Detuning? Waxing?

Old November 26th 05, 02:54 PM

Default Detuning? Waxing?

Newbie questions:

My brand new Burton Canyon '04 (168) came with very sharp edges.
A good friend suggested I get them "detuned".

I got one of those little $7 DaKine stones for detuning and deburring
and lightly dulled the edge a bit, all the way down the board.
It's still pretty sharp.

Should I just quit and take it to a shop before I mess it up?
Should I not worry about it and ride?

Also, does my new board need to be waxed?

--
~~SHRED

Old November 26th 05, 03:13 PM

SHRED wrote:

I got one of those little $7 DaKine stones for detuning and deburring
and lightly dulled the edge a bit, all the way down the board.
It's still pretty sharp.

Should I just quit and take it to a shop before I mess it up?
Should I not worry about it and ride?

Detuning means to slightly dull the edges at the tip and the tail.
Probably you should get a shop to do it if you're not even really sure
about what the procedure is. I hope you didn't really go to town on
your edges, they should be sharp underfoot.

Also, does my new board need to be waxed?

Yes.

Neil
Old November 26th 05, 03:31 PM

SHRED wrote:

Thanks Neil...I will take it to a shop and have the edges and waxing
done. I thought I could do it myself but until I get more familiar I'll
just run it down to the shop.

Yeah, it's not rocket surgery but you do need to know what you're doing
a little bit. Helps if you have an old board to practice on.

The detuning lets the board turn a little easier by making it less
likely to catch an edge or have it hook up hard when you start a turn.
As you get better, you might not want that done.

Dulling the whole edge is sometimes done by guys who like to ride rails
a lot, but it's not very good for general purpose riding.

Neil
Old November 26th 05, 03:42 PM

Neil Gendzwill wrote:
SHRED wrote:

I got one of those little $7 DaKine stones for detuning and deburring
and lightly dulled the edge a bit, all the way down the board.
It's still pretty sharp.

Should I just quit and take it to a shop before I mess it up?
Should I not worry about it and ride?

Detuning means to slightly dull the edges at the tip and the tail.
Probably you should get a shop to do it if you're not even really sure
about what the procedure is. I hope you didn't really go to town on
your edges, they should be sharp underfoot.

No I barely dulled them...lightly.

Old November 26th 05, 09:39 PM

Some very good riders like to detune 1.5" up from nose and tail at 20
degree bevel.
Then go back from running edge n and t about 1", progressively
lowering the bevel.
Just old ski tech, don't round, but bevel instead.

Old November 27th 05, 03:36 AM

Burton boards are detuned at the factory.

Old November 27th 05, 05:13 AM

Don't think so!
They have quadratic curves, slightly straighter at the edges, but the
edges are still sharp and a careless rider can still catch a downhill
edge, thos not as easy as other concentric curved boards.

Old November 29th 05, 05:12 AM

Get your board waxed then ride it...if you are catching edges in the
flats...stop pull out your tool and de tune the tail 3" from the point
of contact with snow back (on both sides) get up and ride some more and
repeat if necessary.

You can tell if it is detuned (dulled) take your fingernail and run
it perpendicular to the length of the edge...when sharp it will shave
off some fingernail (sounds worse in description) when detuned it will
not shave off fingernail. Detuning is only a tweak not a necessity.
Bon Chance!