RSN Worldloppet Masters

Old February 2nd 04, 12:47 AM
Bruce Mardiney

Default RSN Worldloppet Masters

Gary Jacobson has become a Worldloppet Master having traveled from
Rosendale NY to complete back-to-back 50K marathons in Oberammergau,
Germany, skating Saturday, classic Sunday. That's races # 10 and 11
for Gary on the International Worldloppet circuit. We'll expect a full
report when he gets back next week.

König Ludwig Lauf - race summary
http://www.worldloppet.com/news.php?id=500

Are there other Worldloppet Masters participating in this news group?

Bruce Mardiney

Rosendale, New York
Old February 2nd 04, 09:48 AM
FrontRunner

The FrontRunner and Nordic Norm (Greg Worsnop & John O'Connell) we both
reached ten at the 2000 Vasaloppet.
True to the name I got there first.

The FrontRunner

Currently nursing a bruised or cracked rib, Any advice out there for
treatment?

Old February 2nd 04, 12:07 PM

I did the original 10 over several years back in the 80's, but only the
Oppetspar, not the actual Vasaloppet, in Sweden.

Best, Peter

Old February 2nd 04, 01:42 PM
John O'Connell

I think Jay Tegeder has 8 races in and plans and getting there soon.
The Frontrunner and I are now on our second tour through the
Wordloppet circuit, he is going for Gold Master 2X while I, as a
concession to age and general lack of speed have decided to try to get
the Silver designation by doing 10 of the half marathons that are
offered at all the races except for the Engadin. This year we will be
going back to the Vasaloppet and I will do the 45K on Tuesday and then
have the rest of the week to ski to my hearts content....and then be
super logistics guy on race day.

Funny story. When we were in Germany for the Oberammergau in 1977 the
headquarters for the Worldloppet was located there. While we were in
there trying to scrounge some posters we ran into a guy from
Cleveland, Ohio USA who had just completed his 10th race and was
paying to get his diploma framed. he was, as can be expected, pretty
pumped up over his accomplishment and gussed that it only cost him $20
to get the diploma. His wife was standing next to him and she looked
at me and said, with that look of resignation many of our spouses
carry when they hear us go on and on about our sport, " actually it
was more like $20,000.

John O'Connell

Old February 2nd 04, 02:49 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

FrontRunner wrote:

Currently nursing a bruised or cracked rib, Any advice out there for
treatment?

1)Do a google search on the terms for latest knowledge and treatment
advice.

2)Sports Injury Handbook (Levy & Fuerst, 1993) says that treatment for
both is to rest and for bruise, apply ice several times a day until pain
is gone. Pain is similar, but more severe for fracture. Expect 4 to 6
weeks for a fracture to recover. For a bruise, activity can be continued
if you use a rib pad to protect the ribs. Like a flak jacket, it wraps
around the rib cage and several types are available from sporting goods
stores.

The Complete Guide to Sports Injuries (Griffith, 1997) says that for a
fracture, apply a wide elastic wrap or chest binder (rib belt? see
below) to decrease movement and reduce pain with breathing. Binder
should be applied around the lower chest beneath the breats, even if the
rib fracture is in the upper chest. For a fracture, be aware of
possible complications either already or as a result of excessive strain
or another blow (lung rupture, pneumonia, or injury to the liver or
spleen from jagged edges of 11th/12th ribs). X-rays may or may not show
fracture right off, but a follow-up comparison at 4 or more days later
does. Handbook says that for a break an x-ray must show rib healed
before return to activity.

Also consider the possibility of separated rib or pulled rib muscle.
For the former, severe pain is usually toward the front of rib cage, and
breathing hurts. Particularly painful to go from lying to sitting
position (e.g., getting out of bed). Use rib belt (8" wide strap of
elastic) until it heals. Pulled rib muscle is tenderness between the
ribs, not on them. Use ice and rib belt until free movement returns.

These are summaries of what's in a couple of books. I have no specific
knowledge from training or experience.

Gene
Old February 2nd 04, 05:41 PM
Bob

Boiling all that great detail from Gene down to my experience:
Minimum 2 weeks of nothing more strenuous than walking.
After that, let pain be your guide. If the pain is gone, then you just had a
bruise and you're good to go.
Still hurt? sit out *all* training (same as the first 2 weeks) for as long
as it takes. The rib pad (flack jacket) is good if you are a construction
worker or a quarterback (or you have some other situation where a blow or
pressure to the effected area could occur). The rib belt is more for pain
control than anything else. If it helps, then use it.

Bob
bruised ribs this fall - healed quickly due to naturally dominant sloth-like
tendencies.

Old February 2nd 04, 09:07 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Bruce Mardiney wrote in message . ..
Gary Jacobson has become a Worldloppet
Master having traveled from
Rosendale NY to complete back-to-back 50K
marathons in Oberammergau,
Germany, skating Saturday, classic Sunday.

Cool. I saw Gary going round and round and round on Canopus Lake a few
weeks ago at Fahnestock Winter Park -- he's dedicated.

Gary, the lake was amazing yesterday. Though maybe not as nice as
Austria...

JFT
Old February 2nd 04, 11:18 PM
FrontRunner

Thanks for the input. X-rays were negative. Prescribe 800 Motrin's three
times per day. Explain to the doc about the Birkie and planned trip to the
Vasaloppet in Sweden. Told her that I would do the Birkie regardless. She
asked me if I was a professional (only in terms of spending). We will see
how the next couple of weeks go.

The FrontRunner

Old February 4th 04, 04:43 PM
John O'Connell

Default Train to Mora....questions ??

I'm sorry for tagging this onto an existing thread but for some reason
I cannot initiate only respond to others post.

I'm hoping I can get some advice on my upcoming trip to Sweden. I will
be arriving at the Stockholm airport on Monday March 1 at 10:00am. I'm
planning on taking a train to Mora as I'm registered to ski in the
Half Vasa on Tuesday. I live in a a part of the USA where mass transit
means we all jump in our cars by ourselves and mass into a traffic jam
on the highways so I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to this sort
of thing. A couple of questions:

Where would I be able to find the train to Mora ?
How can I find out about departure and arrival times for the same ?
Do I need to get a ticket ahead of time (It is Vasaloppet week) ?

Any advice, directions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

John O'Connell
e-mail if you prefer to respond directly

Old February 4th 04, 05:22 PM
Janne G

John O'Connell wrote:

I'm sorry for tagging this onto an existing thread but for some reason
I cannot initiate only respond to others post.

I'm hoping I can get some advice on my upcoming trip to Sweden. I will
be arriving at the Stockholm airport on Monday March 1 at 10:00am. I'm
planning on taking a train to Mora as I'm registered to ski in the
Half Vasa on Tuesday. I live in a a part of the USA where mass transit
means we all jump in our cars by ourselves and mass into a traffic jam
on the highways so I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to this sort
of thing. A couple of questions:

Where would I be able to find the train to Mora ?
How can I find out about departure and arrival times for the same ?
Do I need to get a ticket ahead of time (It is Vasaloppet week) ?

If you take the "flygbussen" (the bus to the town) from "Arlanda"(the airport)
into Stockholm you actually arrive at the central station. Talk to the busdriver.
Just walk over the street and there you are.

I don't know about the ticket though, maybe, it's Vasaloppet time as you say.