Sumer in Tignes

Old June 29th 05, 10:16 PM
Snorer

Default Sumer in Tignes

I am considering a day at Tignes skiing in August . My intention is to stay
overnight in La Thuille and drive (1 hr I believe) to Tignes and ski before
leaving for my next overnight elsewhere. What time does the ski day start?
How long does it last. Is it too slushy by 2.00pm. I see the half day pass
starts at 10.30 is this because the day is over by 2.00.
Any other information or advice would be helpful.

Many thanks
Snorer

Old June 29th 05, 11:01 PM
Joe Hunt

"Snorer" wrote in message
I am considering a day at Tignes skiing in August . My intention is to stay
overnight in La Thuille and drive (1 hr I believe) to Tignes and ski
before
leaving for my next overnight elsewhere. What time does the ski day start?
How long does it last. Is it too slushy by 2.00pm. I see the half day pass
starts at 10.30 is this because the day is over by 2.00.
Any other information or advice would be helpful.

Many thanks
Snorer

Go to their website for webcams - www.tignes.net

Their typical summer day starts with blazing blue sky followed by rapid
build up of cumulus and then cumulonimbus which drenches the whole resort
come 3-4pm. The freezing level is around 12,000ft so none of it dumps as
snow, maybe after prolonged rainfall, on the glacier.

Best time to ski is first thing in the morning after a slight freeze but
this quickly moistens come midday. Remember your suncream as UV levels are
ridiculously high.

Why not stay in Tignes itself ?

Joe

Old July 18th 05, 09:37 PM
Fiona Reid

We were out in Tignes from 25th June - 9th July and went out 3 mornings.
First day was great (27th June), good conditions until about 11am after
which it got rather slushy (rivers running down some pistes). Second day
(2nd July) was a bit colder, 5cm fresh snow but an hour delay for the lifts
to open. Generally good conditions and took a bit longer for things to get
too slushy (12pm). The last day (7th July) was colder still, even longer
delay
for the lifts to open. More fresh snow but sadly the wind had whipped most
of it from the hill making the pistes into sheet ice which could easily have
competed with Scotland on a bad day. At the top of the cable car visibility
varied between ok and zero.

The lifts open at 7:15am and close at 1pm. If the weather is warm then
you'll
probably want to quit by 11am as it will get too slushy. I wouldn't advise a
half
day ticket unless it's very cold. The crush for the first funicular is
unpleasant.
Lots of children with minimal manners pushing onto the train, sharpen your
elbows
beforehand. The pistes themselves aren't too busy. Most of the kids
disappear to
their own training areas. We stuck mostly to the red runs from the top of
the cable
car and the black run (not normally open in summer). The chair lift for the
black
run usually closed by 10am due to the river running down the hill and
terrified
skiers getting stuck on the ice/water. There's a piste map at:
http://www.tignes.net/ete.php?&_lang...3 e79fb577957

Depending on your driving I'd say La Thuille is less than 1hr from Tignes.
We drove
from to Tignes to Bourg Saint Maurice several times and I don't think it was
more
than 40 mins. Unless you really like getting up early I'd suggest staying in
Tignes.
Tignes is pretty quiet in the summer so I can't imagine the prices being
that much
more. If you stay in Val Claret you can probably walk to the funicular,
otherwise
there's a free bus from Tignes Le Lac/ Lavachet which leaves the main bus st
op at
7:05am. This avoids getting your car soaked with wet kit.

Cheers,

Fiona

Old July 18th 05, 10:39 PM
Joe Hunt

"Fiona Reid" wrote in message
. uk...
beforehand. The pistes themselves aren't too busy. Most of the kids
disappear to
their own training areas. We stuck mostly to the red runs from the top of
the cable
car and the black run (not normally open in summer). The chair lift for
the
black
run usually closed by 10am due to the river running down the hill and
terrified
skiers getting stuck on the ice/water. There's a piste map at:
http://www.tignes.net/ete.php?&_lang...3 e79fb577957

Did you take any photos ? I'd be very interested in seeing them if so.

Joe

Old July 19th 05, 10:04 PM
Fiona Reid

Did you take any photos ? I'd be very interested in seeing them if so.

Sure, there are a few photos under the Tignes entry at www.prog99.com
The majority are mountains etc. as ski resorts aren't desperately
photogenenic!

Cheers,

Fiona

Old July 20th 05, 06:32 AM
davidof

Joe Hunt wrote:
Did you take any photos ? I'd be very interested in seeing them if so.

Joe

there are some recent photos here too:

http://www.skipass.com/forums/enmontagne/stations_ski_france/sujet-51697.html

looks awful
Old July 20th 05, 07:51 AM
Lei

"Joe Hunt"
wrote in message ...

Did you take any photos ? I'd be very interested in seeing them if so.

If you can access Croatian news groups, there are some recent photos from
Grande Motte in a news group hr.rec.sport.zimski.binaries

Regards,

Lei
--
Skijanje.hr