first upgrade

Old December 23rd 04, 06:25 PM

Just following up on this older thread with what I've learned so far. I
just did two days this week and two days last week at Killington.
Riders I talked with on the slopes and lifts agree weight counts more
than height for board length. I realized what holds me back on steep
diamonds and moguls is I don't hop to switch sides; I only carve. Maybe
something stiff in the mid-150's is a better move right now.

On the other hand, I tried my friend's Burton Custom 161, and I loved
it. So much more stable than my control, and it held its speed on all
surfaces. Maybe I can handle something this size even on diamonds and
moguls with practice. I just really don't want to gyp myself out of
extra momentum-retention and stability I could have handled.

Old December 24th 04, 02:55 AM
lonerider

Just following up on this older thread with what I've learned so far.

just did two days this week and two days last week at Killington.
Riders I talked with on the slopes and lifts agree weight counts more
than height for board length. I realized what holds me back on steep
diamonds and moguls is I don't hop to switch sides; I only carve.

Maybe
something stiff in the mid-150's is a better move right now.

On the other hand, I tried my friend's Burton Custom 161, and I loved
it. So much more stable than my control, and it held its speed on all
surfaces. Maybe I can handle something this size even on diamonds and
moguls with practice. I just really don't want to gyp myself out of
extra momentum-retention and stability I could have handled.

The Burton Custom is just a much better board than your Ride Control
and would probably ride a lot better in a variety of length. The Ride
Control 158 has a 125cm effective edge with a 8.2m sidecut. The Burton
Custom 161 has roughly a 125.5 effective edge with an 8.3m sidecut. I
seriously doubt that you could tell a 1% change in effective edge and
sidecut. What you can feel is the stiff, progressive flex of the Custom
which gives you a more responsive and stable ride. You can also
probably notice the difference in speed (what you called momentum
retention) between the Custom's faster sintered ptex base and the
cheaper extruded ptex 1500 base of you Ride Control (btw, do you wax
your board every 5-7 days of riding? that makes a huge difference as
well).

If you like the Burton Custom 161, by all means get it. My point is
that you should not make the mistake of attributing tremendous
difference in feel between your Control and the Custom to the 1%
increase in length/sidecut and start thinking that you need a 160ish
board for a stable ride. I would advice comparing the 161 with a Custom
155 before making that conclusion.

Old January 12th 05, 09:14 AM

One more follow-up to this old thread, just in case it gets googled in
the future and someone wants to know what happened. After getting lots
of different advice, I ended up going even longer. I got a Timeless
164. I love it, and think maybe I could have gone even longer.
Maneuvering hasn't been a problem, and it holds it's edge really well.
I can achieve really fine-tuned cruising speeds without much
zig-zagging, and it's great for pulling ahead and away from people
dangerous to ride near. Plus, it really holds its momentum on the flat
parts, so taxing isn't so much work.

Old January 14th 05, 01:29 AM
Jason Medeiros

of different advice, I ended up going even longer. I got a Timeless
164. I love it, and think maybe I could have gone even longer.

wanna buy a timeless 67? that thing rocks my world. it's fast and
furious!! i'll sell it cheap.

--

jmed