Les Arcs/La Plagne

Old October 13th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Default Les Arcs/La Plagne

French_Skier wrote:
Les Arcs has more challenging slopes in my view and is generally better
than La Plagne. you can ski both via the Paradiski Vanoise Express.
1800 is best or 1950 but latter is pretty expensive. The Where to Ski
guide is worth reading for more info.
I know that www.skicollection.co.uk have got some of the best deals for
4-star self-catering in Les Arcs.

Hmmm... how do we all feel about French Skier's telling us about
skicollection and peakretreats in various recent posts? He adds some
potentially useful information, but I'm guessing that he's the same
Xavier that's actually the MD of these companies, and doesn't exactly
declare his interests. Maybe I have it all wrong, in which case I
apologise, but does anyone else think it's a bit spammy?

Matt

Old October 14th 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine

On 13 Oct 2006 16:30:09 -0700, "Matt T"
squeezed out the following:

French_Skier wrote:
Les Arcs has more challenging slopes in my view and is generally better
than La Plagne. you can ski both via the Paradiski Vanoise Express.
1800 is best or 1950 but latter is pretty expensive. The Where to Ski
guide is worth reading for more info.
I know that www.skicollection.co.uk have got some of the best deals for
4-star self-catering in Les Arcs.

Hmmm... how do we all feel about French Skier's telling us about
skicollection and peakretreats in various recent posts? He adds some
potentially useful information, but I'm guessing that he's the same
Xavier that's actually the MD of these companies, and doesn't exactly
declare his interests. Maybe I have it all wrong, in which case I
apologise, but does anyone else think it's a bit spammy?

Whether or not he's the same person, all his posts refer to one or
other of the companies. Personally I'm happy to see a link in a sig,
but that's it. I hate subterfuge.

--
Colin Irvine
Old October 14th 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Adrian Tupper

Colin Irvine wrote in
:

French_Skier wrote:
[...]

many people advise taking any recommendations on usenet with a pinch of
salt. If there is some kind of consensus that's one thing but a rec
from one person is always going to be variable. Unless you know (of)
that person of course.

--
Adrian

Remove packaging and take out insurance before emailing me
Old October 14th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
sjt

Rob White wrote:
We've been to La Plagne a couple of times and feel that it is not demanding
enough and the runs lack variety, and decided not to go there again.
However, We've been asked to join group in Les Arcs next winter - how does
it compare?

Rob

I have skied both resorts, for a number of weeks and agree with the
comments on here that Les Arcs has more variety and more challenge.
With the exception of La Plagne's Bellecote North Face (if you're ard
enough!), Les Arcs has more accessible off-piste, and bigger variety on
piste.
BTW I don't have a business to pimp, and pay for my holidays wherever I
ski.

Old October 14th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Alun Evans

On Sat 14 Oct '06 at 12:39 "sjt" wrote:

I have skied both resorts, for a number of weeks and agree with the
comments on here that Les Arcs has more variety and more challenge.
With the exception of La Plagne's Bellecote North Face (if you're ard
enough!), Les Arcs has more accessible off-piste, and bigger variety on
piste.

Any guide recommendations ?

My friends have booked an apartment in 1950 in Feb, but it'd be a shame to
spend all week with them on the runs...

A.
Old October 15th 06, 11:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
sjt

Alun Evans wrote:
On Sat 14 Oct '06 at 12:39 "sjt" wrote:

I have skied both resorts, for a number of weeks and agree with the
comments on here that Les Arcs has more variety and more challenge.
With the exception of La Plagne's Bellecote North Face (if you're ard
enough!), Les Arcs has more accessible off-piste, and bigger variety on
piste.

Any guide recommendations ?

My friends have booked an apartment in 1950 in Feb, but it'd be a shame to
spend all week with them on the runs...

A.

Much of the stuff I skied was well within the resort boundaries, which
I skied with local residents, who have day jobs. I'm sorry, I don't
personally know any local guides, though it may be worth enquiring at
Arc Aventures (sp?), when you arrive. If you plan to do the popular
Lanchettes route, it will be worthwhile your seeking local guidance, as
there have been avalanches in the area in recent seasons.

Old October 15th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"Alun Evans" wrote in message

| On Sat 14 Oct '06 at 12:39 "sjt" wrote:
|
| I have skied both resorts, for a number of weeks and agree with the
| comments on here that Les Arcs has more variety and more challenge.
| With the exception of La Plagne's Bellecote North Face (if you're
ard
| enough!), Les Arcs has more accessible off-piste, and bigger variety
on
| piste.
|
| Any guide recommendations ?
|
| My friends have booked an apartment in 1950 in Feb, but it'd be a
shame to
| spend all week with them on the runs...

Couple of recommendations - Philippe Deslandes (who does nothing but off
piste all winter), or Benjamin Gaillard - both can be contacted via Arc
Aventures at Arc 1800, both speak good English.

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

Old October 15th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"sjt" wrote in message
ups.com...

| Alun Evans wrote:
| On Sat 14 Oct '06 at 12:39 "sjt" wrote:
|
| I have skied both resorts, for a number of weeks and agree with
the
| comments on here that Les Arcs has more variety and more
challenge.
| With the exception of La Plagne's Bellecote North Face (if you're
ard
| enough!), Les Arcs has more accessible off-piste, and bigger
variety on
| piste.
|
| Any guide recommendations ?
|
| My friends have booked an apartment in 1950 in Feb, but it'd be a
shame to
| spend all week with them on the runs...
|
| Much of the stuff I skied was well within the resort boundaries, which
| I skied with local residents, who have day jobs. I'm sorry, I don't
| personally know any local guides, though it may be worth enquiring at
| Arc Aventures (sp?), when you arrive. If you plan to do the popular
| Lanchettes route, it will be worthwhile your seeking local guidance,
as
| there have been avalanches in the area in recent seasons.

Although the route is vulnerable to avalanche, I suspect the number of
incidents stems from its easy accessibility from the side of the
Aiguille Rouge run as much as anything. Watched a group heading across
to it last season on a level '3' risk day, which is fair enough except a
couple of the girls couldn't even duck walk up the slight slope from the
Aiguille Rouge piste - both fell over trying. Speechless, I woz.

At http://www.mysnowsports.com/News/article/sid=403.html I did a report
on last year's January avalanche. On the day in question I spoke to
James Blanc, the Arc Aventures director, and he said it was the last
place he would have been skiing given the recent heavy snowfall followed
by rapidly rising temperatures.
(I would certainly recommend Arc Av, by the way... no commercial ties,
but he is a friend).

Anyone heading to Paradiski intending to mainly ski off piste - there's
a great book by high mountain guide Didier Givois, called "The Keys To
Paradise". It explains that the Lanchettes is not a particularly
hazardous descent, when conditions are right, in terms of difficulty -
ie a fall would not be too dangerous as the slopes are relatively
'gentle'. However on Didier's avalanche risk scale of 1 to 4, it scores
the full 4 for its upper section. It is "located almost entirely on a
route with regular avalanches. It includes ... couloirs that channel
avalanches coming from slopes that can remain dangerous for a long
time." The 'Lanchettes' "is a classic route that sometimes looks like a
mogul run! After a heavy fall it must be looked on with a suspicious
eye: all of the upper slopes are laden with snow that accumulates under
the wind. "Lanche" and "Lanchettes" in local patois means avalanche!"

Pete

Old October 16th 06, 09:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss

Couple of recommendations - Philippe Deslandes (who does nothing but off
piste all winter), or Benjamin Gaillard - both can be contacted via Arc
Aventures at Arc 1800, both speak good English.

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com

If in Arc1950 try also Vincent Ramière of Spirit 1950 - this guy knows his
stuff, has a sense of humour and speaks English. In addition to the ski
school, they do guided hors-piste days, including heli-skiing. Spent some
time with him last season.

Time he updated his website though...

RM

Old October 16th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ollie Clark

Rob White wrote:
We've been to La Plagne a couple of times and feel that it is not demanding
enough and the runs lack variety, and decided not to go there again.
However, We've been asked to join group in Les Arcs next winter - how does
it compare?

I'm upper intermediate/advanced. I went there 4(ish) years ago and found
plenty to keep me going. I get bored if I have to ski on easy reds or blues
for much of the time so it'll probably be OK for you. I've never been to
La Plagne though so I can't offer a comparison.