book on "new skate" technique (at last)

Old August 23rd 03, 01:04 AM
Ken Roberts

Default book on "new skate" technique (at last)

I've been complaining about the lack of a good book on the new ideas about
skating technique.

Now I think I found one, thanks to Serge's suggestion. It's written by a
Norwegian racer who brought the secret techniques with him to the United
States. He collaborated with an American to write them all down in a
_book_, in very readable English. Better than the other books or articles
than I've seen on ski skating. It was like having all the best tips I've
gotten in the last year from my on-snow lesson and this newsgroup, but in
the larger context of a full book.

Skating for Cross-Country Skiers, by Audun Endestad and John Teaford (1987),
ISBN 0-88011-282-4

That four-digit number in the line above is the _date_ of publication. As
in 16 years ago. Various people have claimed that they could see "new
skate" ideas being performed by some skiers in the early 1990's.

My challenge to the modern coaches:
Which of the valuable "new skate" ideas presented in the last five years was
not already _written_down_ in Endestad and Teaford's book 16 years ago?

My question for the ski historians:
What happened in the U.S.? How come when I look at the books of the 1990's,
it seemed that Endestad and Teaford's concepts had vanished from the
American scene? And where are those two authors now?

Ken

Old August 23rd 03, 12:17 PM
Rob Bradlee

it seemed that Endestad and Teaford's concepts had
vanished from the
American scene? And where are those two authors
now?

Duner lives in Fairbanks. I raced with him at Natl
Masters in Anchorage last winter.

Rob Bradlee

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old September 8th 03, 02:41 PM
Ken Roberts

The more I read this book by Endestad and Teaford, the more stimulating
ideas I find in it.

So I decided to summarize some of the key concepts of the book and put them
up on the Web at
http://www.roberts-1.com/xcski/skate/et
I think that page will itself provide some stimulating ideas and tips for
anybody working on their racing-style skate technique.

Even better is to purchase the original book:
Skating for Cross-Country Skiers, by Audun Endestad and John Teaford
(Liesure Press, 1987),
ISBN 0-88011-282-4
You have to find it from a used book dealer -- I bought mine thru Amazon.

Ken

P.S.
My real goal is that Nathan or somebody will be disturbed by my page -- and
feel compelled by its shortcomings to write a modern book on ski skating
technique, one which we can all buy as a new book in lots of cross country
skiing stores.

Old September 12th 03, 01:01 PM
Ken Roberts

That is _great_ news, Nathan.

I agree that the monetary payback for your labor is probably going to end up
being less than minimum wage -- so thanks a lot in advance.

It's just that I need to find the time to write.

I guess that's what we're going to find out: How bad you need it.

Ken

Old September 12th 03, 04:21 PM
Jeff Potter

I thought that Dooner's book, and your page notes, end up with low hips. The
pics in his book seem to show too much of a speedskate posture as well, like
not even realistic, not how I've even seen Dooner ski. It doesn't have a
standing up and forward aspect. It came from when skating first started. From
what I recall.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old September 12th 03, 04:28 PM
Jeff Potter

Sounds great, Nathan! Yeah, to get a book done you simply have to go nuts on
it. You can do a few other things in life as well but there has to be a huge
push and focus in my experience. Otherwise anything and everything will hamper
the effort. Then after the book is done the real work starts. Ho ho! : )

For a microniche I think that one needs to charge a LOT per unit to hope to
make some income. It's like custom bike building. When you're selling to just
500-2000 people you have to charge twice as much. Great photos and tons of
vital, useful data let you do this, no prob.

Good luck and bon voyage! (OK, let's not bother Nathan for a good long time
now, y'all.)

--

Jeff Potter
****