Winter X Games

Old February 2nd 05, 12:55 PM
DZN

Default Winter X Games

Nobody mentioned them. I watched much of them on ESPN the last few nights.
Pretty good stuff, especially slopestyle and superpipe. I've noticed that
slopestyle for skiing is beginning to pick up trick-styles from
snowboarding. Interesting. Curious if anyone here watched them. They're
still on for a few more days I think 9 pm (EST) ESPN.

Old February 2nd 05, 04:22 PM
Chuck

DZN wrote:
Nobody mentioned them. I watched much of them on ESPN the last few nights.
Pretty good stuff, especially slopestyle and superpipe. I've noticed that
slopestyle for skiing is beginning to pick up trick-styles from
snowboarding. Interesting. Curious if anyone here watched them. They're
still on for a few more days I think 9 pm (EST) ESPN.

Are they skiing in the X games? I thought it was all a snowboarding event.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Old February 3rd 05, 01:05 AM

"Curious if anyone here watched them."

I'm too cheap for cable. When they were on ABC for free Saturday
afternoon, I was busy putting skis in my car so I could head out of
town.

Old February 3rd 05, 01:35 AM
lal_truckee

DZN wrote:
Nobody mentioned them.

Absolutely. Lame-ass made for TV spectacles with half-assed performances
by untrained (maybe untrainable?) children. And this is the very same US
TV that can't find time to show World Cup skiing.

Or WC moguls.

Or WC snowboarding.

Or WC telemarking.

What are we to make of such pathetic silliness? As a sporting event
these activities are the equivalent of reality TV survival type shows -
total schedule filler with no redeeming value.

But I don't actually have an opinion. Nevermind.

Old February 3rd 05, 07:05 PM
MattB

lal_truckee wrote:
DZN wrote:

Nobody mentioned them.

Absolutely. Lame-ass made for TV spectacles with half-assed performances
by untrained (maybe untrainable?) children. And this is the very same US
TV that can't find time to show World Cup skiing.

Or WC moguls.

Or WC snowboarding.

Or WC telemarking.

What are we to make of such pathetic silliness? As a sporting event
these activities are the equivalent of reality TV survival type shows -
total schedule filler with no redeeming value.

But I don't actually have an opinion. Nevermind.

Yeah, there are some silly events at those games, but I don't see it as
all bad. It is some publicity for winter sports (using the term loosely)
that may even result in some fat kid getting off the couch to try
skiing, snowboarding, or inverted snow motocross (but hopefully not so
much the last one). That being said I'd much rather watch the events you
listed but I have a feeling I'm in the minority of the TV-watching
public. I only got cable to watch The Tour anyway...

I worked at Crested Butte for the couple of games they held there and it
was quite a spectacle. The crowd turnout was usually pretty poor, so the
ESPN2 guys would go to where there were a few people milling around and
hand out banners and cowbells to all of them. Then they'd make them all
squash together and cheer madly at someone coming by. They'd film it and
when watched on TV it would actually look like more than the actual 15
people (ten of whom were ski area employees on break). Kind of funny I
thought.

My friend Jesse who won that "Race to Everest" thing on TV last year
told me a great quote the president of OLN told him (my version may not
be 100% accurate).
"TV is like sausage. The end product can be enjoyable, but not usually
if you've seen how it's made."

Matt

Old February 3rd 05, 11:37 PM
Richard Henry

What do motorcycles have to do with Winter Games?

The snomobiles I understand, but I always put the two-wheelers away when the
ice appears.

Old February 4th 05, 01:23 AM
ant

"MattB" wrote in message

I worked at Crested Butte for the couple of games they held there and it
was quite a spectacle. The crowd turnout was usually pretty poor, so the
ESPN2 guys would go to where there were a few people milling around and
hand out banners and cowbells to all of them.

When it was in Vermont, the crowd turnout was huge. they had promotional
stalls there, including a bright red Hummer with a huge sound system in it,
to attract people to come and find out about the Marines (Marine Extreme!)
adn do exercises to get free stuff. they had to change traffic conditions to
accommodate all the people coming in, and it was basically insane. Also, the
standard of competitor was pretty high. They were professionals and there by
invitation. We watched the final of the men's skiier cross from the chair,
and it was like WC racing over a very weird course. All these big semi
trailers for each skidoo competitor with all their promo stuff painted on
teh side...the skiier cross people had waxers and stuff. It was big.

ant

Old February 4th 05, 04:28 AM
MattB

ant wrote:
"MattB" wrote in message

[...]

We had the Marines Hummer too. And all the Mt. Dew you can drink and
free samples of "extreme" deodorant, key chains and stuff like that.
A friend of mine was in the boarder cross and it was a big deal. I just
think the people of CB weren't all that into it and others didn't want
to travel that far.
Some events had decent crowds like big air. But not the insanity they
were hoping for (like you describe).

Matt

Old February 4th 05, 02:41 PM
Chester Bullock

ant wrote:
"MattB" wrote in message

We had the Marines Hummer too. And all the Mt. Dew you can drink and free
samples of "extreme" deodorant, key chains and stuff like that.
A friend of mine was in the boarder cross and it was a big deal. I just
think the people of CB weren't all that into it and others didn't want to
travel that far.
Some events had decent crowds like big air. But not the insanity they were
hoping for (like you describe).

We were close to 2 largish eastern towns (Boston and NY) which probably made
all the difference! it was chaos. I wonder how it plays at Aspen?

FWIW, last night they were reporting that they had over 70,000 people
attend this past weekend.

Chester Bullock,
It doesn't make a difference what temperature a room is, it's always
room temperature.
- Steven Wright