Favourite resort & run

Old August 16th 07, 10:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Default Favourite resort & run

BrritSki wrote:
Mighty Chris wrote:
Remind me what the Pas de Chevre is---

No goats up here, oh no, far too dangerous

Isn't that a bit cheesy,

--
Chris *:-)

Old August 16th 07, 11:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:12:20 -0700, Mighty Chris
wrote this crap:

Ooh very well said there dude.

I got really lucky once--- I went to university with a french ski
dude. After graduating I planned to spend a winter skiing in Europe,
so I asked him where to go. He said Chamonix for the Off Piste.

I think Shamonay is overrated. But who cares? I got kicked out of
France.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old August 16th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:30:03 -0700, "Wayne Decker"
wrote this crap:

Since they are in my backyard and I do not have to travel to get
there--Midweek runs on either Mammoth or June.

My favorite place is anywhere Scott Abraham isn't.

Old August 17th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mighty Chris

Chamonix is more for the ski-mountaineer type. For a regular inbounds
skier it'd be terrible. Much better to hit one of those mega-piste
resorts like Trois Vallees or something.

My favorite thing is hiking up stuff and skiing down. In Chamonix,
many of the trams take you so high you don't even have to hike up. You
just traverse sideways for a half hour or so on your skis. It's really
incredible. I skied about 110 days with people who'd lived there for
years and I barely scratched the surface of what's available as far as
off-piste terrain. Every single day, whether it's snowed lately or
not, you can find an awesome descent.

One day we descended into Switzerland and then rode the train back to
Chamonix. It's unreal!

The other thing is they let you determine whether you should be skiing
whatever you're skiing. People die there a lot. You get so used to
hearing of people dying that you start to not really react unless it
was 2-3 people who got avalanched all at the same time or something.
My roommate was skiing a normal backcountry line which leads down to
the village and came upon a recently killed snowboarder who had been
avalanched.

Imagine if 20 people died this year in Vail--- they'd probably close
the mountain permanently.

Everybody likes different places but my two favorites are Whistler and
Chamonix.

Chris

Old August 17th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_6_]

Harry Weiner wrote:

I think Shamonay is overrated. But who cares? I got kicked out of
France.

AGAIN?!

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

Old August 17th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_6_]

gawd. so many.

but a golden day that pops up is at Powder Mountain. Friend in our group had
a friend in ski school who took us under his wing. Up the snow cat, and down
out of the resort area. We didn't see the resort again for some hours! I'd
never find this again, but it was luscious bottomless powder, total silence,
people didn't exist. It wasn't steep or gnarly (nothing there is), but it
was dreamy. Quite perfect, really.

And if anyone wants to get that guide again, his name was Craig, he was a
new level 2, an older gentleman, and a local. Knew every scrap of snow,
every rock, and really made a good day into a magical day.

Old August 19th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Aug 16, 5:13 am, Mighty Chris wrote:
Remind me what the Pas de Chevre is--- I recognize the name but I cant
remember it.

It's the run from the top of Grands Montets down to the Mer de Glace
glacier (end of Vallee Blanche). Fantastic views of Mont Blanc and a
nice sustained ~30 degree slope with several variants. Vertical down
to the village is more than 2km so it feels like a ski-tour.

Old August 19th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Aug 16, 1:01 pm, Harry wrote:

I think Shamonay is overrated. But who cares? I got kicked out of
France.

The resort may be but the mountains there are fabulous. When one exits
the Aiguille du Midi condola most of the nearby mountains are +4000m
high.