyonsports.com/tickets.html

I have heard of superpass. How does it work?

You buy it from your hotel (or it's included in the package), and turn
it in at the ticket window. You get one pass per day so you can only ski
one resort per day. It's good at any of the Cottonwoods Canyon resorts,
although it's cheaper to buy tix at the discounters (exception: the
Snowbird tram).

http://www.visitsaltlake.com/ski/superpass.shtml

Can you take any cheap shuttles to the resorts from hotels in SLC?

SLC has a pretty good public transportation system, including busses
that go up LCC and BCC. If your hotel is on the bus line, you're in
business. The bus is $2 each way, or free with the superpass. Look for
hotels in Sandy or Midvale for the most convienent access.

See http://www.rideuta.com/ for details.

Note: you can take a shuttle from the airport to Park City and once
there use PC's free shuttle system to get around. BUT, PC is much more
expensive than the cottonwood canyons and once you're in PC it'll be
hard to get the discount tix.

//Walt

Old February 10th 06, 05:07 PM

Walt,

Appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,

Old February 12th 06, 05:09 AM

I agree with Walt. Stay in a downtown hotel and take the bus. Super
cheap.. Try to find one that has full buffet breaksfast. It's worth
$20 a day for convenience. If you rent a car stay near the airport.
Lots of deals out there..

If you want to go big check the specials at Snowbird. No reason to go
anywhere else:

http://www.snowbird.com/lodging/hotdeals.php?deal=16

Old March 5th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jolly_O

I am planning on going on a snowboarding trip to Utah in mid-late
March. I was wondering if anyone knows of any cheap loadging/lift
ticket combo (or separate) deals from Salt lake city? I have heard of
superpass.

The Superpass is a combination lift/ski bus voucher for any one of the
Cottonwood Canyon resorts (Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude) which
can be bought at many of the hotels. You turn it in at the ticket
window of the resort, and get a "real" pass. I stayed at a Best
Western, and they had the passes for the four canyon resorts. It was
$50, and was a good deal - even includes the tram at Snowbird.

The ski bus is pretty cool, and access able. A big benefit of the bus
- the Cottonwood Canyon roads are often restricted to vehicles with
chains or 4WD. If you are up there with a 2WD, you might be SOL when
trying to get back to your motel. The ski busses run unless the road
is closed to all traffic. SLC also has great "around town" public
transportation that you can use to head downtown to see Temple Square
or other sights.

Jack
Old March 5th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Mar 4, 10:00 pm, Jolly_O wrote:
[...]

The Embassy Suites hotel in downtown SLC is a good lodging choice. It
has a free buffet breakfast and is across the street from the second
stop on the ski bus morning route. Getting on the bus early can be
important because sometimes it fills up quickly. You may have to stand
for a while and/or there may not be room for your board in the storage
area inside the bus (meaning you'll have to hold it while you sit or
stand). This hotel also has a free reception each evening with snacks
and an open bar, if that's important to you. And the extra space
provided by a suite is nice when you have a lot of gear.

The best thing about the ski bus is that it's cheap -- free with a
Superpass. It may not be entirely convenient for you, however. As
noted, it can get crowded. Also, the ski bus runs only once out of SLC
on weekday mornings, and twice on weekend and holiday mornings (8 and
9 a.m.). There are also only two buses coming back in the afternoon,
so you must keep track of the time while on the slopes. If you are
heading to Solitude or Brighton, you must transfer to another bus on
both the way up and the way down. On the way down you must be careful
to time your departure from Solitude or Brighton to be able to catch
the SLC bus coming from Snowbird/Alta (as mentioned, there are only
two buses going to SLC but there are a half-dozen or so leaving
Solitude/Brighton for the suburbs). Miss the transfer and you'll have
to call a cab.

Shop online for your Superpass before you buy one in a hotel. I bought
the passes for our recent Utah trip last fall, when there happened to
be a "buy two, get one free" special on Travelocity. The price was
discounted to begin with, so the net result was that I was able to
purchase three three-day Superpasses for about $93 each. Hard to beat
a $31 lift ticket that includes round-trip bus transportation! I ended
up missing a day of riding because of lost luggage (see the bag
packing thread), but the passes were still a bargain even when applied
to only two days.

Joe Ramirez

Old March 5th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Walt

wrote:
On Mar 4, 10:00 pm, Jolly_O wrote:
I am planning on going on a snowboarding trip to Utah in mid-late
March. I was wondering if anyone knows of any cheap loadging/lift
ticket combo (or separate) deals from Salt lake city? I have heard of
superpass.

The Superpass is a combination lift/ski bus voucher for any one of the
Cottonwood Canyon resorts (Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude) which
can be bought at many of the hotels. You turn it in at the ticket
window of the resort, and get a "real" pass. I stayed at a Best
Western, and they had the passes for the four canyon resorts. It was
$50, and was a good deal - even includes the tram at Snowbird.

There are better deals than the Superpass -
http://www.canyonsports.com/tickets.html

Similar deals are available at most sporting goods stores and grocery
stores. There's a store right at the entrance to Big Cottonwood Canyon
that has more or less the same deals as Canyonsports.

Don't know about lodging packages, but there are lots of inexpensive
motels around Sandy/Midvale. If you're really into saving money, stay at
the Residence Inn and cook your meals in the kitchenette.

//Walt

Old March 6th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Walt

Jolly_O wrote:
On 5 Mar 2007 06:58:56 -0800, wrote:

Also, the ski bus runs only once out of SLC
on weekday mornings, and twice on weekend and holiday mornings (8 and
9 a.m.).

While there are few bus runs out of downtown SLC, I think that there
are frequent runs out of areas like Sandy. The full schedule for the
ski bus can be found at:

http://www.utabus.com/schedulesAndMa.../byCounty.aspx

Taking the bus from the entrance to BCC or LCC canyon up to the slopes
is pretty painless. Trying to take a bus from anywhere else means
limited service and transfers. Yes, it can be done, but it's a PITA.

I'd recommend getting a cheap rental car and driving. You don't need an
expensive 4WD SUV. It almost never snows in town, and if the road up
the canyon is closed to non 4WD vehicles, just park at the bus stop and
take the bus up the hill.

//Walt