Why only ski Europe?

Old March 3rd 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Dymphna

Default Why only ski Europe?

The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old March 3rd 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
xxx

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 12:32:41 -0600, Dymphna
wrote:

The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

The alps are closer to home. We travel for less time. We use less resources
travelling. It is a lot more comfortable. With thought it is cheaper.

Some of the European resorts are very well developed. The French government
national and local has subsidised the development of their resorts in what
otherwise would be a very poor area. The lift infrastructure is magnificent in
the popular resorts.

In Italy the food is better.

Yes there are bigger mountains in North America but it is nice to ski below the
tree line. Us low living individuals are unlucky to suffer any altitude sickness
if we are staying below 2000m. The most French and Italien resorts are
Mediterranean they bathed in warm bright sunshine in March and April.

So why travel to North America, Long travel time, too high, freezing cold in
Canada, Bad food (although plentiful) etc.

New Zealand and Chile look interesting but not USA :-)
Old March 3rd 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 12:32:41 -0600, Dymphna squeezed out the following:

The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

They're also much, much closer. And cheaper.

--
Colin Irvine
Old March 4th 09, 12:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eugene Miya

In article ,
Dymphna wrote:
The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

Trolling?

I doubt anyone here would "only". Given opportunities.
And the Alps != Europe.

The Alpine infrastructure is far more developed than the USA or Rockies
in particular. It's possible to buy a ticket valid at over 460 lifts in
a number of Europen superski destinations where no such thing exists in
the USA yet. Not that anyone could seriously such that many lifts in a day.
All this makes it cheaper.

The US/Canada have nothing like the Haute Route (not for lack of trying)
or the Sella Ronda. Cross borders, inter-resorts are minor and rare.

The Alps and Norway are where skiing started. History has privileges.

The main Alpine advantages stem mostly from being further N in latitude
than most of the USA with a lower timber line than in the USA. Glaciers
are in great evidence.

We leave out Spain (2 ranges), Russia, and some of the developing areas
in the former Eastern Bloc.

The Alps has resorts with more vertical than anywhere in the New World.

The New World has some advantage with helos and sno-cats.

New World ski resort food is mostly a joke. You have Michelin star
rated restaurants at resorts. We mostly have burgers, hot dogs, chili,
and chowder, and thin hot chocolate.

Some New World ski resorts might have better snow than maritime snow fall in
the Alps, Norway, etc. This is an illusion. You don't see anything.

Liability. Ever see a fist fight break out between a snowboarder and a skier?

Have we mentioned a survey once conducted in rec.skiing witnessed a
trend of Americans carrying concealed firearms while they were skiing?

And remember when you come to the USA (and/or Canada) and Rockies in
particular:
Ski Vail. 3.0
Please spend money. The US can use it.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

Old March 4th 09, 09:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"Dymphna" wrote in message
news

The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

Well I'm sure most of us are open-minded enough to take advantage of skiing
in the Rockies when we have the opportunity, but the newsgroup title surely
says it all. If you want to talk about the Rockies try
rec.skiing.resorts.north-america

Of course for us European softies it's bloody cold over there!

--
Paul S

Old March 4th 09, 10:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Steve Pardoe

"Colin Irvine" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 12:32:41 -0600, Dymphna squeezed out the following:

The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

They're also much, much closer. And cheaper.

....and we don't have to go through all that visa and immigration sh*t which
the paranoid merkins (sorry Eugene, I agree with all you say) throw at us.

Steve P

Old March 4th 09, 07:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eugene Miya

In article ,
Steve Pardoe wrote:
"Colin Irvine" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 12:32:41 -0600, Dymphna squeezed out the following:
The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

They're also much, much closer. And cheaper.

...and we don't have to go through all that visa and immigration sh*t which
the paranoid merkins (sorry Eugene, I agree with all you say) throw at us.

No need to apologize.
Over than half of us aren't happy about that either.
I was in Canada the day the Economic Stimulus Package was ID'ed to have
"Buy American" clauses in it.

Europe, to the USA skiers, is more competitive to the Eastern seaboard skiers
than Western skiers (we have other reasons for visiting: my next trip will
likely include a diplomatic dog and pony show at the U. Pisa, IBM Zurich,
Google Zurich, the EPFL, the ETH, and a new institute being formed by a friend).
I'm just waiting to see the fares Ryan Air says that it will be offering
this Fall. So long as air fares on the East remain competitive with
fares to Europe, if friends have time, they can get a nice Alpine
vacation. Most USAians however are much more work oriented (especially
in this economy). I just don't want to bother to lose my use-or-lose leave.

The European visa **** wasn't that long ago. It merely took time for
the US to catch up. Meanwhile you guys implemented your Commission and
Union and conventions (I still keep a few Lira, DMs, Francs (FF as
opposed to SF). Also, you guys have lived longer with larger scale terrorism
because of roads and rail (went thru Madrid and London shortly after
those bombings).

Also don't forget that when you get on Swiss trains, there are a lot of
guys doing their annual 3 weeks of service with their automatic rifles.

Seeing differences is part of travel.

A couple of places never covered by travel guides which I've see around
in different European countries are Wild West motif restaurants/resorts,
teepees, cover wagons, with shows where the Indians speak German (and other
languages {French Canadian Indians can speak French of course}). I
wonder what you guys think of our West.... Yes, I have been to Monument
Valley where those Ford Westerns were made.

I have friends who live on ranches, in log cabins, geodesic domes, and
in 2 cases, tee pees (pale faces, not native peoples).

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
web gateway!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----
Old March 5th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Dymphna[_2_]

Not everyone on the boards are in Europe I live next to the Rockies.

--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old March 5th 09, 07:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman[_2_]

Dymphna wrote:

The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

These mountains are small. Those mountains are far away.

Of course, you can't ski on much of the Rockies. You ski in ski resorts,
and European ones are bigger and better :-P

--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400F SH50
If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Workshop manual?
Old March 6th 09, 09:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Jérémy

(The Older Gentleman) wrote in
news:1iw4e9s.poroy63jo65N%totallydeadmailbox@yahoo .co.uk:

You ski in ski resorts,

?

--
Jeremy
R1200RT

Ski testing in Europe AH European Ski Resorts 2 December 6th 05 09:33 AM
Anything left in Europe?? JP European Ski Resorts 15 May 17th 04 05:59 PM
Skiing in Europe Adam Honey Marketplace 0 May 15th 04 07:30 PM
Moving to Europe JimTheBoarder General 0 December 4th 03 03:29 PM
europe NIC ATKINSON Alpine Skiing 11 December 4th 03 02:31 AM