vacation spots

Old January 23rd 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default vacation spots

My boyfriend and I started snowboarding 2 years ago and after hitting
all of the small hills in MI and WI, we are ready to head out west.
Any suggestions, even if you know of a website where we can search for
a deal? We are still beginners, hanging out on blue hills for the
most part, and we want to spend as little money as possible for a
convenient place to stay (preferably at the hill so we don't have to
drive there everyday). Oh and a good night life would be fun! Let me
know a package deal of some-sort would be nice, we want to go early to
mid March. Thanks for your help!
Old January 24th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Walt

wrote:

My boyfriend and I started snowboarding 2 years ago and after hitting
all of the small hills in MI and WI,

All of them? Snowsnake? Trollhagen? Mt McSauba? Pando? Al Quaal?

we are ready to head out west.

Good for you.

Any suggestions, even if you know of a website where we can search for
a deal?

www.skitown.com
www.goski.com
www.onthesnow.com
www.skican.com

Salt Lake City is probably the most cost effective & convienent place to
fly to if you don't mind staying in town and driving 30 to 60 minutes to
the hill. The Tahoe area is next.

We are still beginners, hanging out on blue hills for the
most part,

Be aware that most of the midwestern blues would rate green out west.
Many midwestern blacks would rate green as well. It's steeper in the
real mountains.

and we want to spend as little money as possible for a
convenient place to stay (preferably at the hill so we don't have to
drive there everyday).

Expect to pay premium price for any lodging close to the lifts.

we want to go early to mid March.

Late March or early April will beget better lodging deals, and they'll
still be plenty of snow with fewer people on it. If you don't mind a
little slush in the afternoon, that's the way to go.

//Walt
Old January 24th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Jan 23, 4:14*pm, "
wrote:
My boyfriend and I started snowboarding 2 years ago and after hitting
all of the small hills in MI and WI, we are ready to head out west.
Any suggestions, even if you know of a website where we can search for
a deal? *We are still beginners, hanging out on blue hills for the
most part, and we want to spend as little money as possible for a
convenient place to stay (preferably at the hill so we don't have to
drive there everyday). Oh and a good night life would be fun! *Let me
know a package deal of some-sort would be nice, we want to go early to
mid March. *Thanks for your help!

It's very difficult to simultaneously maximize all your goals:
*cheap
*close
*lively
*early March

I assume the budgetary objective is the least flexible, so start from
there and then figure out the other priorities so you can determine
how much compromising will be required -- going later in the year,
going to a less apres-oriented resort, or staying farther away from
the action.

Joe Ramirez
Old January 29th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Jan 24, 5:30*pm, wrote:
On Jan 23, 4:14*pm, "
wrote:

[...]

I'd suggest the Summit County area of Colorado, which are towns like
Frisco, Lake Dillon area. You can get a hotel there for around $125
or less and from there it's an easy drive to 3 of the top rated places
in the world: Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Vail. You also have A
Basin, Keystone and Loveland. You can hit some of the best and by
not staying slopeside, it won't kill you. There is a good bus system
that you can use, but from a practical standpoint, you're most likely
going to want a car. It's about hour and 15 mins from Denver,
assuming it;'s not rush hour.

Breckenridge has a decent nightlife. I'm sure you can find a lot of
info online. Check out the resort websites and see if there are any
snowboarding competitions, etc that you might want to be there to see.
Old February 20th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
JEK

On Jan 23, 4:14 pm, "
wrote:
My boyfriend and I started snowboarding 2 years ago and after hitting
all of the small hills in MI and WI, we are ready to head out west.
Any suggestions, even if you know of a website where we can search for
a deal? We are still beginners, hanging out on blue hills for the
most part, and we want to spend as little money as possible for a
convenient place to stay (preferably at the hill so we don't have to
drive there everyday). Oh and a good night life would be fun! Let me
know a package deal of some-sort would be nice, we want to go early to
mid March. Thanks for your help!

Brighton (in Utah) has a very attractive offer for slopeside
accommodations. Haven't stayed there so I can't attest to the quality
of the lodge but for $755 you get 4 nights for two and 4 lift tickets
for each. That's pretty good deal cost-wise. Brighton is more of a
locals spot than a big resort (ala Park City/Canyons/Snowbird) but
it's still pretty big dwarfing most stuff in the East. Neverless, you
won't get the apres ski of a real ski village. Of course the on slope
experience is what matters and it is unquestionably excellent terrain
for intermediate snowboarders. In fact, Brighton might be one of the
better choices in the area for wide groomers regardless of price. And
of course, it's the same great snow. For night life (Utah style that
is), you can just head into the city.
Old February 25th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

hey now,

Brighton is a good choice but you may also be able to find
some reasonable accomodations in Kimball Jct. and then go
to the Canyons. The Holiday Inn had some decent prices when
I was last there (2 years ago) and I have also found some
good deals at Powderwood condos. Canyons of course will run
more than Brighton (probably about 35 more) but it is huge
and you'll have the 'advantage' of being able to go into
Park City at night. I know both Holiday Inn and Powderwood
have shuttle connections to all 3 resorts in the Park City
area, I do not know the status of the shuttle after dark as
we had a car.

One advantage of Brighton is if you are there when an
avalanche closes the road in - you get the place to yourself
assuming they have the mountain in safe shape too.

Mike

ps - you might also consider going to Big Sky - they have
a lot of very long/wide blues but don't expect much in the
way of night life. Great mountain though!

Another place to look at is Alpine Meadows, Squaw and
Homewood (very cheap) in north Lake Tahoe. Flights are
generally pretty cheap into Sacramento and there is a
place called Granlibakken (sp?) I've stayed at for ok
price and a tremendous breakfast spread (I mean hot
kitchen prepared food for buffet).