Quiet(er) waterproof/breathable shell?

Old November 14th 04, 05:37 PM
Lance Morgan

Default Quiet(er) waterproof/breathable shell?

I recently bought a Marmot Manaslu MemBrain® shell, and didn't realize
until I got home how noisy it is (at least to me)

A search shows some hits on "noisy Goretex®". Makes sense that 3-ply
is noisier than 2 - I don't know how many plies MemBrain® is, and/or
if it's noisier than other similar products

Will the MemBrain® and shell material 'break-in' at all, getting
quieter (I really like the looks of the jacket - a 2002 model, IIRC -
and would like to use it for various pursuits)?

Any suggestions for something similar but more quiet (any brand names
or waterproof/breathable materials)? I prefer thicker shell, but that
may be contrary to getting something quieter...

I'm also looking at softshells - there seems to be an explosion in the
number of all type of jacket model offerrings in recent times

Thank you,
Lance
Old November 14th 04, 09:32 PM
Gary S.

On 14 Nov 2004 10:37:38 -0800, (Lance Morgan)
wrote:

I recently bought a Marmot Manaslu MemBrain® shell, and didn't realize
until I got home how noisy it is (at least to me)

A search shows some hits on "noisy Goretex®". Makes sense that 3-ply
is noisier than 2 - I don't know how many plies MemBrain® is, and/or
if it's noisier than other similar products

Will the MemBrain® and shell material 'break-in' at all, getting
quieter (I really like the looks of the jacket - a 2002 model, IIRC -
and would like to use it for various pursuits)?

Any suggestions for something similar but more quiet (any brand names
or waterproof/breathable materials)? I prefer thicker shell, but that
may be contrary to getting something quieter...

I'm also looking at softshells - there seems to be an explosion in the
number of all type of jacket model offerrings in recent times

Soft shells are a big advance, but will not replace a hard shell
completely. You would still need a hard shell with you, but it would
stay in the pack except for heavy rain or wind, while wearing the soft
shell will be enough for mist/light drizzle, and lighter winds.

For a quiet hard shell, you are right, that a 3 ply is noisier than 2.

3 ply means that they have laminated together the outer fabric, the
Gore-Tex membrane, and an inner layer of light mesh or something else
to protect the Gore-Tex from abrasion. 3 ply needs no separate liner.

2 ply means that they have laminated together the outer fabric and the
Gore-Tex membrane, and then there is a second piece of light
breathable fabric or mesh sewn in as a liner.

3 ply is more durable, breathes better, etc.

2 ply has a better "hand", the industry term for a softer, less stiff
fabric feel.

For a quieter shell, note that Gore-Tex membrane can be laminated to a
variety of different fabrics. Hunting suppliers tend to do better with
quiet options, as well as suppliers who focus on a more
military-oriented market.

Bean's and Cabela's would be first stops.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old November 14th 04, 10:06 PM
R Ebert

Hi!
A search shows some hits on "noisy Goretex®". Makes sense that 3-ply
is noisier than 2 - I don't know how many plies MemBrain® is, and/or
if it's noisier than other similar products

That's probably right due to the fact that 3-ply is a laminate of three
layers (as the name tells us...) and so the final product is stiffer
then a laminate of two layers.
And "stiffer" means allways more crunchy.

Will the MemBrain® and shell material 'break-in' at all, getting
quieter (I really like the looks of the jacket - a 2002 model, IIRC -
and would like to use it for various pursuits)?

I'd doubt that it will change much without loosing some of its
waterproofness.

Any suggestions for something similar but more quiet (any brand names
or waterproof/breathable materials)? I prefer thicker shell, but that
may be contrary to getting something quieter...

Use it during stormy weather, use batting for your ears...
This is not a question of brand names but of used materials. I'd imagine
that 3-ply textiles all noisy - at least noisier than 2-plys.
Maybe that a Jacket with an Event-membrane might be a little less
noisier but eve nthat I'd doubt: The reason is the fact of lamination
and not used textiles.

I'm also looking at softshells - there seems to be an explosion in the
number of all type of jacket model offerrings in recent times

And: they're much less noisier - but if you prefer thick shells probably
these wouldn't be an alternative you'd like.
Also if you like heavy weather activities I wouldn't recommend a soft
shell...

RicciE
Old November 15th 04, 08:06 AM
Peter Clinch

Lance Morgan wrote:

Any suggestions for something similar but more quiet (any brand names
or waterproof/breathable materials)? I prefer thicker shell, but that
may be contrary to getting something quieter...

Ventile will probably be quieter than any nylon plus coating/laminate.
Rather smaller choice of garments, mind you, and there are some other
issues with it.

I'm also looking at softshells - there seems to be an explosion in the
number of all type of jacket model offerrings in recent times

They work very well if all you need to deal with is a shower.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old November 15th 04, 10:56 PM
Jon C

Lance Morgan wrote:

[...]

Mountain Hardwear Synchro.

Waterproof, stretchy, roomy enough to layer, quiet, comfy, and it comes
in a color called Lizard.

How cool is that?