Les Gets - information

Old January 23rd 04, 10:43 AM
steve a

Default Les Gets - information

Hi all

Just got back from 3 glorious days in Les Gets the last two in beautiful
sunshine with the most perfect snow, no lift queues and half empty pistes,
for anyone going a few bits of info for you.

Accommodation: Hotel Chamois - www.skiepm.com Being run for the first time
this year by Tim and the rest of his team of Brits - the rooms are typical
ski accommodation, but who cares about that, its only where you sleep ! -
but clean, warm and cosy. The staff were great and very helpful and really
added to the atmosphere of the place. The highlight however was the food -
we were half board, and our expectations for a British run two star hotel
were not high, half expecting standard chicken and chips fare, how wrong we
were, the food was gorgeous, beautifully presented and would have graced a 5
star hotel.

75 euros PP a night is not the cheapest hotel in Les Gets but the quality of
the food and the staff made it worth every penny, we will certainly be going
back

Ski School - It was my wife's first time skiing, only really going because
of my love for it and to stop me nagging ! she was very nervous about skiing
and horrified at the prospect of spending most of the day falling over. We
booked her some private lessons with Tim Scott, who has lived in Les Gets of
the last 14 years, teaching adults and children for the last 10, he was just
fantastic, his calm laid back attitude, allowed Karen to be far less
nervous, with his help she only had a couple of tumbles and was happily
coming down blues in complete control, given that her first two hour lesson
was in heavy snow fall with no visability, its a mark of just how good Tim
was, and Karen of course !

I also had a couple of hours with Tim, after having no lessons for some 7 or
8 years, and will never discount the value of coaching again - he made a
dramatic difference to my style and confidence, again his calm and clear
instruction made it easy to pick up on what he was telling me. I would
recommend him to anyone and look forward to more instruction next season.

Tim can be contacted at http://www.skischool.co.uk

Ski Hire - we had a bit of a nightmare first day, the hire shop we were
given a discount voucher to - it was called 'Desire' was not good, the
person sorting out the equipment could not really speak any English and the
gear was poor - last or the season before ski's. My wife had to go through 5
sets of boots - all which looked very well used - to find one that would do
up correctly and comfortably around her calf's, almost embarrassed by not
being able to find one that fitted ok, she just accepted the first pair that
would do up - this resulted in a lot of pain and a very uncomfortable first
afternoon on the piste and could of put her off for good.

We decided to just try another shop to see if they had anything more
comfortable, the difference in everything was quite dramatic - firstly the
ski technician spoke good English, when we explained the problem, he
instantly knew the solution, ignoring every pair of boots on the racks bar
one particular model, Salomon Verse, he removed and adjusted clips until he
got the perfect fit, there was no struggling to do up the boot and Karen
said it was like wearing a pair of slippers, each time we walked in he
continued to check that the fit was ok and there were no problems.

The ski's were brand new, neither mine nor Karen's had even seen snow
before, Karen's being specific Rossignol women's ski's rather than a set of
unisex skis from the previous shop, and again the ski tech almost insisted
that she had ski's some 10cm shorter than the other shop as it was her first
time.

The hire shop is Michaud Sports, right in the centre of the resort,
www.michaud-sports-skiset.com

Bars - I have been to Les Gets a few times now and still love the Canadian
Bar to chill in after a day on the piste, great atmosphere, great furry
stools and great music.

Well hope that helps someone

Old January 23rd 04, 11:50 AM
Mike Taylor

Thanks Steve for that
I am off with my 2 teannagers in a weeks time to Les Gets driving down
We are already booked in so hotels dont matter
Ski lessons etc as well as shops help

Mike

Old January 23rd 04, 01:35 PM
steve a

Mike

No problem, glad it is of some use.

You will have a fantastic time, I see they have another dump of snow
forecast this weekend, I am jealous already !

Can't recomend Tim Scott or the Michaud sports for the hire enough.

Been there a few times over the last few years so anything else you want to
know just ask !

Think you should stick me in the boot and take me with you

Steve

"Mike Taylor" wrote in
message ...

Old January 23rd 04, 02:49 PM