Where to go with non-skiing toddler?

Old August 1st 05, 08:41 AM
Edi

"Steve Pardoe" wrote in message
news
"David Mahon" wrote in message
In article , Sidheag McCormack
writes

snip
I don't know that any of the resorts have photo-ID now, at least for
visits of less than 10 days. Usually you have an electronic card that
never comes out of your pocket and is read by the lift from 20-30cm
away.

Just to be picky, in the La Clusaz area last season (Feb 2005) you needed

photo-ID on the six-day lift pass, and it was checked at the gates quite
frequently. My advice would be to ask about parents sharing when buying

any
'anonymous' pass, so as to avoid nasty surprises later.

Steve

Valmorel and La Tania in my experience would both fit your bill. We went to
Valmo a couple of years back at Xmas with 4 adults one 8yo, a 3 yo, 2 yo and
a baby so lots of non-skiers. Our friends shared passes and took turns to
ski morning and afternoon. THe village centre is nice to walk through with
the kids in the evening. We were beside the slopes although had quite a few
steps in the block to get to our P&V apartment.

La Tania village centre is small scale and great for families as well, hence
our 4 trips so far.

All the best,

Edi

Old August 1st 05, 08:05 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Edi writes:

Valmorel and La Tania in my experience would both fit your bill. We went
to Valmo a couple of years back at Xmas with 4 adults one 8yo, a 3 yo, 2
yo and a baby so lots of non-skiers. Our friends shared passes and took
turns to ski morning and afternoon. THe village centre is nice to walk
through with the kids in the evening. We were beside the slopes although
had quite a few steps in the block to get to our P&V apartment.

Actually Valmorel was where I did my first week's skiing, and yes, it was
on the shortlist already because of what we remembered.

La Tania village centre is small scale and great for families as well,
hence our 4 trips so far.

Thanks, another one to look into.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old August 3rd 05, 08:02 PM

Another vote for Flaine here!

Although - I went years ago (i was 13 i'm now almost 24) and had a 3
year old with us. We stayed in the closest hotel to the ski school
meeting place and was literally 2 mins walk down some steps. There was
a kids club there an pleanty to - completely family orientated.

Nick-o

______________________
Rock the Piste!
www.rockthepiste.co.uk / www.huckfest.co.uk

Old August 3rd 05, 10:01 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Ace :
You need to be careful, though. In several Swiss resorts (and the
French part of P. de Soleil?) they do take a picture of you which is
stored on the card, even if you can't see it, and is flashed up on a
monitor every time you pass the gate. The only ones I can be sure of
this are Verbier and Meiringen/Hasliburg, but it may also be true in
others.

This year, Jungfrau region did this from 9 days upwards (if I remember
correctly). If less than 9 days, consider there. Wengen is car free, and
easily accessible by train. There are great sledge runs for the kids,
and plenty of places that can easily be visited by train when you don't
want to ski. It's also not too noisy, which I suppose with kids is a good
thing.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old August 5th 05, 12:31 PM
Ace

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:36:37 +0100, Sidheag McCormack
wrote:

Ace writes:

On 3 Aug 2005 23:01:22 +0100, (Adrian D. Shaw) wrote:
This year, Jungfrau region did this from 9 days upwards (if I remember
correctly). If less than 9 days, consider there. Wengen is car free, and
easily accessible by train. There are great sledge runs for the kids,
and plenty of places that can easily be visited by train when you don't
want to ski. It's also not too noisy, which I suppose with kids is a
good thing.

It[1] also has some easily-scopable & accessible off-piste areas that
are very rarely skied. Except when I'm there, of course :-)

[1] Well, I'm thinking more of the Grindelwald side, above Mannlichen
and up at the EigerGletscher, for example, but it's all just a single
lift/train away from Wengen village.

Hmm, I've never been to that area at all - thanks, something to consider. I
like the idea of being able to do train trips.

There's a cog railway that runs all the way round from Wengen to
Grindelwald (about once every 25 minutes through the main part of the
day), stopping at a car park at the bottom and thence up to the
village and/or down to Interlaken. On the Wengen side it also connects
with Interlaken, via Lauterbrunnen whence you can link in to the
Murren cable cars. The Mannlichen area is also directly linked from
both Wengen and Grindelwald sides via cable car.

If you're planning to arrive by rail, you can normally buy the lift
pass together with the rail ticket, which apparently saves quite a bit
too.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain -

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 06:43 PM