Scratch one snowboarder

Old December 29th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
NormG

Default Scratch one snowboarder

"pigo" wrote in message
On Dec 29, 3:40 am, Evojeesus wrote:
On Dec 29, 1:17 am, The Real Bev wrote:
Helmets are mandatory on racing tracks for great reasons.

And on race courses on skis too. But for free skiing? Not for 99.99%.
It's just part of dressing the part you want to play.

============

I don't play any part. I do ski where branches can contact my head. I wear
goggles to help keep same and wind out of my eyes and a helmet to help me
bounce off branches rather than be impaled by them. It won't prevent every
possible injury, only staying at home will do that and i find the
cost/benefit ratio of staying home too high. The helmet, however, is a cheap
method of reducing my exposure. It cost a pittance and takes no more upkeep
during the day than any other headgear. I have scratches on helmets which
would not have looked good on my scalp. I think I represent a little more
than .01% of people on the hill. Not much more, maybe, but a little...

Old December 29th 10, 05:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Evojeesus wrote:
On Dec 29, 4:10 pm, pigo wrote:

It's marketing and a fad. As well as part of the nanny generation.
Take part in that if you wish.

I definitely wish to partake. Don't you ski narrow or bendy couloirs?
How about while rappeling, wish to catch a falling block of ice with
your beanie?

You would be surprised at the number of driver that will try to reuse a
damaged helmet, one good ding it is junk. Or a out of date helmet by
then you can wiggle the helmet on the head and it helps convince them it
is time to replace.
I tech car for the sports car club a few times a year, caught a car with
missing weld on top of roll cage in a sedan, actually it was missing
four one at each corner. So we rejected the car, his argument was it had
been racing in the series for 4 years and you catch it now.
But if he rolled and died in it his estate would sue us for not catching it.
Old December 29th 10, 05:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 29, 10:54*am, "NormG" wrote:

Youi guys go ahead and ski the groomed and runs and puff up your
chests like it makes you "extreme skiers". I'll go ski, trees, rocks,
cornices and chutes without one and we'll have a beer afterwards. OK?
Old December 29th 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Dec 29, 9:50*am, Evojeesus wrote:
On Dec 29, 4:10*pm, pigo wrote:

It's marketing and a fad. As well as part of the nanny generation.
Take part in that if you wish.

I definitely wish to partake. Don't you ski narrow or bendy couloirs?
How about while rappeling, wish to catch a falling block of ice with
your beanie?

He already has caught a block of ice with his head. Can't you tell
from what he writes? According to medical experts, being a teabagger
is conclusive proof of too many concussions, or alcoholic dementia, or
just being a complete asshole.
Personally, been wearing a helmet for twelve years or so. I was
convinced at Whistler. Of all things, caught an edge on the cat track
leading to Harmony, did a 180, and landed on the back of my head.
Only time I have ever been in a sled, minor concussion.
Bought a helmet the next day. Because unlike Brain Fried Bob, my
brain actually functions.
Old December 29th 10, 06:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Dec 29, 10:23*am, pigo wrote:
On Dec 29, 10:54*am, "NormG" wrote:

Youi guys go ahead and ski the groomed and runs and puff up your
chests like it makes you "extreme skiers". I'll go ski, trees, rocks,
cornices and chutes without one and we'll have a beer afterwards. OK?

As I was saying about Brain Fried Bob and his delusions of gradeur?
Tell you what, pppppuuuuuussssssyyyyyy.
I will ski the groomers at the Canyons, puff up my chest, and act like
an extreme man. Because you won't show. You'll be too much of a
ppppppuuuuuusssssyyyyyyyy.
Keep up the dumb**** behavior. When you end up a with a vegetable
brain (not much farther to go, of course), I'll let Horvie visit.
Old December 29th 10, 07:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
pigo wrote:

On Dec 29, 10:54*am, "NormG" wrote:

Youi guys go ahead and ski the groomed and runs and puff up your
chests like it makes you "extreme skiers". I'll go ski, trees, rocks,
cornices and chutes without one and we'll have a beer afterwards. OK?

Bob,

I'm coming around to the helmet POV.

While working at Cypress as a ski instructor, I saw a fellow instructor
who wore a helmet (because he wanted to ski in the terrain parks) come
back to the shack with his helmet very nearly broken in two. I naturally
assumed that it had happened on a rail or some such in one of the parks,
but nope. He did it while cruising near the edge of a a green run. He
caught an edge and went sliding until he found a tree off the edge of
the run (they're not really very far away).

Yes: he was skiing faster than a lot of people would ski that particular
piece of terrain, but isn't that what a lot of us do to make an easier
trail we have to ski out on more fun: ski faster? I know I do.

He wasn't doing something crazy in the woods, he didn't hit his head on
a rail in a terrain park; he was just cruising fast and caught an edge.
That's something that happens to even very good skiers every day. Sure,
he was a little unlucky in what happen next, but if he hadn't been
wearing a helmet...

....he probably have been dead.

And that seems like too high a price to pay when there is such an easy
way to avoid it.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old December 29th 10, 07:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Dec 29, 12:12*pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,

*pigo wrote:
On Dec 29, 10:54 am, "NormG" wrote:

[...]

Yo, Wack Job? Did you wear a helmet when you walked into a Seattle
Police station and accused me of threatening your life?
What's that you don't say? You pppppppuuuuusssssiiiiieeeeeddddd out
the same way you ppppppuuuuussssssiiiiiieeeeeddddd out at Whistler?
You talked **** for months and then decided you didn't want to go to
jail for making a false police report?
WHISTLER!!!!
Old December 29th 10, 09:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article
,
Evojeesus wrote:

On Dec 29, 4:12*pm, pigo wrote:
On Dec 29, 3:40*am, Evojeesus wrote:
On Dec 29, 1:17*am, The Real Bev wrote:
Helmets are mandatory on racing tracks for great reasons.

And on race courses on skis too. But for free skiing? Not for 99.99%.
It's just part of dressing the part you want to play.

I'm not advocating making helmets mandatory for free skiing.

Oh, yes you are!!!!

(sorry, old habits are hard to break

I wear one one for a couple of reasons related to safety. I spent a lot
of time and money putting stuff into this head of mine, and it's served
me well - the knowledge... not the Doritos.

Regardless, even if helmets offered ZERO safety benefit, the simple fact
that I CAN SLIDE MY GOGGLES ON TOP OF MY HEAD AND THEY DON'T FOG UP,
EVER! makes wearing one worth every penny. Plus, it's a nice basket for
gloves, wrist guards, and neck fleece at lunch and at the of the day.
Old December 29th 10, 10:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Dec 29, 2:19*pm, Dave Cartman wrote:
In article
,

*Evojeesus wrote:
On Dec 29, 4:12 pm, pigo wrote:
On Dec 29, 3:40 am, Evojeesus wrote:
On Dec 29, 1:17 am, The Real Bev wrote:
Helmets are mandatory on racing tracks for great reasons.

And on race courses on skis too. But for free skiing? Not for 99.99%.
It's just part of dressing the part you want to play.

I'm not advocating making helmets mandatory for free skiing.

Oh, yes you are!!!!

(sorry, old habits are hard to break

You're trying to stop lying? How's that working for you.

I wear one one for a couple of reasons related to safety. *I spent a lot
of time and money putting stuff into this head of mine, and it's served
me well - the knowledge... not the Doritos.

Shame you didn't spend the money on morals, ethics, and a conscience.
Because no one ever put that stuff into your head.
Old December 30th 10, 01:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:16:23 -0800 (PST), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

my
brain actually functions.

The jury is still out on that one.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

Goggle Lens Materials and Scratch Resistance [email protected] Alpine Skiing 3 January 2nd 07 03:05 PM
Death by Snowboarder rosco Alpine Skiing 240 March 13th 05 04:19 AM
Death by Snowboarder root Snowboarding 7 March 4th 05 05:15 PM
Snowboarder Dead :-( Simon Brown European Ski Resorts 23 January 10th 05 09:16 PM
Snowboarder Learning to Ski [email protected] Alpine Skiing 8 December 19th 04 06:32 AM