Skiing in Humboldt County California?

Old November 9th 05, 07:32 PM

Default Skiing in Humboldt County California?

Hi folks in Northern California,

I have never been to Northern California, and don't really have any
idea what sort of climate is there. For various reasons I am in the
early stages of considering moving there.

Is there skiing around Eureka? How far for XC? What is the climate
like?

Thanks!

Joseph

Old November 10th 05, 04:20 AM
sknyski

Holy hell, what did you get convicted of? Or is this part of some sort
of a plea bargain? All kidding aside, I'll weigh in because I don't
think we have a lot of representatives on this newsgroup from Humboldt
County.

In short, it rains a lot there. All the time. That's because you are
pretty close to Oregon, and the storms keep up through the summer there
when around here (SF Bay) it dries out.

As far as skiing is concerned, I would guess that your closest
destination for track skiing is Shasta, but you have to get there - I
remember driving once from Eureka to Redding and it was quite a trip.
Then you have to get on 5 and go....north or south, can't remember.
The good news is that Shasta is right off the freeway.

That's all I've got, right off the top of my head. Good luck with it.
Hopefully it's teaching position......

bt

Old November 10th 05, 04:13 PM
freeheelfunhog

Some of us in Oregon would like you to believe sknyski and his
precipitation outlook for our area. (Where I live, we average 19 inches
of rain a year, just about the same as SF with 20) Sknyski, the
anti-chamber of commerce...But, he's right about Eureka where it rains
about 37 inches a year.

It's about a 4.5 hour drive from Eureka to Shasta, not a whole lot
different than it is on a Friday from the Bay Area to Tahoe and it's
much more beautiful drive (imho) with less traffic, albeit on a
relatively narrow road.

For groomed track, Shasta really is the ticket.

T.

PS You can sand ski and surf near Eureka.

Old November 14th 05, 03:36 AM
Jeff Wilson

When the snow gods are nice, there is some cross country skiing around
Blackberry Summit or maybe Willow Creek, an hour or so east of Eureka.
I can't remember where. I though I heard that there was some kind of
nordic center there. Find the Humboldt State University web site.
They should have a ski club that can give you some info.

Otherwise its east to Weaverville (trinity alps), east to Lassen NP or
east and north to Shasta or Ashland OR. Even Weaverville is a long
drive. I believe the only "resort" skiing is at Shasta and Ashland OR.

Eureka is a wonderful place to live if you don't mind the rain and fog.

Jeff

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 04:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 01:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM
xc skiing vs. snowmobiling Greg Fangel Nordic Skiing 2 October 30th 03 04:19 PM