Advice Needed

Old October 27th 03, 07:57 PM
Jay Pique

Default Advice Needed

Hey there -

I'm in the market for some new ski poles this season, and was hoping
you all could help me out. My current pole has served me well over
the years, but I think it might be time to get my hands on a new one.
I'm just not quite comfortable with it anymore - I think maybe my grip
is a little off center, or perhaps after years of hard use the shaft
is starting to lose rigidity. I'm an expert skier and love to just
rip up the bumps at every opportunity. I'm also way into hucking huge
air and jibbing is probably what I like best - 720 mute fakey iron
crosses are my favorite move, but I'm not shy about throwing a double
back-flip in every now and again just to make sure I can still do
them. Huge bottomless powder bashing and going warp speed on groomers
are the other two areas I like best. (I raced competitively for 12
years but I got dicked by my coack, otherwise I'd have gone pro.)
Given this, what direction do you think I should go, polewise?

Do you think the new Atomic AFT Carbons would be OK for me? I was
able to demo them, as well as the top of the line Salomon, Leki,
Rossi, and Smith offerings at the end of last season. The Smith
Competition Z Bend felt ok, but the girth just wasn't what I'm used
to. I also tried a few K2 and Goodes as well, since I ski about 120
days a year in all conditions and hit a dozen or so demo days each
season. What pole do you guys think I should get? I'm really hoping
you all can help me out. Keep in mind too that money is no object for
me.

Thanks, and if anyone wants me to show you where all the good powder
stashes are I'll be glad to show you around (provided you can keep up
- seriously). Just shoot me a line and bring a case of beer or
something and I'll be glad to take you around for a bit.

Yours rippingly,
JP
*******************************
PS- I also love slamming through the trees on DD glade runs, so I'd
prefer to be handling a nice hefty shaft with a durable top-skin. I'd
hate to mark it up, or even break it during an especially wild solo
session.
Old October 27th 03, 08:08 PM
Dave M

Jay Pique wrote:

[...]

Have you demoed the retro-bamboo? Very nice, especially with the woven
leather baskets. They might be good ... nice balance and heft with nice
knobbly places on the shaft that often whistle at speed, striking terror
into the other skiers on the bunny hill. There is no topskin which
makes the topskin infintely durable.

Either those or there is a great video out there "Make Your Own Poles,
You Cheap *******" that details the fabrication of "performance" poles
from common household items such as ... used metal hangers, *empty*
toilet paper rolls and dcut tape or even a combination of the two.

I know that moey is no object for a jet setting, big air hucking, mogul
busting, Zen ski guru like you but this might be something to consider.

Dave
Old October 27th 03, 08:32 PM
lal_truckee

Jay Pique wrote:

[...]

It's clear that the newly released BeHatch SuperCenter Carbon
BuckyNanotube 3000 poles are the only poles for you. You can get your
very own poles in Cracow next time you visit. However, don't deal with
just any Coack - you want a speciality pole shop, with expert Croak pole
fitters who offer guarenteed post-purchase adjustments. Otherwise, you
might get Dicked by your Coack twice.

Old October 27th 03, 08:39 PM
Richard Walsh

Jay Pique wrote in
:

Hey there -

I'm in the market for some new ski poles this season,

(HUGE Snipp)

Sheeit, just do what the rest of do...
see what's there.

2. Check out what the base lodge maintenance people
have in the furnace room (my personal favorite).

3. Go to a yard sale of two, no not that kind, the
kind you have to drive to.

RW
Old October 27th 03, 08:43 PM
bdubya

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:57:18 -0500, Jay Pique
wrote:

[...]

Y'know, the trend with recreational-market poles has been towards
lightness and low swing weight. But with as dynamic a skier as you
are, what you really need (especially for the aerials) is something
with a little more polar inertia and stability, something that will
offer substantial counterbalance for air moves, and also smooth out
your ride a little as you warp over the bumps. With this in mind, I
have hand-crafted my own poles. Check'em out! (Grips removed to show
high-density aerospace pole stock):
http://vinyl.hooverfence.com/img/norfolk/rebar.jpg

HTH. YMMV.

bw
My pole of choice? The Zywiec brewmaster, of course.
Old October 27th 03, 08:47 PM
Walt

Jay Pique wrote:

My current pole has served me well over
the years, but I think it might be time to get my hands on a new one.

What pole do you guys think I should get? I'm really hoping
you all can help me out. Keep in mind too that money is no object for
me.

Since money is no object, I'd say splurge and buy two.

You'll probably find that your form improves when you don't have to
change hands every time you turn.

HTH HAND.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 28th 03, 03:14 AM
The Real Bev

tm wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:

Hey there -

I'm in the market for some new ski poles this season, and was hoping
you all could help me out. My current pole has served me well over
the years, but I think it might be time to get my hands on a new one.
I'm just not quite comfortable with it anymore - I think maybe my grip
is a little off center, or perhaps after years of hard use the shaft
is starting to lose rigidity.

The Caverta Sildenafil Citrate may be just the thing for you.

Ah, so THAT's what it's for. Hundreds of people have been trying to
convince me that they have the best price for it, but I still can't
figure out why there are that many people interested in ski equipment.

Bulgarians swear by the Tribulus Terrestris, but hey, who listens to
Bulgarians?

Isn't that puncture-weed? I can show you where you can gather a
lifetime supply.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old October 28th 03, 04:28 AM
The Real Bev

tm wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
tm wrote:

Bulgarians swear by the Tribulus Terrestris, but hey, who listens to
Bulgarians?

Isn't that puncture-weed?

[...]

Apparently so. Further research is necessary before branching into the
obvious humour potential of 'puncture-weed'.

Yes, I can see that Bulgarians might be, um, different.

--
Cheers,
Bev