Royal Gorge perimeter - route details

Old March 5th 04, 03:41 AM
Ken Roberts

Default Royal Gorge perimeter - route details

Building on Bob and Mark's earlier posts, below is the route I took for my
Royal Gorge Perimeter tour -- as best as I can remember. I'm just a
short-time visitor: hopefully the local experts will supply corrections to
my route.

Which way around? I was glad I did the tough climbs of Devil's Peak first
while I was still fresh. So I would do it counter-clockwise again next
time, and that's how Mark described it.
______________
Abbreviations:

HC = At least as tough a hill (steep and/or long, up or down) as I've ever
encounted on any other groomed-track cross country ski center. Probably
tougher.

flat = flat with possible headwind

(no hill notation) = hilly
______________
Route:

Start: Summit Station (main lodge and parking)
Mirkwood
Mirkwood Outlook
Rooster Comb / Mirkwood
(Food: Wilderness Cafe)
R2D2
(? Bon Appetite ?)

Kidd Lake
Satellite
Wagon Train
The Wall / Horseshoe (HC)
Devil's Peak spur, up and back (HC)
Horseshoe / The Wall (HC)
Klondike Lil's
Wagon Train
Wiesel
(official route goes directly to Stage Coach)
Deborah's Delight
Kidd Lake
Food: Wilderness Cafe

Deer Lake (gentle)
Stage Coach
Snow Mountain
East Ridge / Bear Pass
Point Mariah (out and back)
Drink: I melted snow at the Whitney / Point Mariah warming shelter

Whitney Bowl
Sterling's Canyon (later section is HC)
Lola's Lookout (HC)
Razorback
Crow Nest
Bogus Basin
Nosedive / the Ledge / Ana's Chute (HC)
Sugar Bowl Interconnect (to under the ski lifts)
(? or skip visiting the Sugar Bowl Lodge ?)
Food: Sugar Bowl Lodge + Alpine Ski Resort

Sugar Bowl Interconnect
Little Disney
International (starts down hill, then flat)
(? perhaps I drifted onto Fleet Street ?)
Sleeping Beauty (flat)
Salter's Lane (flat)
(Van Norden parking)
Sleeping Beauty (flat-to-gentle)
Telegraph (not sure this was groomed?)
Summit Connection
(stop partway to take skis off to cross road)
I also skied Thor's and Swan Dive (HC),
(? but probably this is overdoing it ?)
Finish: Summit Station (main lodge and parking)
Warning -- Some of the hills on this tour are very very steep going down.
Some require expert downhill skiing skills even in good snow conditions. It
wouldn't surprise if they could get dangerous in bad conditions or for
someone with anything less than expert skills and judgment.

Ken