The Cosmic Ski Dance

Old October 1st 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default The Cosmic Ski Dance

to ski

Who doesn't want to ski
to be inside the body not somewhere beside it
to feel the arms and legs cold and clean
in the clear chill air like on wings,
as though every limb were for a moment
free of gravity out of the world
- the body, majestic planet reeling in its own soft sparkle

Who doesn't want to ski
to let the body go gracefully mad
to fall into the snow as though from the peaks
-every muscle a feather every three feathers a bird
every bird bald blind and falling
as though the fall itself were skiing
as if the snow were a cushion of air
a wind holding you up
-as though in motion the body is a leaf
is a new fabric
better than feathers
a part of the snow

Who doesn't want to remember the feet
to wash them in snow
to feel gravity's tireless kiss bringing you back
pulling you in as if there were only you and the slope
and the snow were the whole
and the body were our small soul on skis as it breathes
-as though breathing were skiing
and skiing were living
and living was enough.
Who doesn't want to ski?

( I paraphrased this from Timothy S. Seibles, who apparently didn't know
land-locked dance was a sorry extension of the cosmic dance that is
skiing when he wrote his version.)
Old October 2nd 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Oct 1, 11:31*am, lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

Nice. Will you get your doctorate for this?
Old October 2nd 10, 02:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snowbender

[...]

Well, I had these two nice kiddos, about 10~11 y-o, straight A
students, and never-ever skiers a few years ago. Smart kids, learned
fast too; at the end of the two hours lesson, they can linked wedge
turn down the bunny hill. And they were also seemed enjoyed. So, I
related these information to their parents. Their parents seemed even
more excited so they suggested to the boys to stay over Tahoe(!) one
more night and take another lesson the next day before going home. But
the boys said, no, they've got homework to do.(!???) Good kids?

( I paraphrased this from Timothy S. Seibles, who apparently didn't know
land-locked dance was a sorry extension of the cosmic dance that is
skiing when he wrote his version.)

Nevertheless,
"and skiing were living
and living was enough."

And that's good enough for me,
snowbender
Old October 2nd 10, 04:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Oct 2, 7:52*am, snowbender wrote:
[...]

It loks like given the option of another day with you, or a day of
homework, they took the choice most of us would have taken.

Old October 2nd 10, 05:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article
,
snowbender wrote:

Well, I had these two nice kiddos, about 10~11 y-o, straight A
students, and never-ever skiers a few years ago. Smart kids, learned
fast too; at the end of the two hours lesson, they can linked wedge
turn down the bunny hill. And they were also seemed enjoyed. So, I
related these information to their parents. Their parents seemed even
more excited so they suggested to the boys to stay over Tahoe(!) one
more night and take another lesson the next day before going home. But
the boys said, no, they've got homework to do.(!???) Good kids?

No, SMART kids. Thanks for the hilarious story.
Old October 2nd 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snowbender

On Oct 2, 9:05 am, Richard Henry wrote:
On Oct 2, 7:52 am, snowbender wrote:

Well, I had these two nice kiddos, about 10~11 y-o, straight A
students, and never-ever skiers a few years ago. Smart kids, learned
fast too; at the end of the two hours lesson, they can linked wedge
turn down the bunny hill. And they were also seemed enjoyed. So, I
related these information to their parents. Their parents seemed even
more excited so they suggested to the boys to stay over Tahoe(!) one
more night and take another lesson the next day before going home. But
the boys said, no, they've got homework to do.(!???) Good kids?

It loks like given the option of another day with you, or a day of
homework, they took the choice most of us would have taken.

Given the option, do you really take doing the homework over skiing?
And another question just pops up in my mind, have you gappers ever
praised someone's skiing on this forum? When and who?

snowbender
Old October 2nd 10, 06:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Oct 2, 10:51*am, snowbender
wrote:
[...]

Skiing over homework. Homework over Tai Chi skiing.
Old October 2nd 10, 07:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snowbender

On Oct 2, 11:21 am, Richard Henry wrote:
On Oct 2, 10:51 am, snowbender
wrote:
[...]

That's incredible. So you gappers never did praise any other people's
skiing on this forum? Wow, what a conceited bunch.

snowbender
Old October 2nd 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote:
[...]

I have learned your method of answering a different question than the
one that was last asked.
Old October 2nd 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
snowbender wrote:

On Oct 2, 9:05 am, Richard Henry wrote:
On Oct 2, 7:52 am, snowbender wrote:

Well, I had these two nice kiddos, about 10~11 y-o, straight A
students, and never-ever skiers a few years ago. Smart kids, learned
fast too; at the end of the two hours lesson, they can linked wedge
turn down the bunny hill. And they were also seemed enjoyed. So, I
related these information to their parents. Their parents seemed even
more excited so they suggested to the boys to stay over Tahoe(!) one
more night and take another lesson the next day before going home. But
the boys said, no, they've got homework to do.(!???) Good kids?

It loks like given the option of another day with you, or a day of
homework, they took the choice most of us would have taken.

Given the option, do you really take doing the homework over skiing?

No.

Which makes one wonder why they did.

There was one other factor in that choice, wasn't there?

It was homework over skiing another day with *you*.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia