Flaine - recommended hotel/boot fitter?

Old January 3rd 06, 10:41 AM

Default Flaine - recommended hotel/boot fitter?

Morning all,

I have some flights to Geneva sorted with the missus for the end of Jan.

I'm keen to try skiing in Flaine, having never visited it.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel and boot fitter?

I'm also considering staying at Les Carroz, can I get up into the "good"
skiing quickly from there, or would I be better off staying in Flaine?

Lastly I seem to remember the off piste being dangerous in Flaine due to
the holes in the rock, is it a big no no going off piste without a guide?

Regards,

Greg
Old January 3rd 06, 11:22 AM

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 05:41:37 -0600, Greg Hilton wrote:

Morning all,

I have some flights to Geneva sorted with the missus for the end of Jan.

I'm keen to try skiing in Flaine, having never visited it.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel

There are three 'club' hotels in Flaine, which are aimed very much at
French families, with half-board being the norm and entertainment etc.
included. Of these, the Aujon is the only one that operates anything
like a 'normal' hotel. It's acceptable, but I'd recommend you taking a
B&B option rather than half board. The food's not bad as such but many
British guests aren't keen on it and the way it's served
(buffet-style, sometimes with two distinct sittings).

I've heard good things about a small 'chalet' called the cascades, but
have never actually stayed there. It's slightly removed from the main
village and across a piste, but quiet and cheerful, with good food.

and boot fitter?

Flaine Super Ski, closest shop to the pistes on the 'forum' level.

I'm also considering staying at Les Carroz, can I get up into the "good"
skiing quickly from there, or would I be better off staying in Flaine?

Access is easy enough, although the main lift out of carroz is a bit
of a hike from the village centre. Personally I'd drive up from there
to the free parking at either les Molliets or Vernant, about 7-8
minutes from Carroz on the Flaine road. Of course, this depends on you
having a car...

Also consider Morrillon or Samoens, all of which now give very quick
access to the main ski areas.

Lastly I seem to remember the off piste being dangerous in Flaine due to
the holes in the rock, is it a big no no going off piste without a guide?

Not really. There's really just one 'dangerous' area, around the
Lapiaz lift. Sure, there are lots of holes, but they're not exactly
difficult to spot. Anyway, the off-piste there is OK, but not a patch
on what's available elsewhere in the area, so I wouldn't worry about
it.

"Safe"[1] off-piste areas I would recommend include the area between
the Aujon and Grans Grenier drags, plus of course the Gers bowl, my
absolute favourite area anywhere.

[1] Not completely safe, of course, but if you're looking for
off-piste stuff you should know this.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 3rd 06, 07:25 PM

There are three 'club' hotels in Flaine, which are aimed very much at
French families, with half-board being the norm and entertainment etc.
included. Of these, the Aujon is the only one that operates anything
like a 'normal' hotel. It's acceptable, but I'd recommend you taking a
B&B option rather than half board.

Cheers Bruce,somehow I guessed you'd reply!

Have you head any reports of this hotel in Les Carroz?

http://www.hotel-boisdelachar.com/

I'm probably going to stay near Geneva the Sat night,then drive to the area
and ski Sunday before checking into the hotel, where is the quickest place
in that area to get to and ski from Geneva?

regards,

Greg
Old January 3rd 06, 09:39 PM

In message , Ace
writes
There are three 'club' hotels in Flaine, which are aimed very much at
French families, with half-board being the norm and entertainment etc.
included. Of these, the Aujon is the only one that operates anything
like a 'normal' hotel. It's acceptable, but I'd recommend you taking a
B&B option rather than half board. The food's not bad as such but many
British guests aren't keen on it and the way it's served (buffet-style,
sometimes with two distinct sittings).

I staye dthere and liked it but then I'm easily pleased. The skiing is
the main thing. I do remember that the food was too french for some,
frogs legs and snails were served in the fortnight I was there.

I've heard good things about a small 'chalet' called the cascades, but
have never actually stayed there. It's slightly removed from the main
village and across a piste, but quiet and cheerful, with good food.

Used to be a good party venue. We used to body slam from the first floor
balcony into the crowd below and then take a crash mat "taxi sledge"
down the piste to the night club.
--
Pete Devlin
"And don’t forget my dog, fixed and consequent"
Old January 4th 06, 07:22 AM

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:25:41 -0600, Greg Hilton wrote:

Have you head any reports of this hotel in Les Carroz?

http://www.hotel-boisdelachar.com/

Nope, but looking at its location it's not one you'd spot from the
road. Ski in-ski-out is not the norm in Carroz, so I guess you're
paying a premium for it, but then as I mentioned the lifts are quite a
walk from the village proper, so it' probably justified.

I'm probably going to stay near Geneva the Sat night,then drive to the area
and ski Sunday before checking into the hotel, where is the quickest place
in that area to get to and ski from Geneva?

That'd be Les Carroz. Well it's (just) closer to drive to Morillon
than to Les C. but then it's quite a drive (40 mins) later to get
between the two. You're probably just as well off going to the hotel
first thing, assuming there's parking available. The two start-points
I mentioned are further up the road towards Flaine, so not much point
in that.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 4th 06, 07:40 AM

If you are not looking for mad night life choose Les Carroz. Traditional
village rather than Flaine ugly concrete. Links to the whole massif and you
can reach the Flaine area in about 40 mins. 2 small hotels. The Belle Piste
and Les Arielles very close to a small drag that takes you above the
gondola. Ski back to it and your away.

Snorer

Old January 4th 06, 08:49 AM

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:22:27 +0100, Ace wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 05:41:37 -0600, Greg Hilton wrote:

Morning all,

I have some flights to Geneva sorted with the missus for the end of Jan.

I'm keen to try skiing in Flaine, having never visited it.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel

There is a Brit owned hotel in Vercland, in the Samoens skiing area. A
gondola next door takes you right up to the skiing. The red run down,
Verlage, I think, is massively fun. Had a drink in the bar but don't
know anything about cost, I'm afraid.

Maris